Sign in to follow this  
The Chirp

Chirp Blog

Isnt that the same one you mentioned yesterday about strikers?  Or cant I see the new one?

Hi Ace yes it is. It''s been a little amended in places though. Pete kindly put it at the top of the board to give people the opportunity to read the blog who might not know about it. James

Hey Chirp can I disagree on the Cureton bit? A few(myself included) have said he''d make a useful bench warmer but I don''t remember anybody saying  he''s the answer. Lee would also be a worry, as any scum fan will tell you  he can become lazy once settled at a club and tends to go off the boil. Personally I would like to see Foulger and possibly Carl Moore stump up for Lambert as he really is the only realistic answer I can see to getting us the goals we are going to need, him along with Cody Mac,Chris Martin and 1 other,possibly Dickinson. So my dream team would be Lambert,Dickinson,Cody Mc,Martin, and Curo bringing up the rear.What I think we''ll get is Lee,Cody Mc,Martin, and Curo, and that line up would be a worry because I can''t see a 20 a season striker in there.[:(]

Sounds funny, but i write these things in part to get a responce like yours. It''s good to have people disagreeing on something as it creates a discussion. I know some think he would be a useful bench warmer but to me, he is a player that needs to play all the time to get into some decent form. He is tooo cold coming off the bench. Some players can do it, others can''t from the bench. Also, i really cannot seeing Curo accepting being 5,4 or even 3rd choice at this stage in his career... I think that Lee is never going to score the goals we need to get us out of L1 but i think he would be a good buffer for a speedy player... much like billy paynter was for cox when he was at swindon last season. Paynter didn''t get many headlines or goals for that matter but he did a great job in creating space and chances for his strike partner. If i am honest... IF we had already signed Dickinson (i''ve always rated him since he was at Stockport) or Lambert i would have been happy being linked to Platt today... He''s a cheaper option to Lee and would play the same kind of game. The big worry is that Norwich make the same mistake they nearly always do by buying one player and hope he solves the problem. Our top goalscorer last season got 7 goals.... One new striker is clearly not enough.thanks for your comment Inch High.

Were my dream line up ever to be realised then you are right,Curo would never accept being so far down the pecking order and as such I''d allow him to leave[;)] However as I doubt the dream team will ever materalise then there may come a point this season(injuries etc)when Curo may be one of the options. This striker problem is a least 3 seasons old now and someboby at the club really needs to address it. Roeder turned it into a farce last summer and I hoping Gunn is not heading the same way.

looking at it, Roeder was crazy to sign OJ Koroma and Lupoli. One had never played in a league of any note at all and the other came in on a fair wage and was too similar to Cureton and Martin. you''re right, this strike problem has been going on for a fair while. Signing Ched Evans helped get us through but we never properly replaced Earnshaw.

[quote user="The Chirp"]looking at it, Roeder was crazy to sign OJ Koroma and Lupoli.

One had never played in a league of any note at all and the other came in on a fair wage and was too similar to Cureton and Martin.

you''re right, this strike problem has been going on for a fair while. Signing Ched Evans helped get us through but we never properly replaced Earnshaw.
[/quote]

I think the sounder conclusion is that we never really properly replaced Iwan Roberts. He was a striker who not only had the ability to lead the line and score goals, but was also committed to NCFC over a longer term at a price we could afford. Dean Ashton was only ever going to be a short-term solution that we could make some money from ( a good thing ) and Earnshaw has probably had his agent focusing on a release clause whichever club he has been at. Finding another Iwan Roberts is not easy and a problem that most clubs face.

It''s probably the one area the club should really throw some money at because as Chirp pointed out in his blog you don''t escape league 1 without a couple of goal scorers,and I don''t think we have them yet.