Sign in to follow this  
DW

Defence...

Whats the sucess behind the Man U''s and Chelsea''s.....a rock solid defence, i understand that we arnt financially as well off as them, but you have to start from the back. tbh atm Norwich''s back line doesnt look that strong :S i know we have a very good looking centre pairing of Doc and Stefanovic (my first choice for next season) but we without a doubt we need to sign 2, league 1 quality full backs, a RB and a LB. i believe Drury could be a very good player in this league, but i am concerned about his fitness and after his injury problems im conserned that he wont be the player he once was (shame because i am a fan of his). I also think the same of Semmy, however i beleive to get the best out of him we need another RB for first team competition (which he didnt have last season). I am looking forward to seeing our new keeper between the sticks as i think his no-nonsence attitude will bring out the best in the defence....the key to having the best possible back 5 is that thay have to play as one unit, playing for each other. This is exactly what teams like Man U, Chelsea and any other team around the top of any league are doing. Going back to the promotion season....it wasnt scoring shed loads of goals that got us into the prem, it was a solid defence giving the rest of the team the confordence to play FOOTBALL. So i think we really should be sorting out the defence asap as it could be the key to a successful season.

Like any good team, ultimately you need a strong spine (GK, CB, CM and Striker) but you correctly point out that if you can keep clean-sheets you stand a great chance of winning the game or atleast getting a point..to state the obviousGk - Theoklitos - Untested, seems to have good commanding qualities though which marshall clearly lacked, stamps on opposition strikers feet, also good..CB - Doherty, Stefanovic, Nelson - 3 big brutes of defenders which are needed, I would like us to possibly loan a quick, young centre back though to mix itRB - Semmy, Spillane - Hopefully semmy can do a job in this league but I certaintly wouldn''t begrudge the signing of another right back though I would doubt this would happenLB - Drury, Lappin - Im a huge fan of Drury''s and although he''s getting slower, the wingers in this division will tend to be slower and the same skill, or faster and without the skill of the championship wingers, so I think were fine here