Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

Average League One Wage

Ive been informed that the average wage in League One is between £900 and £1500 (perhaps Cam would be good enough to tell me if this is true} with signing on fees between £10,000 and £30,000. If this is the case, surely rebuilding the team on this low wage for a footballer, shouldnt be too much of a problem as we have shipped out all the high earners bar 1 or 2. This should leave us with plenty to play with, the £700,000 Foulger money, David Marshalls transfer fee, Clingans and Russells aswell when they go. We should therefore be one of the most competitive buyers in the league, and with paying a hell of a lot less in wages now, yet still getting the gates and ticket revenue we were in the prem, should set us up nicely for the future. If this situation is right, then we are nowhere near administration and infact relegation could prove a blessing in disguise as we will have seriously cut the wage bill, got a squad together we actually own, and still getting hefty gate recipts so the future, aslong as the free signings pay off actually looks quite rosey. Going from paying players like Hucks £20,000 a week to paying the likes of Maric and Gill a grand or so, will do this club financial wonders will it not? Best stadium in the League { Elland Roads a dump IMO } best support, now all we need is the best team. I just pray the freebies are good enough for this league, but if they are, things could finally start flowing for this club. What is it they say...1 step back 2 steps forward? Relegation hurt and ive only just got over it, but this is positive news for the future of our club. Im actually starting to look forward to life in League One now.

The futures bright, the futures Yellow!!! 

As with the previous two managers Arthur I''m pretty sure Gunns budget is good enough to make us competetive at bthe top end of our league. Let''s hope that, unlike the two previous managers, he doesn''t waste it.

lomng gone are the days where players got Tuppence Ha''penny and had to run a hotel by the seaside to make any living.. Stanley Matthews did that at Blackpool.

jas :)

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

This is the only survey I know and it''s three years out of date but I would think the top end is higher than the £1500 quoted by Arthur.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/163676000-the-average-salary-of-a-premiership-footballer-in-2006-473659.html

[/quote]

Thats just the average Cam mate. Top earners in this League like Jeramine Beckford are on around 7/8,000 {they paid that much to try and keep him there, his initial wage was just 2-3000, but players like Gill who came from non league football will be nowhere near that. A business source of mine who has intrests in a League One club told me they refused to sign a player when he asked for £1700 a week. The club, now in the Championship were paying an average wage of between £900-1500, just 2 years ago.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

This is the only survey I know and it''s three years out of date but I would think the top end is higher than the £1500 quoted by Arthur.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/163676000-the-average-salary-of-a-premiership-footballer-in-2006-473659.html

[/quote]

Thats just the average Cam mate. Top earners in this League like Jeramine Beckford are on around 7/8,000 {they paid that much to try and keep him there, his initial wage was just 2-3000, but players like Gill who came from non league football will be nowhere near that. A business source of mine who has intrests in a League One club told me they refused to sign a player when he asked for £1700 a week. The club, now in the Championship were paying an average wage of between £900-1500, just 2 years ago.

[/quote]

Sorry, they were in League one 2 years ago but are now in the championship.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

Read the link, the average for League One is £67,000 so I guess my source was roughly right at saying between £900-£1500 but more closer to the 1500 mark. Still, big savings for the club, and we should now be able to comfortabley afford our own squad and make a profit into the bargain.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]We''ll certainly be 1 of the bigger boys at this level in the market but saying that we have to get value for money, even in the championship we had 1 of the bigger playing budgets[/quote]

The big earners have either gone or are going, the free signings and trialist will not be on nowhere near the same wages as the overated crap we had in the championship. Remember most of the championship squad we had didnt even bloody belong to us. All im saying is this is our chance to get decent players for this standard, fill the squad up, and still have enough left for a bag of chips on the way home.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]We''ll certainly be 1 of the bigger boys at this level in the market but saying that we have to get value for money, even in the championship we had 1 of the bigger playing budgets[/quote]This is very true. Its one thing having the money but its a completely different ball game when it comes to spending it.We have indeed paid over the odds and especially when you think of how. Fotheringham with us for three seasons on one year deals - does that mean he got a signing on fee every season? No wonder he liked one year at a time. That and he was our top earner! Was he really any better than Carl Robinson? I am not sure. Wasnt as good as Mulryne at his best that is for sure.And in the team he was playing in he wouldnt have been my first choice player on that starting eleven. I think Clingan and Patty are better. At least they look up and forward and bring another quality to the pitch. Fotheringham was a good zonal marker but not a great tackler.Marshall is another - good shot stopper but is he really better than Lee Camp who we could have signed for £100k? Or is he so much better that he justified the additional wages and higher transfer fee? I am not sure he was the best keeper for that money.The final thing that is enough to make you sick is the loan players. You have to wonder how much the likes of Sibierski, Lupoli and Lita were on, possibly even Gow. To me that is like burning money especially when you sonsider the failure of Sibierski and how much playing time Lupoli and Gow got. Lita was the only one who really seemed worth while but even then he cost a lot of money.

