Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Anglia Soccer Night

This is so poor it''s laughable. A sort of low rent version of the first year of "The Premiership on Monday" with the audience/fan participation business. And they dropped that after 1 season!

Anyway, saw it last night where Darren Eadie and a few others were calling for the creativity and vision of Mulryne to be brought back to the side. Now i know that largely on this board, we''re not big Mulryne fans and that many feel, me included, that he is too lazy and requires too much time on the ball. Time which he hardly got on Div 1 and will get even less in the prem. However, the endorsement of Mr Eadie has made me wonder again. If he played alongside Francis or Francis and Safri in a midfield 5, maybe we could afford him. Not sure tho.

What do people think - a luxury we can''t afford or the answer to our midfield conundrum?

If you say something enough, it starts to stick.

I''ve lost count of the times I have read sentences with the words "vision" "creativity" "passing ability" etc about Phil Mulryne, but I can''t think of ONE time he pulled a defence apart with his passing. Or even changed the pattern of a game with his passing, a la Crook.

I think Fat Phil has a very good press officer, because somehow he has picked up a reputation he, IMO, doesn''t deserve.

However, he and Holt were (again in my opinion) the finest midfield pairing we have had at the club for some time in 2001/2002. I would like to see him get his chance in time, but I''m not expecting any Berkovic/Alonso/Bernabia/Pires/Scholes performances.

No offence bananaman but

Berkovic is not exactly a top prem player                

Bernabia does nto even play in the prem league anymore?

Pires  is a right winger

Scholes is a attacking midfield player off the striker type making little runs

Alonso is about the only player I think you could say is of the type player Mulryne would be classed like

Come on give the chap a chance I think everyone deserves there chance he could be the answer to unlocking a few chances although i don''t think we can play bentley and safri and mulryne in the same team

And i wonder if bentley has got something in his contract to say he has got to play a certain percentage of the games Norwich play

I think young bananaman was more refering to midfielders that make a difference to a team with a match winning performance rather than the specific position that they play.

But in my opinion Mullers was good at first and now he''s just lazy. He needs to earn his place. He should be given a chance. I have no idea how he has been playing for the reserves. Maybe I''m wrong.

[quote]If you say something enough, it starts to stick. I''ve lost count of the times I have read sentences with the words "vision" "creativity" "passing ability" etc about Phil Mulryne, but I can''t think of...[/quote]

You''re spot on Bananaman, I''ve been waiting for someone to put my thoughts into words as well as that.

I could never understand him being labelled "City playmaker" after he spent the game giving nothing passes to the full back then turning away so as not to receive the return pass thus abdicating all responsibility, Rivers used to do the same.

However in order not be labelled myself, (moaner, negative etc.), the Mullers of three seasons ago would be the first name on my teamsheet and would be of great benefit to the team. Perhaps his period in the wilderness lately could inspire himself to regain his previous appetite.

mulryne would be in my first 11 any day . in this division huff and puff only get you so far and he is the one player we have who can pick out a killer pass . he may or may not be lazy , but in the few games he played for us last year he always seemed to change the game especially when coming on as sub , so id stick with him .

I was looking at the DVD of last season a couple of days ago and it has to be said that Mullers made some crucial contributions in crucial matches.

I also happen to think that he is one of the players who could actiually perform to standard in the Premiership if he is allowed to play in position - which is not out on the right

Given that he was allowed to play in the "middle" then he has the skill and vision to make a major impact

Banaman, you obviosuly wernt at the Sheff. Utd game a few years back where we were 2-0 down in the first 20mins, and then came back to win 4-2, Mullers scored 2 that day and dicated the play, you also obviosuly wernt at the Milwall home game last season, Walsall away and Stoke away either last season.

A thing that really annoys me is all this sideways rubbish, when you think back to the teams he has been in, who have we had making runs of the ball for him to pick out? because it wasnt Holt, it certainly wasnt Rivers, it wasnt McVeigh because he likes to come inside and it wasnt Roberts, Abbey, Neilson or Libbra. Also think of the type of football we played in those times, for instance the play off season, we played so so deap, the only options he had when he looked up was Iwan standing 30 yards away surrounded by defenders, and Nielson who had a touch that resembled a man made of rubber, so what would you do, hit long balls hoping Roberts and Nielson would do the business with 2 against 4 or keep ball?

Also most of you are calling Mulryne lazy, well most of last season he was injured or was on the bench, and previous campaignes he has also picked up injuries where he was out for months, that was because he was unfit and lazy i hear you say, well does the fact Eadie was injured alot make him lazy?

We all knew Iwan was partial to the odd bacon buttie or 3 but he was never branded lazy or fat. Well only at first lol. The only time we have ever had any players who would make off the ball runs was last season when Hucks and/or Leon were in the team, when Mullers hardly ever played, or if he did, played out of position on the right.

To conclude i dont think its fair to write off a player who in all honesty hasnt had a great deal of footall in in over a year now, and imo has very good potential.

I have a lot of time for mulryne.

I would like to see him get his chance.

I wouldn''t mind seeing him in a midfield that was francis/holt/mullers/bents/jonson with hux upfront on his own

I think he might provide an added creative boost for us. but i also must say that if we are to have a creative player (and i count bents in this list), then our players need to make consistent intelligent off the ball runs. we are currently not very good at that at all. you can have all the creativity in the world but if you can''t find someone moving into a good position, it''s all irrelevant.