Sign in to follow this  
S.Yorks Canary

£650k for Clingan - a joke

on EDP due to go through this week.

£650k is a joke unless there are sell on clauses that are realistic ie we will get some cash from them.

Would have rather kept him than sell on for that.......

However good Clinkers looked compared to our other midfielders, the bottom line is that his side was relegated to League One, so he''s hardly a marquee signing for a Championship side. The figure''s probably reasonable, and, if put straight into the budget ( a big if) could be the key to us getting straight up.

I think 650k with a sell on clause would be alright, as think that if he goes back to the champ and keeps playing well then teams like Fulham might be back sniffing around and offering £3M again.

Would be crazy business if we have not included a sell on clause.

[quote user="S.Yorks Canary"]

on EDP due to go through this week.

£650k is a joke unless there are sell on clauses that are realistic ie we will get some cash from them.

Would have rather kept him than sell on for that.......

[/quote]How is it a joke?  The fact that it is Coventry coming in for his shows just how over rated he was last season, he looked very good simply because we were very poor.  He is a good Championship player, nothing more, nothing less. You would be living in dream land if you thought for a second we would receive the reported 1+Million being branded about.  650K is a very good deal for a player with a year left on his contract.

To be honest, considering the amount that was quoted in Jan for him (albeit the move was to Fulham), I think selling him 6 months down the line for £650k is a very steep drop. I know with relegation and the fact he has only 1 year left on his contract does lower the price, but by this much? But then again maybe we aren''t in a position to be too picky over transfer fees.

£650K is not enough in my view but i guess we are quite desperate to sell and he only has a year left on his contract. Another of the things that annoyed me about Doomcaster was these short contracts he signed a number fo our players up to, presumably in case we needed to offload and cut the wage bill. problem was he did it with the wrong players so we have the likes of Clingan entering the last year of their contract whilst Drury was inexplicably given a 4 year deal. i can see the same sort of thing happening wityh Cody if he has a good season this season and astarts to attract attention.

I think its a reasonable fee, if he was an attacker it would be closer to £1m-£1.5m but I''m happy with that.

most people have accepted that he is off anyway. It''s more how we spend the money that most people will be concerned about.

Bought on a free, one year of his contract left, and wanting to play at a higher level... so no real surprises or disappointments really!

The problem is that the £3million price tag was never confirmed it was a rumour. And to be honest £3million is one figure that seems to be bandied about quite a bit when prem clubs come in for lower clubs players normally because that is about their limit.It could have been anything - maybe a cash plus player deal that was seen as being that much?The other thing that effects prices is the market. How many good midfielders are about out there at the moment? There are quite a few around and available. For example Huddlestone was supposedly moving to Fulham for £5-6million - at double the money are far better player than Clingan.Then you could look at other players that have been sold recently or quoted as being near to being sold. £1.5million for Ched Evans for example - is Clingan the same calibre of player?Then look at the other perspective - if Norwich were buying him off another team I would be annoyed if we payed more than say £800k for him.He is a good player at what he does but I don''t think he is anything really special.

Forgive me if this is wrong but I was under the impression that a player can buy out the remaining year of his contract? Now £650,000 over a year equates to roughly £13k per week I think? Does that sound about right as to what Clingan was earning here? If so it''s probably the only price we were ever going to get.

Sometimes people just need to take off their yellow-tinted spectacles. He''s a League One player with a year left on his contract and, although he''s a good player and I''ll be sorry to see him go, he''s not exactly world class. As someone has already said, it''s Coventry bidding for him, not Man City and not even a Newcastle or a Reading.

I''d love to get more than £650k but wouldn''t expect too much more. If the board are as good as their word, this should go straight into Gunn''s transfer pot and get us another two or three players.

Clingan wont have been on as much as that - Fotheringham was the highest earner and he was rumoured to have been on nearer ten but no more.

Who has paid the agents fee? Assuming that Coventry have held their line it looks like we may have coughed for this. God we must be desperate for the cash and to offload his wages.

the replies on here sum up how arrogant some norwich fans can be!!! he wants to go, and is out of contract in a year so can go for nothiong!! lets take the money and run for gods sake, whatever we get for him is PROFIT!!! we arent exactly in a position to bargain as we are in the THIRD tier of english football now!!!

Yeah - whats going to happen with the ''profit'' as it sure as hell doesnt look like it is going to get spent on the team.

And we will stay in the third tier at best if we continue to sell our top players and not replace them.

Obviously Clingan has not been sold yet and we might replace them, just talking from experience.

I like the way Leeds have shown some ambition by denying a much more saleable asset in Beckford the chance to leave even though he only has a year left. 

It is really hard to keep players when they want to leave but do not think that is the case with Clingan, think it is more the club want his wages off the books.  Just hope they tell us why he is sold.

[quote user="Beauseant"]However good Clinkers looked compared to our other midfielders, the bottom line is that his side was relegated to League One, so he''s hardly a marquee signing for a Championship side. The figure''s probably reasonable, and, if put straight into the budget ( a big if) could be the key to us getting straight up.[/quote]

But then Charlton are holding out for £2.5m for Nicky Bailey! Not half the player Clingan is! We always seem to undervalue our own. Delph £6m? No way. Clingan £650k? Bargain for Coventry.

I would rather have kept him. The boy is very good. Anyone that says different is clueless.

Another transfer window of profit for the NCFC board.....

[quote user="Delia Out"]He''s worth at least £750,000 to £1m [:@][/quote]

£750K less the agents cut = circa £650K

[quote user="Desert Fox"]

£750K less the agents cut = circa £650K

[/quote]

£650k less the agent''s cut = circa £550k.

Yes it''s disappointing that our best player is off for a fee I think is less than his worth, but there you go. Let''s hope the money is reinvested back into the team with maximum effect.

I have not seen anything to say that we are desperate to sell,  only that clingan was desperate to leave, since fulham expressed an interest.

He looks good against the midfielders we had last season,  but he remains a limited and more importantly inconsistent footballer,  who played poorly in the second half of the season.  £3m was always over the top.   £650k for an average midfielder w ho doesnot want to play for the club he helped relegated is good for me.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

[quote user="lincoln canary"]2. where getting a carlisle reject to replace him, happy days![/quote]

Who''s that then?

[/quote]

Ignore this - just seen it - sorry.

[quote user="rjwc22"]

And we will stay in the third tier at best if we continue to sell our top players and not replace them.

Obviously Clingan has not been sold yet and we might replace them, just talking from experience.

I like the way Leeds have shown some ambition by denying a much more saleable asset in Beckford the chance to leave even though he only has a year left. 

It is really hard to keep players when they want to leave but do not think that is the case with Clingan, think it is more the club want his wages off the books.  Just hope they tell us why he is sold.

[/quote]

I agree with this entirely. The dumbing down of our team continues unabated. Clingan''s replacement is already here - see OTJ who cost nothing unless we get promoted. I know who I''d rather have even if it means losing him for nothing at the end of the season. Players will stay if the club refuses to sell. NCFC is a soft touch and this is yet another sign of the desperate financial straits the club is in. This move driven by financial necessity rather than a strategic move to build a team capable of promotion. Another season of toil and turgid football becons.

no he isn''t

1. he is not actually that good.

2. he has spent most of his career playing in League 1 bar the odd season

3. he''s not even a Northern Ireland regular.

we signed him on a free so whatever money we make is profit..... and lets face it if clinkers was that good there would be more than 1 club in for him and we could entice a bidding war.. there isn''t and we can''t...

its a good transfer fee and im happy with it.

jas :)