Sign in to follow this  
Brian Gunns Hair

What has happened to Dejan Stefanovic?

Erm - have you been on holliday or something?Pinkun reported that Gunn had informed them that Stefanovic had been left at Colney to continue fitness and ball work there - he was not deemed to be ready for the games in Scotland although the target was to have him ready for the next lot of friendlies I believe.Also prior to that the Pinkun interviewed Stefanovic who stated that he wanted to stay and that he had taken a wage reduction due to relegation. He also indicated that he may be open to negotiation on the reduced wage if the club were interested in keeping him rather than selling him etc. From the suggestions since it sounds like he has done just that and is to stay with the club.

[quote user="Brian Gunns Hair"]

Still injured?

He his on high wages aswell!

I do hope he performes next season.

[/quote]

I have to say there are some huge question marks over his future at the club?

At his age he may not make it back to being 100% with that serious an injury..

If we add Askou it tends to point to us having probably 1 too many CB''s

His being probably the biggest wage bill it makes the most sense to loan or sell.

I am sure that he could find a club in the champs willing to take him on.

[quote user="chicken"]Erm - have you been on holliday or something?

Pinkun reported that Gunn had informed them that Stefanovic had been left at Colney to continue fitness and ball work there - he was not deemed to be ready for the games in Scotland although the target was to have him ready for the next lot of friendlies I believe.

Also prior to that the Pinkun interviewed Stefanovic who stated that he wanted to stay and that he had taken a wage reduction due to relegation. He also indicated that he may be open to negotiation on the reduced wage if the club were interested in keeping him rather than selling him etc. From the suggestions since it sounds like he has done just that and is to stay with the club.
[/quote]

I know he said that but if we take Askou on we will have.......... Doc, Nelson, Askou, Stephens, Dumic and Dejan.............

That looks one too many to me......... the fact that Gunn is looking at another CB suggests either they feel he won''t make it back from the injury or they plan on someone leaving (or being loaned)

6 CB''s look about right to me, Doc and Nelson look like they will be the first choice pair, that leaves Stefanovic and Askou as cover and Stephens and Dumic have ony just come through the youth ranks, so i doubt they''ll feature much next season. Its good to see that we have so many options in one position. :D

[quote user="USAcanary"][quote user="Brian Gunns Hair"]

Still injured?

[/quote]

His being probably the biggest wage bill it makes the most sense to loan or sell.

[/quote]Did you read what I posted? Its all been in articles on the Pinkun - Gunn has stated he is to stay or else why, in the same article, would he say that Clingen and Russell are to leave and say that Dejan is to stay to get fit for the start of the season?It has been stated by both the player and the club that his injury is past him and that he simply needs fitness and strengthening work. He is also not on as high wages as you are suggesting. And from the way people at the club talk he wasnt on a high wage to begin with - he wasnt up there with Fotheringham or Marshal even though he has a better track record and more pedigree.As for 1 Centre back too many. With Askou we would have four or five or possibly six depending on how you look at the situation. You have Stefanovic, Nelson, Doherty, Askou, Spillain and Dumic. So far in pre-season we have seen both Dumic and Spillane play at right back.If you look at how a lot of clubs blood their centrebacks they tend to put them at full back first - normally because as youngsters they have a bit of pace that can get them out of their misstakes and that they need to learn that underated skill of tackling.Good examples of this are players like Southgate who was played as a full back early in his career, Micah Richards, Silvestre, Shackell for us.In addition to that you have to consider we have a reserve side to run and we need to consider the future. Dejan is here for one more season on his current contract - he will be 35 come the end of it. Even if he does stay another season he will need replacing.Take an injury or two and then that defence would look bare. Spillain may be asked to play centre midfield if someone gets injured or suspended.One of the reasons we had no consistancy last season was because of suspensions and injuries. Kennedy and Dejan injured we had one centreback. If the same happened again or a player suspended we would be back to the same position. Add to that the fact that it meant players were in the team because they were the only ones to be in the team and not because they were playing well.We need a squad of players challenging for those positions - for that you need to be looking at two experienced pros in each position and a young professional fresh from the accademy. If we can afford to do that then we have plenty of competition for places which can only be healthy. The younger players could get loans and be recalled if injuries occur to other players or they may already be good enough to challenge for a first team spot as they are.

