Sign in to follow this  
DW

Squad for the future.....

Is the squad Team Gunn are putting together a team for the future?

I cant remember the last time we had a squad of the same players for more than a season, they seem to come in then leave just as quick.

Thoughts...?

[quote user="MXboy"]Is the squad Team Gunn are putting together a team for the future? I cant remember the last time we had a squad of the same players for more than a season, they seem to come in then leave just as quick. Thoughts...?[/quote]

I hope he is putting a squad that can get us promoted, have 3/4 first team regulars and more squad players who will then be released so we can get a better squad for the next champs season.

Last thing I want this season is an acceptance of mid table signings to simply stop another relegation. 

It does seem a little like that.Nelson at 26 is reletively young for a centreback in terms of them hitting their peak - you should get three to four good seasons out of him if not more.Gill is 28 so should be at his peak - you need a couple of experienced pros in the team and this guy looks to be one of them. Perhaps even captain material as he knows the area and knows how people look up to the club.Tudur-Jones is 24 if he proves himself he should be good for anything up to seven or eight years. Defenitely a long termer - especially if he establishes himself as a regular.MacDonald is just 23. Whaley is 24.Theoklitos is 28 which again is reasonably young for a goalkeeper.Out of the trialists you have Askou who is early - mid twenties, Maric who is early twenties and a couple of others who look to have not had interest renewed in them.Then you have McVeigh and Bridges. The problem is that a real target man type is hard to find and there has been no indication yet that Maric will be offered anything - for me what is worrying is that the only player Gunn has confirmed as returning to Norwich with the squad is Askou. Is that because Maric, McVeigh and Bridges had already agreed to do so or are they out of the question now?One thing is for sure you do need a balanced team and you need players with pace. The exception to that was the play-off final season where we had a lot of experienced players with a couple of younger players.For me its good to see that we are looking at younger players that can bridge the boundries between the older players and the first year pros.We have Drury, Stefanovic and Doherty as our more wisened vets now and if Lee and McVeigh sign they would be others. One factor that has not been mentioned yet is the dressing room. When McVeigh was last here we had experienced a period of high spirits in the dressing room, perhaps he had something to do with that or is able to help generate that. Crichton was mentioned as one player who did this although he only ever had the bench. Perhaps this would be another factor in re-signing McVeigh.But on the whole I would agree with you - Gunn seems to be looking at players coming into form or in a ritch vein of it, neither of those can be a bad thing. A little caution as always but it looks as though Gunn is going to get the best out of Hoolahan which means we could be in for a stormer. I would have McVeigh as his back-up because I think the spot just behind the front two would be a good position for him too.Whether you call it a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield or a 4-3-3 I dont know.

We''ll know the quality of this squad soon enough, but I agree that the emphasis towards a younger squad of hungry players, rather than signing 30+ has beens and teenage loaners is to be applauded.

My bad - ok so he is another example of a player in his prime - all the more to sign this Askou guy and if we have to loose one then say thanks to Dejan.