Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Re: Stop calling McVeigh McSmall Pinkun!

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Jim Kent"]That''s right his name is McVeigh.[/quote]

I am offended by your being offended of a harmless nickname.[/quote]I am offended by your being offended of a harmless nickname.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Jim Kent"]That''s right his name is McVeigh.[/quote]

I am offended by your being offended of a harmless nickname.[/quote]I am offended by your being offended of a harmless nickname.[/quote]Silly me, I meant to say:I am offended by your being offended at him being offended by a harmless nickname.Now I am just offended at my own ineptitude.

I''m not offended in the slightest. I just feel he should be called by his proper name by our local media.

If he is described as pint sized. I have no problem with that. For the record I am not a shorty myself, but 6ft1.

If Paul McVeigh was called Paul McSmall by a leading national paper after a league game. I would think they haven''t done there research and don''t know his name.

I take it a lot of you don;t agree, but I feel things like someones name should be accurate. Even if it''s an attempt at humour.

Sorry i dont get your point?On the forum surely Pete can joke and call him McSmall.But in all the reports it says Paul McVeigh so the pink''un are doing nothing wrong.

Is the Pink''un actually classed as a newspaper, more of a magazine?

Magazine''s use nicknames for football players all the time!

Jim Kent, are you opposed to Paul Gascoinge being called ''Gazza'' and and what about Razor Ruddock? Oh and what about Becks?

What?!Is this a joke? Why on earth are you concerned by this? Are there not more pressing matters at Norwich, or better yet, your life? Amongst everything else, "Sports Desk - Pete" referring to Paul "McVeigh" as Paul "McSmall" is ''the'' problem for you at this moment in your life? How can this be an ''issue'' for you?!.... How?!.... Ridiculous.

What I find funny is you claim to feel that way, but still spend time replying. If this is so trivial to you don''t reply to my post.

I was following the Twitter updates on the match and it was said Paul McSmall is coming on. Now to me that would be like Radio Norfolk calling him Paul McSmall on their commentary.

Chris Lakey can call him McVeigh so why can''t the Pinkun.

I''m sorry if I have upset anyone, but I am just posting a personal opinion.

Would you prefer it if we just called him ''That ol'' riverdancin, Guiness drinkin'', fiddle-a-playin'',  Irish leprachaun''?

There have been times when 2 or 3 thousand people have sung "we love you paul mcveigh, despite your lack of height........"

Clearly a bloke on a forum can happily called him Paul McSmall if he wishes.

Paul McSmall, Paul McSmall, Paul McSmall, Paul McSmall, Paul McSmall, Paul McSmall    <-------------- Does this offend you?

Never called anyone lanky? Fatty? Baldy? Chinny? Shorty? Chalky etc? Watch Gran Torino, you will have a field day with the superb Clint Eastwood calling Koreons fish heads and slope eyes and blacks spooks.

[quote user="ob1"]It should be "Small McVeigh", since "Small" rhymes with "Paul"... and rolls of the tongue better.[/quote]I wouldn''t agree with that, and i''m not quite sure where your coming from.It''s the very reason that Small rhymes Paul in "Paul McSmall" that it rolls off the toung better.Anyway, thats how i see it.

Jeeeez, Whittle and Shyster are feeling persecuted today... that pesky PC brigade out to get you again huh??

OR

is someone pointing out (rightly or wrongly) that "proper" journalists should use "proper" names?

I don''t necessarily agree, but at least I get the point of the original

post. Mr Kent is NOT offended that somebody is being called small, so

you''ll have to look a bit harder to find today''s "this country''s going

to the dogs" topic.

"I wouldn''t agree with that, and i''m not quite sure where your coming from.It''s the very reason that Small rhymes Paul in "Paul McSmall" that it rolls off the toung better.Anyway, thats how i see it"

See where you are coming from, but Small McVeigh is descriptive i.e. McVeigh is small = Small McVeigh, but "Paul McSmall" in itself means nothing.

"Paul McSmall" sounds like it is the nickname for "Paul McCall", "Paul McHall", "Paul McDrawl" or something, doesn''t sound like "Paul McVeigh" and hence could be a about anyone. I think the "Veigh" bit it kinda important, otherwise it could be any small Paul, but there is only one Small McVeigh.

[:)]

[quote user="ob1"]"I wouldn''t agree with that, and i''m not quite sure where your coming from.It''s the very reason that Small rhymes Paul in "Paul McSmall" that it rolls off the toung better.Anyway, thats how i see it"

See where you are coming from, but Small McVeigh is descriptive i.e. McVeigh is small = Small McVeigh, but "Paul McSmall" in itself means nothing.

"Paul McSmall" sounds like it is the nickname for "Paul McCall", "Paul McHall", "Paul McDrawl" or something, doesn''t sound like "Paul McVeigh" and hence could be a about anyone. I think the "Veigh" bit it kinda important, otherwise it could be any small Paul, but there is only one Small McVeigh.

[:)][/quote]Ok, i see where your coming from [Y][;)]Though if we''re going to account for that, then i imagine we''re going to have our work cut out finding him another suitable nickname? [:^)]... Anyone got any ideas?

[quote user="Mook"]Jeeeez, Whittle and Shyster are feeling persecuted today... that pesky PC brigade out to get you again huh??

OR

is someone pointing out (rightly or wrongly) that "proper" journalists should use "proper" names?

I don''t necessarily agree, but at least I get the point of the original post. Mr Kent is NOT offended that somebody is being called small, so you''ll have to look a bit harder to find today''s "this country''s going to the dogs" topic.[/quote]

Arthur or Mr whittle to you mook.Its no wonder the local chavs in the greyhound take a dislike to you in the multi-cultured metropolis called Diss...........

[quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"]

[quote user="Mook"]Jeeeez, Whittle and Shyster are feeling persecuted today... that pesky PC brigade out to get you again huh??ORis someone pointing out (rightly or wrongly) that "proper" journalists should use "proper" names? I don''t necessarily agree, but at least I get the point of the original post. Mr Kent is NOT offended that somebody is being called small, so you''ll have to look a bit harder to find today''s "this country''s going to the dogs" topic.[/quote]

Arthur or Mr whittle to you mook.Its no wonder the local chavs in the greyhound take a dislike to you in the multi-cultured metropolis called Diss...........

[/quote]Well said Mr Whittle, sir.