This is reported as hearsay & you can take it or leave it, but apparently after the match at Fakenham, Chippy said that Stefanovic has now decided he wants to leave.

Heard that from someone who was at the match & I have no reason to doubt his word.

Personally, I think he''ll be going depending on whether someone is willing to take a risk on someone his age, recovering from a long lay off.

I personally dont care if he stays or goes.  But I think it may be fair to assume that Dumic and Stephens might be a smidge too young.  His wages must be a huge issue though.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="USAcanary"][quote user="Brian Gunns Hair"]

Still injured?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Did you read what I posted? Its all been in articles on the Pinkun - Gunn has stated he is to stay or else why, in the same article, would he say that Clingen and Russell are to leave and say that Dejan is to stay to get fit for the start of the season?

It has been stated by both the player and the club that his injury is past him and that he simply needs fitness and strengthening work. He is also not on as high wages as you are suggesting. And from the way people at the club talk he wasnt on a high wage to begin with - he wasnt up there with Fotheringham or Marshal even though he has a better track record and more pedigree.

As for 1 Centre back too many. With Askou we would have four or five or possibly six depending on how you look at the situation. You have Stefanovic, Nelson, Doherty, Askou, Spillain and Dumic. So far in pre-season we have seen both Dumic and Spillane play at right back.

If you look at how a lot of clubs blood their centrebacks they tend to put them at full back first - normally because as youngsters they have a bit of pace that can get them out of their misstakes and that they need to learn that underated skill of tackling.

Good examples of this are players like Southgate who was played as a full back early in his career, Micah Richards, Silvestre, Shackell for us.

In addition to that you have to consider we have a reserve side to run and we need to consider the future. Dejan is here for one more season on his current contract - he will be 35 come the end of it. Even if he does stay another season he will need replacing.

Take an injury or two and then that defence would look bare. Spillain may be asked to play centre midfield if someone gets injured or suspended.

One of the reasons we had no consistancy last season was because of suspensions and injuries. Kennedy and Dejan injured we had one centreback. If the same happened again or a player suspended we would be back to the same position. Add to that the fact that it meant players were in the team because they were the only ones to be in the team and not because they were playing well.

We need a squad of players challenging for those positions - for that you need to be looking at two experienced pros in each position and a young professional fresh from the accademy. If we can afford to do that then we have plenty of competition for places which can only be healthy. The younger players could get loans and be recalled if injuries occur to other players or they may already be good enough to challenge for a first team spot as they are.
[/quote]

What about Stephens who has played nothing but CB on this tour?

Even if we let Dejan go we still look pretty strong in this position if we sign Askou

Can''t see who is going to want Stefanovic. Not good enough, too old, too slow, too injured, high wages.

[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"]I personally dont care if he stays or goes.  But I think it may be fair to assume that Dumic and Stephens might be a smidge too young.  His wages must be a huge issue though.[/quote]

Plus his age, plus the seriousness of the injury.........

As I said I dont have any hard facts but I just suggested there are some huge question marks given we look keen on signing Askou.

Its also worth noting that not only is he probably the highest paid CB, the oldest CB but also the shortest by a long way at 5 11"

Its no secret that we have been looking to get bigger and more physical as a team.

[quote user="Lewie McDonald Im lovin it"]How much can we get for him?
[/quote]

I dont think we would look for any fee?

Its possible we could loan him out to get the wages off the books?

[quote user="USAcanary"]

[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"]I personally dont care if he stays or goes.  But I think it may be fair to assume that Dumic and Stephens might be a smidge too young.  His wages must be a huge issue though.[/quote]

Plus his age, plus the seriousness of the injury.........

As I said I dont have any hard facts but I just suggested there are some huge question marks given we look keen on signing Askou.

Its also worth noting that not only is he probably the highest paid CB, the oldest CB but also the shortest by a long way at 5 11"

Its no secret that we have been looking to get bigger and more physical as a team.

