Sign in to follow this  
DW

So..........

Whats everyones views on Gunn as manager now?

Keep up the good work Team Gunn!

He has always had the right credentialsto be a good manager and like i used to say, he just needed to have the cnace to make his own team. He was left with Roeder''s team and all he could do was bring in more loans. Now he has been able to make his own team and it is a team which i think can push for the league title this season.

the same as before, should never been appointed once let alone twice and a few wins against low grade opposition wont change my opinion, if we are doing well come xmas i may be tempted to concede abit,

[quote user="lynn canary"]He has always had the right credentialsto be a good manager and like i used to say, he just needed to have the cnace to make his own team. He was left with Roeder''s team and all he could do was bring in more loans. Now he has been able to make his own team and it is a team which i think can push for the league title this season.[/quote]

please explain those credentials.

He knows how to influence players and he is a person that cares about the club and he knows that it will do not good having a load of players that do not care about the club. Our most succssful period as a football club is when he played and the players then you could tell had some love for the club unlike last year when we had players such as Fotheringham and Marshall who didn''t care about the club.

i agree lynn, team moral is going to be key this season

[quote user="MXboy"]Whats everyones views on Gunn as manager now? Keep up the good work Team Gunn![/quote]

Good work so far, shrewd signings, good formations in the pre-season games. Unlike Roeder doesn''t care about the age of the player (Good enough, old enough) 

But still unproven where it counts. The new chairman has stated "it''s a results business"

With the new signings coming in I am getting more optomistic by the week for the new season.

I think next week is going to be huge week. Whaley on Monday and hopefully 2-3 more signings as well.

I''m sure Gunn would be the first to agree that nothing has been achieved yet.  While he appears to be making some good moves, the real test will come when the season starts and more importantly when the team hits a rocky patch in the season, which is likely for almost all teams. 

The other thing to consider is that there are probably another dozen or so teams in the division whose fans think their team is shaping up well for the season.  I don''t know what squads are being built elsewhere as I don''t pay a lot of attention, but I do know there are many more managers with experience of this league going into the season well prepared.

[quote user="lynn canary"]He knows how to influence players and he is a person that cares about the club and he knows that it will do not good having a load of players that do not care about the club. Our most succssful period as a football club is when he played and the players then you could tell had some love for the club unlike last year when we had players such as Fotheringham and Marshall who didn''t care about the club.[/quote]

Great point.

You will notice Gunn is bringing players in who see NCFC as a step up, not as them doing us a favor by staying.

He is buying players who are hungry to play in front of 20,000+ home crowds. To prove they are better than they are.

You can tell from his early interviews when Gunn suggested we needed more bosses on the pitch that he thought the major reason for our downfall last year was lack of character from many of the players.

Same as before.We''ve had some good ''run outs'' in pre season (nothing worth taking any real note of as an indication for next season, just provided some good experience to the younger players and confirmation of a squad thats fairly fit), and made some decent aquisitions (at that though we still lack the quality needed to be considered better than a mid table side).Theres been nothing more than that on the positive side i''m afraid, and you''d be a fool to get caught up in a wave of euphoria after getting the better of some below par opposition.I must of said it a hundred times, and i''ll say it again, Gunn ''will'' fail. He''s not of managing quality (he''s well and truly shown that. What he managed last season was a disgraceful and shameful attempt at keeping Norwich outside of the relegation zone), and "inept" is a most suitable word to fit his description in the current role he occupies at the club.I guarantee we won''t gain promotion this season to every member on this board, and at that any Norwich City fan.

He does seem to be doing some good things at the moment,and my optimism levels are slowly rising.But as they say,it is still ''early doors'' so won''t be getting my hopes up too high for now.

[quote user="John"]Same as before.We''ve had some good ''run outs'' in pre season (nothing worth taking any real note of as an indication for next season, just provided some good experience to the younger players and confirmation of a squad thats fairly fit), and made some decent aquisitions (at that though we still lack the quality needed to be considered better than a mid table side).Theres been nothing more than that on the positive side i''m afraid, and you''d be a fool to get caught up in a wave of euphoria after getting the better of some below par opposition.I must of said it a hundred times, and i''ll say it again, Gunn ''will'' fail. He''s not of managing quality (he''s well and truly shown that. What he managed last season was a disgraceful and shameful attempt at keeping Norwich outside of the relegation zone), and "inept" is a most suitable word to fit his description in the current role he occupies at the club.I guarantee we won''t gain promotion this season to every member on this board, and at that any Norwich City fan.[/quote]My thoughts are the same as John''s really.Not happy with him still but gotta put up with it.

I think people like John are doing the popular thing rather than the fair thing. Yes, Gunn failed the first time round. Yes, he should not have been given a second chance. But he has been given a second chance and I think it''s important we keep an open mind. If he fails again, it''s 100% down to him.Let''s keep an open mind - I think at this stage it''s all we can do.

Ok so far, he has done a lot of good work in the close season and appears to be building a squad we can possibly be proud of. Of course

the real test will come when we start the serious stuff. I am more optimistic now and am looking forward to the new season, that has to be

progress.[:)]

[quote user="John"]Same as before.

We''ve had some good ''run outs'' in pre season (nothing worth taking any real note of as an indication for next season, just provided some good experience to the younger players and confirmation of a squad thats fairly fit), and made some decent aquisitions (at that though we still lack the quality needed to be considered better than a mid table side).

Theres been nothing more than that on the positive side i''m afraid, and you''d be a fool to get caught up in a wave of euphoria after getting the better of some below par opposition.

I must of said it a hundred times, and i''ll say it again, Gunn ''will'' fail. He''s not of managing quality (he''s well and truly shown that. What he managed last season was a disgraceful and shameful attempt at keeping Norwich outside of the relegation zone), and "inept" is a most suitable word to fit his description in the current role he occupies at the club.

