Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

If you could sign any TWO of the trialists....

Out of all of the trialists we have had, which two would you sign?

My instinct (purely instinct, as I am relying on reports and friends that have seen them) would be:-

Askou and Maric.

But I would only want them at the right price (so reasonable wages). I would also like to see McVeigh on a one year deal, and Troy Powell, so if I could only choose two, then replace either of the above with either of them.

If Powell is prepared to play for cheap, then take him on and tell him that he has a year to learn how to use his weaker foot, put him out on loan (to Luton or somebody)...... and see how he does......

Maric and Askou, also McVeigh but i think a deal is as good as done for him so im not counting him as a trialist.

[quote user="barryevans"]anyone know what maric would cost to buy i rekon a couple of hundred  grand at least.[/quote]

I thought that he was a free agent? may be wrong....

It would have to be Askou and Maric.But i''d also like to have McVeigh on contract at the club for a year, along with Troy Powell, and as Juan said, develop his weaker foot, and we should hopefully have a very good player on our hands.I''d also like to give a contract to the right back from Spurs. A small financial contract for 6 to 12 months, and we''ll see how hew develops also, as he too looked fairly promising.

These players are available for a reason.  If you Askme these are known propsects that are being turned away by other clubs.  I am not saying that they wont work here,  but Warnock,  who despite his reputation at least has that knack of getting winning promoting teams (very few have that sort of success at more than 1 club) didnt fancy maric and would rather hold onto wantaway lee as a better option,  a lee who worked hard but remains as gamble as anyone,

If it was just two and purely based on the reports the outsanding  one have consistently been for McVeigh who clearly retains a touch of class.  His signing would be a huge gamble and has already been hugely debated,  but for me IF he can get leaner then I do feel we are desperate for both a touch of quality and creativity.  He would give us that option beyond Hoola that is still going to be missing even when Whalley signs.

Beyond that I know think we probably have enough defensive cover for League one.  It worries me that Askou appears a better player than Nelson,  but with Stef, Doc Spillane and  Nelson, and with Dumic in the wings,  I think we have enough now.

So that leaves the striker Maric. Not good enough for Palace (and as such worse than Lee) but a punt for us.  Probably.   Although I would have liked to seen less of Bridges and more of the ex spurs young striker (powell??).

Only 2 - McVeigh and Maric.  

Which only leaves a set of full backs and another striker to find -plus a replacement for Patty if he leaves.

Bridges (I know most will say Maric I just really believe if Bridges signs we will see the best of him) and Askou

I think McVeigh has probably already signed

Just because they are in frees that doesn''t mean that their former clubs did not want them. The player may have wanted to leave or the club may not have had to money to keep hold of the player. Since Michael Owen was on a free i suppose that means they would rather have Shola Ameobi up front ?

I would have to choose Maric and Askou since these two players have sounded pretty good to people that have seen them on these froums. I would also like to see McVeigh back because he has not been doing himself any harm of getting a contract this pre-season with some good performances and a couple of goals.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

So that leaves the striker Maric. Not good enough for Palace (and as such worse than Lee) but a punt for us.  Probably.   Although I would have liked to seen less of Bridges and more of the ex spurs young striker (powell??).

[/quote]

They are trying to get rid of Lee therefore Lee is not good enough for Palace. Warnock has his sights set on other targets apparently, there is no room for Maric or Lee - I would like to see them both here though.

I really hope we give up on Lee as he will cost more than his worth age wise from what palace are quoting

These players are available for a reason.  If you Askme these are known propsects that are being turned away by other clubs.  I am not saying that they wont work here,  but Warnock,  who despite his reputation at least has that knack of getting winning promoting teams (very few have that sort of success at more than 1 club) didnt fancy maric and would rather hold onto wantaway lee as a better option,  a lee who worked hard but remains as gamble as anyone,

If it was just two and purely based on the reports the outsanding  one have consistently been for McVeigh who clearly retains a touch of class.  His signing would be a huge gamble and has already been hugely debated,  but for me IF he can get leaner then I do feel we are desperate for both a touch of quality and creativity.  He would give us that option beyond Hoola that is still going to be missing even when Whalley signs.

Beyond that I know think we probably have enough defensive cover for League one.  It worries me that Askou appears a better player than Nelson,  but with Stef, Doc Spillane and  Nelson, and with Dumic in the wings,  I think we have enough now.

Only 2 - McVeigh and Maric.  

you make me laugh so maric is a palace cast off as in they don''t want him and would involve no fee.

and Lee is also not good enough for palace who want money for him, and you think we should persue him. You are crazy my friend, complete contradiction of yourself!!

Troy Powell is an odd one. I would say as everyone else - if he is the target man type then give him a contract for a year and see what he can do. This one footed thing is a bit of a myth if you ask me. I will name you two players - Davor Suker and Samir Nasri. Both heavily favour and favoured one foot, it doesnt mean the other is no good. And no one can claim they were not good players. I think it all depends on the overall strengths the player gives. What I don''t get is if Maric is too expensive why would we take him on loan? As for Askou - I don''t care how many defenders we already have if he is good we sign him. If he is better than Nelson then he is probably better than Doherty and will offer more in the long run than Dejan. If it is a case of one in and one out then, and this is ultra harsh, I would see if we could get anything for one of Dejan or Doherty. That''s how a football team works. You always look to improve it. You find someone better than what you have, you get rid of the weakest link to make space for him. As for Dumic - a first year pro - I would personally loan him out for a couple of months at the begining of the season if at all possible - see how he does and if he is ready to challenge for a first team place.There is an obvious problem if you could only sign two loan players. We desperately need a ''big'' man up front and we also need creativity. But at the same time you are talking about gambles.For me and based purely on reports from games so far it would be Maric and Askou. Both will be more important in the long run than McVeigh or Powell who people are talking about one year contracts for.If we are desperate for creativity we do have Adayemi who has been widely reported as a very skillful and gifted player - you could always give him a go.

[quote user="jjblyss"]I really hope we give up on Lee as he will cost more than his worth age wise from what palace are quoting[/quote]

Agreed!

Maric - Looks good but will he be motivated to do well on a cold tuesday night in decemeber?

Bridges - For me i would sign Bridges over maric. i think over the course of the season he will bag more goals. And the key one is he is proven at this level. I dont mind gambling on maric but only if we already have proven in the squad.

Mcveigh - I think this is a done deal. And after hearing his performances in pre-season i would have no issues signing him. May have lost a yard of pace, but an excellent finisher and crucially he can create things. Nothing should be read into his release by luton, last season he simply would have cost them to much to play him.

Askou - Not sure with this guy, but sounds like he is doing well. Quite simply if stefanovic stays then no contract if stef goes then offer him one if hes good enough. IMO would prefer stef to stay.

So for me i would sign up Bridges and Mcveigh, who are excellent league one players with plenty off experience.

askou and maric for me to solid lumps at a bargain price ie zilch !!!    And all this talk about palace again did anyone think maybe maric saw what a @&£%  warnock is and chose against it.