[/quote]As I keep saying Gunn has indicated he wants to keep him and could have easily informed everyone that he was left behind for the same reasons as Clingan and Russell.If you want to call Stephens or Dumic real contenders when they are yet to play a professional game then you are taking a big gamble. Like I said Askou costs nothing and if he is the muts nuts who cares how many defenders you already have but the fact is it would take the total up to five experienced pros. And one of those is Spillane who has one season under his belt and is still reletively young.I am not suggesting any of your views on him are incorrect but you keep asking the same question and I keep answering it with the same answer only for you to ignore it.http://www.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED12%20Jul%202009%2013%3A43%3A13%3A623I am sure there was another article - maybe Pete can help.

my onluy concern with stefanovic is the injury in relation to his age..... its set him out a while and depending on his fitness and how he has recovered will decide his future once the season begins.. he could either be a 1st teamer this season or we may just have to cut our losses if its apparent the injury has set him back too much and get rid.

jas :)

If we want Maric then we may just have to keep him, otherwise how else will we communicate with Maric?

[quote user="Salahuddin"]If we want Maric then we may just have to keep him, otherwise how else will we communicate with Maric?[/quote]

Dumic can speak Serbian as well. But yes, Dejan would certain help Maric settle into the squad.

Dejan is a quality player, we only saw briefly what he is capable of last season and all his good work does get overlooked as he gave away a couple of penalties (harsh ones as well I seem to remember). Also he is the only naturally left footed defender we have.

As Gunn has never had Dejan available to him I think he will want to have a longer look at him in the Palace and Wigan friendlies. It would be a shame to lose potentially our best defender because he is a bit old and had a nasty injury.

[quote user="Salahuddin"]If we want Maric then we may just have to keep him, otherwise how else will we communicate with Maric?[/quote]

of course Maric could already be fluent in English....

as has been said we have Dario dumic here....

plus im willing to bet he might be able to speak another language... i knew a serbian chap who was fluent in Greek, if Maric is too then Theoklitos im sure will be able to help him out

jas :)

i read in one of our players interview''s about the tour, that he can''t speak a word of english... Most premier league squads are full of players that can''t speak english we should be able to manage just one

Right, let me put this one to bed. Stefanovic was the one that recommended Maric to the club, they know each other well and share an agent.

Stefanovic wants to get into coaching but isn''t ready to stop playing just yet, there are a number of Serbian team that would like him as a player-coach or even player-assistant manager.

He will stay if he is wanted by Gunn, and happily leave if he isn''t.... with no pay off, as long as he finds a suitable job first. He also wants to stay if he is wanted around the place, but only if he feels he can get in the team.

The whole thing is in Gunn''s hands, but Stefanovic is happy to stay for another year and he believes that Gunn wants him around - he has already sorted this out with the club, and Stefanovic is a Norwich player. He has also started this season as a mentor to two youth players, including Dumic, he is pretty much their personal coach and this is something he is enjoying too.

As far as the club are concerned, as well as Stefanovic, if he can get in or around the team the he is a Norwich player this season. Personally I suspect that Stefanovic is still our best centre back, and we will probably see that a couple of months into the season. Remember that Gary Doherty stated that "he is on trial". Same with all of the players, if he plays well he is in the team.

Source:- My auntie, friend of a player that IS leaving.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]

Right, let me put this one to bed. Stefanovic was the one that recommended Maric to the club, they know each other well and share an agent.

Stefanovic wants to get into coaching but isn''t ready to stop playing just yet, there are a number of Serbian team that would like him as a player-coach or even player-assistant manager.

He will stay if he is wanted by Gunn, and happily leave if he isn''t.... with no pay off, as long as he finds a suitable job first. He also wants to stay if he is wanted around the place, but only if he feels he can get in the team.

The whole thing is in Gunn''s hands, but Stefanovic is happy to stay for another year and he believes that Gunn wants him around - he has already sorted this out with the club, and Stefanovic is a Norwich player. He has also started this season as a mentor to two youth players, including Dumic, he is pretty much their personal coach and this is something he is enjoying too.

As far as the club are concerned, as well as Stefanovic, if he can get in or around the team the he is a Norwich player this season. Personally I suspect that Stefanovic is still our best centre back, and we will probably see that a couple of months into the season. Remember that Gary Doherty stated that "he is on trial". Same with all of the players, if he plays well he is in the team.

Source:- My auntie, friend of a player that IS leaving.

[/quote]

Well, that put me in my place.

Or did it ?