The average for League One established first team players is about 2k per week but they can get a win bonus, goal bonus etc. on top of that. Strikers tend to get a bit more. I know of a top League One striker on 4k per week.

I must make a point of the fact that the 900-1500 is an AVERAGE. Therefore there will be players earning more than 1500 and players on less than 900.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

lomng gone are the days where players got Tuppence Ha''penny and had to run a hotel by the seaside to make any living.. Stanley Matthews did that at Blackpool.

[/quote]

1500 a week is hardly film star wages..is it?

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

our players wont go down to 900 quid a week, they will be on 2 or 3 k a week, even after the relegation wage drop

[/quote]

We have lost most of the big money earners (although there are a couple left) and you must remember a huge percentage of our current squad are from the youth system where they won''t be on a huge wage. So even if some of the players are above 2/3k on average it won''t be that much more than any other team.

We have to remember that those figures were the average across the league.  As Norwich have one of the biggest crowds, just come from the Championship and a majority of the players have come from the championship, I would expect that the salaries at Norwich are amongst the highest in the league.  I wouldn''t expect Norwich''s average to be in that range.  In the same way that I would expect a team like Leeds to have a higher than average salary and teams like Yeovil, Exeter and Wycome to have lower than average.

It''s just a fact in football that players will try and get as high wage as they can and the agents will usually be able to get a bigger wage from a club they believe have more money.  That''s why the richest clubs (or those that appear rich) in each of the leagues will always pay over the odds.  I''m sure Norwich, Southampton, Charlton & Leeds all are.  If you look in the other leagues it is the same.  I''m sure QPR, with their owners are paying over the odds, and definitely Chelsea and Man City are! 

[quote user="we went down"]what a joke thread ,norwich have at least 6 players on £5000+ a week...........FACT[/quote]

these players of course told you what they earn didnt they?

[quote user="dhickl"]

We have to remember that those figures were the average across the league.  As Norwich have one of the biggest crowds, just come from the Championship and a majority of the players have come from the championship, I would expect that the salaries at Norwich are amongst the highest in the league.  I wouldn''t expect Norwich''s average to be in that range.  In the same way that I would expect a team like Leeds to have a higher than average salary and teams like Yeovil, Exeter and Wycome to have lower than average.

It''s just a fact in football that players will try and get as high wage as they can and the agents will usually be able to get a bigger wage from a club they believe have more money.  That''s why the richest clubs (or those that appear rich) in each of the leagues will always pay over the odds.  I''m sure Norwich, Southampton, Charlton & Leeds all are.  If you look in the other leagues it is the same.  I''m sure QPR, with their owners are paying over the odds, and definitely Chelsea and Man City are! 

[/quote]

I would certainly expect you to be towards the top end of things although no doubt some of your Championship players will have reductions built in to their contract in the event of relegation (pretty much standard practice).  Leeds certainly pay well over the odds for certain players - I suspect that Beckford is already on a five figure sum.  Many clubs have a few players, mostly attackers I would say, who will be on higher than average wages.  Yeovil are notoriously poor payers (the previous manager quit because they wouldn''t even allow him a couple of "star" wages).  Southend have (temporarily or otherwise) run out of money.  Southampton impossible to assess at the moment.  There have been a few Colchester players on around £4k a week in recent times although three have subsequently left in the last couple of seasons.

The biggest money ever paid by Colchester was to Sir Teddy of Sheringham but half of that was funded privately by the owner.  I am reliably informed that when Jamie Cureton left us he was on just under £3k and that Norwich doubled his money or so he claimed in an establishment that passes for night life in Colchester.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="we went down"]what a joke thread ,norwich have at least 6 players on £5000+ a week...........FACT[/quote]

these players of course told you what they earn didnt they?

[/quote]

We went down, I agree with you 100%, People seem to forget that some players signed contracts while we were in The Championship. Also £3000 to £5000 a week is not as much as it seems when you take into account the length of a footballers career.

As fans and shareholders why are we not allowed to know EXACTLY who is on what, and what the bonuses are?

[quote user="corbs"]As fans and shareholders why are we not allowed to know EXACTLY who is on what, and what the bonuses are?[/quote]

Currently the Data Protection Act would be cited.

if that is the case and wages are as low as that .

where is the 700k gone ? and as you said the money we recieved from transfers ?

we have 2 weeks to bring in players of the money that was promised by the board to the fans .

maybe im jumping the gun and we may sign a couple of players with a transfer fee attatched to them .

but not as yet .

So new signings like Gill and Nelson will be on £5000 will they? Boll#ocks!!! Gill was probably on about 500 at Exeter and Nelson 800ish, so there is no way these new signings are coming here on big wages.