I guarantee we won''t gain promotion this season to every member on this board, and at that any Norwich City fan.
[/quote]

The fact he has totally changed the team and the philosophy at the club shows you what he thought of the squad he inherited last year.

I think you can only make a fair judgment based on how he does this season.

I think its clear from the chairmans words that although they support Gunn 100% he wont be given long if things don''t go well.

They are not affraid to make a tough decision if he doesn''t do well.

It is interesting that John can "guarantee" that we won''t win promotion...I''m not sure how this is possible unless he has a time machine (if so, do please enlighten us to the finishing places this coming season).

I''m still not totally convinced about Gunn and our chances, but can see that strides are being made to take us in the right direction, and am certainly more optimistic than I thought I''d be.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]It is interesting that John can "guarantee" that we won''t win promotion...I''m not sure how this is possible unless he has a time machine (if so, do please enlighten us to the finishing places this coming season). I''m still not totally convinced about Gunn and our chances, but can see that strides are being made to take us in the right direction, and am certainly more optimistic than I thought I''d be.[/quote]

If John does indeed know the finishing places this coming season I think it''s only fair that he should share the details with us so we can all put a few bets on....

I''m still not convinced that Bryan Gunn is the right man and I get the feeling that had our new Chief Exec been in post before his re-appointment the majority shareholders wouldn''t have had their own way so easily. I''m in no doubt that if results don''t go well early on then Mr Gunn will be out on his ear pretty sharpish even if Delia and MWJ still hold all the aces. Bryan really is in the '' last chance saloon '' this time.....

What worries me now is that we''ve had five pre-season wins on the spin. Often in the past when we''ve enjoyed a good run of friendly results we''ve fallen away when the serious business starts so I won''t be too upset if we now have a few close defeats in the run-up to 8th August.

Now where did I hide those lucky underpants? 

[quote user="ricky knight"]the same as before, should never been appointed once let alone twice and a few wins against low grade opposition wont change my opinion, if we are doing well come xmas i may be tempted to concede abit,[/quote] I wouldn''t say St Andrews are low they''re a SPL team..

[quote user="ricky knight"]the same as before, should never been appointed once let alone twice and a few wins against low grade opposition wont change my opinion, if we are doing well come xmas i may be tempted to concede abit,[/quote]

Same here Ricky, whilst on paper it looks okay tonight, proper and competitive league games will be the acid test.

Thay are just "after you Claude" friendlies......

How anyone can read anything into them beats me. Wait till the blood and guts players of Div.3 get stuck into us and then lets see what they''re made of.......

As far I am concerned it''s just gonna be more of the same......

The sound-checks have gone ok.....Now let''s wait and see what the performances are like in front of a large and critical audience.

Things will be very different once the real games start. But instead of drawing conclusions based on friendlies, or obsessing about personalities, or complaining about the lack of big money signings (when Gunn doesn''t control the purse strings) ask yourselves if Gun is addressing the problems of the recent years. Most on these boards agreed what they were: not enough money spent (which Gunn can''t change) / too many loan players / team too small / moral shot to pieces / no leaders on the pitch / no reserve team games so no continuity when the first choices had to be replaced. Is Gunn doing away with loan players , looking for bigger players, trying to improve moral, recruiting leaders on the pitch, and ensuring the reserves have a proper fixture list again?

Gunny said right from the start that he had no experience as a manager and was putting his faith in being able to construct a management team that would fill in the gaps.In that respect it''s no good judging him as a single entity at the moment.I wasn''t in favour of the appointment but would love to see him succeed

i realise results some of which have been against poorer teams yet how often has it happen we have lost against them .

not a chance i am going to judge gunn on last year i feel his hands were tied in what options he had .

he made one perminent signing last season and it was more than clear the loan system backfired badly on us.

how can you have team spirit and gell when we used so many players ?

if players dont get the chance to get to know eachother and how they play mistakes will be made .

getting shot of the players who did not to be here and bringing in players who want to win .

i have a feeling dare i say it we will do fairly well next season .

i really hope the big man is granted his wish and give the fans something to cheer about for a change .

good luck gunny .

Fullbacks still seem to be a major concern, and I''m not sure about the strikers, but overall the thing I''m most pleased about is getting rid of the uncommitted.

The relevant test though comes when the season starts.

He shouldn''t have been given the job given the way we collapsed at the end of last season, but if we allow a little leeway based upon the fact that he was lumbered with a rancid squad of Roeder''s creation and chalk that one up to experience, he''s actually doing ok in his preparations for a first full season.

Firstly he''s addressed the lack of squad numbers and brought in permanent players, most of which look good choices for L1.

Secondly the team is winning. And yes it is only crap teams, and friendly results have no bearing on performances in competitive games. But winning is a habit and for a team of new players, youngsters and triallists to be continually winning, regardless of the opposition or competitiveness, can only breed confidence.

Thirdly, we now have a competitive squad with options in most areas, and it''s clear that he''s aware of the remaining weaknesses and targetting them accordingly.

There is still work to do obviously. We are still weak as water up front and need at least 2 new faces with some height and power there, but on the plus side, he seems to have left his transfer budget alone in order to have the finances needed to tackle this. However, given the positive nature of his dealings thusfar, I have confidence that he''ll get at least one quality striker in.

As everyone says, the test will come when we start the season. The preparation appears to be going as well as anyone could realistically wish for. His areas of weakness are undoubtedly tactics and motivation, and if he can''t develop in these areas quickly then all the preparation and squad-building in the world won''t help in terms of winning games and building the neccesary momentum. Gut reaction is that he won''t last beyond November, but either way he will have left a better squad than the one he inherited.