Sign in to follow this  
ur just a man in a jacket

CONGRATULATIONS Neil Doncaster.......

[quote user="Jumpers for Goalposts"]
It will be interesting to see how long the Scots are willing to tolerate prudence with no ambition!
[/quote]

It will also be interesting to see how effective Doncaster is.  I believe he was a much better chief executive than most on this board gave him credit for and as the post Setanta SPL has major issues to deal with, his true mettle will be seen...... or not!!!

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[quote user="Jumpers for Goalposts"]It will be interesting to see how long the Scots are willing to tolerate prudence with no ambition![/quote]

It will also be interesting to see how effective Doncaster is.  I believe he was a much better chief executive than most on this board gave him credit for and as the post Setanta SPL has major issues to deal with, his true mettle will be seen...... or not!!!

[/quote]I think it will be hard to compare as the jobs are not necessarily like for like.  I would argue that a big park of his job at Carrow Road was to support the Manager in building a competitive Champonship team, and, in the last couple of years he failed dismally.  For a lot of City supporters, Doncaster is going to be forever associated with relegation.

[quote user="Jumpers for Goalposts"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[quote user="Jumpers for Goalposts"]It will be interesting to see how long the Scots are willing to tolerate prudence with no ambition![/quote]

[/quote]I think it will be hard to compare as the jobs are not necessarily like for like.  I would argue that a big park of his job at Carrow Road was to support the Manager in building a competitive Champonship team, and, in the last couple of years he failed dismally.  For a lot of City supporters, Doncaster is going to be forever associated with relegation.[/quote]I concur. This is a very different role. Failure is not pitch based and his skills as an administrative legal bonce may be better suited to the running of an organisation like the SPL.

[quote user="Romantic"][quote user="Jumpers for Goalposts"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[quote user="Jumpers for Goalposts"]
It will be interesting to see how long the Scots are willing to tolerate prudence with no ambition!
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think it will be hard to compare as the jobs are not necessarily like for like.  I would argue that a big park of his job at Carrow Road was to support the Manager in building a competitive Champonship team, and, in the last couple of years he failed dismally.  For a lot of City supporters, Doncaster is going to be forever associated with relegation.
[/quote]

I concur. This is a very different role. Failure is not pitch based and his skills as an administrative legal bonce may be better suited to the running of an organisation like the SPL.
[/quote]

Having thought about both your opinions, I agree that you have a point with merit.  There was however a lot of criticism of Neil by those who clearly had no understanding of his job description (not unreasonably as most people would have little idea of what being Chief Execuitve of a multimillion company actual involves but ill informed none the less).  

My only disagreement with you is that team purchases have to be the perogative of the manager.  There is little evidence that Neil stopped any of the last three managers from getting what he wanted so the weakness of the squads is not really down to him.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="Romantic"][quote user="Jumpers for Goalposts"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[/quote]I think it will be hard to compare as the jobs are not necessarily like for like.  I would argue that a big park of his job at Carrow Road was to support the Manager in building a competitive Champonship team, and, in the last couple of years he failed dismally.  For a lot of City supporters, Doncaster is going to be forever associated with relegation.[/quote]I concur. This is a very different role. Failure is not pitch based and his skills as an administrative legal bonce may be better suited to the running of an organisation like the SPL.[/quote]

Having thought about both your opinions, I agree that you have a point with merit.  There was however a lot of criticism of Neil by those who clearly had no understanding of his job description (not unreasonably as most people would have little idea of what being Chief Execuitve of a multimillion company actual involves but ill informed none the less).  

My only disagreement with you is that team purchases have to be the perogative of the manager.  There is little evidence that Neil stopped any of the last three managers from getting what he wanted so the weakness of the squads is not really down to him.

[/quote]Tis true. But I''m happy he''s moved on. It was all becoming too cosy. I''m not suggesting that it was his job to ref the manager but I doubt he ever offered much resistance to some woeful policy directions.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"]True what they say......sh-it finds its own level!!![/quote]

And tis also true Arthur that whenever you appear on this board you reduce any intelligent, informed debate to your base level

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"]True what they say......sh-it finds its own level!!![/quote]

And tis also true Arthur that whenever you appear on this board you reduce any intelligent, informed debate to your base level

[/quote]

Whatever girlfriend speak to the hand.