Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

sorry another clingan thread but............

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/leeds_united/8156465.stm

why couldnt we risk a similar thing with clingan? if we keep him we improve our chances of going up although risk losing him on a free, but theres a good chance he may well sign a new deal upon promotion. I really get the impression he is quite happy here. or we cash in on him and spend a 3rd of the transfer fee on two players who are not good enough and we end up mid table at the business end of the season.

so thats my point why do our divisonal rivlas constantly show us the way forward wrt ambition?!

Keep super sammy clingan!!!

Because everyone would then say...

"Why didn''t we sell him last summer when he had a year left on his contract..."
(Sorry Tilly for using italics, do I have to pay you?)

The club can never win with some fans!

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

why couldnt we risk a similar thing with clingan? if we keep him we improve our chances of going up although risk losing him on a free, but theres a good chance he may well sign a new deal upon promotion. I really get the impression he is quite happy here. or we cash in on him and spend a 3rd of the transfer fee on two players who are not good enough and we end up mid table at the business end of the season.

so thats my point why do our divisonal rivlas constantly show us the way forward wrt ambition?!

[/quote]because we are in finacial S**T and cannot afford to lose £750k simple as that...even tho promotion would gain us more then taht..but hey thats the NCFC board for ya

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

[/quote]because we are in finacial S**T and cannot afford to lose £750k simple as that...even tho promotion would gain us more then taht..but hey thats the NCFC board for ya[/quote]

I''m afraid that''s about the size of it. The rebate money has been absorbed as has the Marshall fee. We need a fee for Sammy to provide a little money for "paid" transfers as window dressing and smoke and mirrors to have a story ready when people wake up and ask where their rebate money was spent when all we have are freebees.

For me it is quite different doing that for a striker than it is for a defensive midfielder, even a good one. Beckford is far more likely to get you promoted than Clingan is simply because of his position.As it seems to be a choice between Clingan and strengthening or attack, I''d coose the attack.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

[/quote]

Errrr.......... did you forget the "little" matter of being offered 6 million for Fabian Delph.........

They are probably now in a much better financial position to take the risk of running his contract down.

Before the Delph stuff he went on the transfer list quicker than you can say boo! (and you cant blame them)

From reading there were some inquiries from some champ clubs but they are not willing to pay much.

Fryatt proved you can be poor in the champs and a worldbeater in LG 1

As I said before the club would keep Clingan if he was willing to sign a contract extension.

Clingan obviously has a history of walking at the end of his contract so the financial risk of keeping him is huge.

1.1 million buys a lot of talent in the current free agent market.

I''d be tempted to hold onto him till January and see where we are in the table at that stage. If we could get a fee/player in exchange for Russell then I think keeping Clingan could be possible. Interesting how Fulham have moved to try to sign Greening obviously not interested in Clingan anymore.Same story with Hoolahan, if we''re not challenging in the top six I can see him being sold.

Its not the club who are controlling this situation. Clingan wants a move to the championship. If no one meets asking price or cannot agree terms then we will keep him end of!

[quote user="7rew"]For me it is quite different doing that for a striker than it is for a defensive midfielder, even a good one. Beckford is far more likely to get you promoted than Clingan is simply because of his position.

As it seems to be a choice between Clingan and strengthening or attack, I''d coose the attack.
[/quote]

I completely disagree with that, a defensive midfiled player who can use the ball well like Clingan can is going to be key to any potential push towards pormotion City make this season. He''s the only player we have now who good enough to compete at Championship/Premiership level. So the ambitious thing to do now would be to keep hold of Clingan as best we can, somehow I doubt the board will look at it like this, and he probably will be gone before next season.

does he have the guts for a third division scrap in the last ten games he did''nt have the guts for a championship scrap