Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

Simon Meeks RIP

Just wanted to mark the passing of a fellow Sheffielder and Norwich City supporting resident.  Simon died recently after a prolonged fight against Cancer.  He was born in Norwich and came to Sheff to study journalism and stayed on to write for the Sheffield Star, becoming responsible for reporting the comings and goings at Barnsley for many years.  However despite this connection he always made a point of where his real football affections were, and occasionally the Star would indulge him and allow an article or two about his passion for the boys in green and yellow.  The Barnsley fans didn''t seem to hold it against him (just think what might happen if one of the Archant reporters turned out to be Wolves fan for instance!).  I also think whenever the Star was short of an article or two he would ensure the latest goings on at Carra Rud would also feture in the paper. 

My best wishes to his family, including his brother who I met at the game versus Sheffield United last season, the day after Simon''s wedding.

[quote user="Rivvo"]RIP, was that the same ''Meeky''who used to post on WOTB?[/quote]

No, he''s still alive and well.

This is from the Sheffield Star obituary:"He was hugely respected at Oakwell, where manager Simon Davey and owner

Patrick Cryne had asked to be kept appraised of his condition."RIP.