Sign in to follow this  
Forever Norwich

So then are you impressed......

With how ''team Gunn'' has been doing with results picking the sqaud the players we are going in for and that?Has he suprised you with how he is doing or do you all still think doom and gloom is ahead of us ?

At the moment i would predict a play off finish, at absolute best, is the best we could wish for with this present squad.

Still time for improvement though.

I''m reasonably happy with the transfer ins and outs so far, but I feel we''re leaving it a bit late to get the last few pieces of the jigsaw into place.The way I see it we need 2 frontmen with presence - of which Maric could be one. Then a leftback and a rightback - preferably better than what we have rather than cover for what we''ve got. (Drury may not be right after injury and I don''t think Lappin is a left back)Add another winger to Whaley and it starts to look like a squad with some depth and potential.Of course, as already mentioned the real test comes with the competitive games.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Not really impressed, but I believe in giving things a chance, 10 games for me too.[/quote]heading in the  right direction, but you buy low league u generally get low league!!! i hope he gets this team as a team! ill give it 9 games!

I think we have moved to the stage where we won''t struggle with current squad.

It''s time to add the quality which will turn us into playoff contenders. (4-5 players)

I still think we will splash some cash on a good striker before the season starts along with Maric.

I do think it kind of hinges on us getting 750K for Clingan, probably why we are leaving it a bit late.

Also in Bryan Gunns latest interview he noted how we lack wide players at the club which obviously means this is an area

he is looking at. This was after talking about Whaley.

Bit worried about our options at left back. Any injuries and we are really short of quality. Not good considering that AD hasnt the best record recently of being injury free.

Even when he has played it seems he is nursing some kind of injury.

[quote user="CANARYCHARGE"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Not really impressed, but I believe in giving things a chance, 10 games for me too.[/quote]

heading in the  right direction, but you buy low league u generally get low league!!! i hope he gets this team as a team! ill give it 9 games!
[/quote]

lol I bid 8

I give it 10 games before making a proper decision on the squad. Although if we''ve played 5 games of the new season, and lost none, i''ll probably make a judgement there and then.

We are two or three players off a decent squad. Hoolahan staying is a huge plus, I think Nelson and Gill look more than decent for this division and I like that Gunn is looking at a mixed bag of players - young with potential and experienced pros. I like that Gunn is giving players the chance to impress with trials instead of going around signing anything and everything that fits into his budget. I like that his scouting system has clearly thrown up a few names and that he is pursuing those with some success. I think Whaley, if signed, would be a superb coup for us and I think is exactly the sort of signing we''ve been needing to make for blummin'' ages. I applaud his handling of contract renewals (tying down Micky Spillane so early was a very good move, IMO) and think he''s done 100% in who he''s released and who he''s offered new deals too (not withstanding Lee Croft who clearly wanted out). I''m not convinced about some of Gunn''s decisions. I personally think Cureton should be allowed to leave and his wages reinvested. I also am concerned at how slowly progress on getting that striker to sign on the dotted line has been. Very concerned. I appreciate, however, that strikers are at a premium and getting a good one on the cheap is difficult. I also wonder why Gunn continues to watch central midfielders (this story about this lad Lumsdon) when we really need natural width and have more than enough in central midfield with Tudur Jones, Gill, Pattison, Adeyemi, Lappin and possibly Russell and Clingan who can all do a job there. I''m also concerned that Gunn''s previous problems with poor decision making and team selections will continue into this season as well.If I were to mark, right here, right now I''d give 7/10. Some positive signs, but still more to do. But I applaud the posters who have quite rightly suggested we give Gunn 10 games to show us what he can do. He knows he''s not the universal choice here (heck, I''d say not even majority choice), he must get it right and make a good impression.

[quote user="TheCardinal"]We are two or three players off a decent squad. Hoolahan staying is a huge plus, I think Nelson and Gill look more than decent for this division and I like that Gunn is looking at a mixed bag of players - young with potential and experienced pros. I like that Gunn is giving players the chance to impress with trials instead of going around signing anything and everything that fits into his budget. I like that his scouting system has clearly thrown up a few names and that he is pursuing those with some success. I think Whaley, if signed, would be a superb coup for us and I think is exactly the sort of signing we''ve been needing to make for blummin'' ages. I applaud his handling of contract renewals (tying down Micky Spillane so early was a very good move, IMO) and think he''s done 100% in who he''s released and who he''s offered new deals too (not withstanding Lee Croft who clearly wanted out).

I''m not convinced about some of Gunn''s decisions. I personally think Cureton should be allowed to leave and his wages reinvested. I also am concerned at how slowly progress on getting that striker to sign on the dotted line has been. Very concerned. I appreciate, however, that strikers are at a premium and getting a good one on the cheap is difficult. I also wonder why Gunn continues to watch central midfielders (this story about this lad Lumsdon) when we really need natural width and have more than enough in central midfield with Tudur Jones, Gill, Pattison, Adeyemi, Lappin and possibly Russell and Clingan who can all do a job there. I''m also concerned that Gunn''s previous problems with poor decision making and team selections will continue into this season as well.

If I were to mark, right here, right now I''d give 7/10. Some positive signs, but still more to do. But I applaud the posters who have quite rightly suggested we give Gunn 10 games to show us what he can do. He knows he''s not the universal choice here (heck, I''d say not even majority choice), he must get it right and make a good impression.
[/quote]

I think this is a pretty good assessment of our current position.

I like the fact you look at the good and the bad and give a balanced view.

The Cureton position is very tricky for Gunn. Cureton has 1 year left on his current deal.

Overall he would probably be in favor of letting him go but its unlikley anyone would eat the rest of  his contract especially at his age.

Nobody is going to offer him a long term deal at his current wages.

Cureton may be a useful squad player this year but if we sign another 2 strikers (Maric +1) it''s possible we could loan him out to get a portion of his wages off the books for part of the season.

I think most fans (including myself) have some doubts on Gunns ability. That is totally understandable based on his lack of experience.

I do think its fair to judge him this season based on the fact that this is a totally different squad.

These are HIS players. The new Chairman supports Gunn but also issued the warning that Bryan knows its a results based business.

My opinion is that if we are less than to top 10 by Christmas it will be seen as failure.