Sign in to follow this  
DW

Clive Platt???

Back of the EDP, they think we are interested in him, as we look set to loose out on Lee

Personaly i would prefer Lee

Any thoughts?

He may not have the pedigree of Alan Lee (Which isn''t saying much!) but he did scare the crap out of our defenders the whole game last time we played, even though it was a Pre-Season friendly last year.

If We got Dickinson, then Platt would not be a bad signing as a 3rd/4th striker;

McDonald

Dickinson

Cureton

Platt

Martin

Could be enough goals with this lot, certainly a mixture of skills, height, pace, youth, experience.

[quote user="Salahuddin"]He may not have the pedigree of Alan Lee (Which isn''t saying much!) but he did scare the crap out of our defenders the whole game last time we played, even though it was a Pre-Season friendly last year.[/quote]

Agreed. He''s a big package and certainly proved a handful in that game. Not sure how many goals he''d get though.

It''s Ironic how Cam seemed to wind up so many folks when we were a league up but now we are playing Colchester and buying half their squad (allegedly) we can''t get any access to his now relevant pearls of wisdom. When''s he coming back?

[quote user="Beatle"]

Platts Crap!!!!!!!!!

OTBC!

[/quote]

Indeed he is.

At 31, his best days are behind him & if you look at the level & clubs he has played at (and his poor goal scoring record) you wonder why Gunn would give him any consideration when looking at strikers.

If this is the sort of player we are looking to spend some of the pitiful budget on, then we may as well pack up now!

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=9302

[quote user="DEB (never forgotten)"][quote user="Beatle"]

Platts Crap!!!!!!!!!

OTBC!

[/quote]

Indeed he is.

At 31, his best days are behind him & if you look at the level & clubs he has played at (and his poor goal scoring record) you wonder why Gunn would give him any consideration when looking at strikers.

If this is the sort of player we are looking to spend some of the pitiful budget on, then we may as well pack up now!

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=9302

Sorry - just turned 32!

Try look at the "date of birth" rather than "signed on date" - his birthday is 27/10 not 3/7.  He''s still 31.

So, we are after Col U''s cast offs now!!! They are targetting Grant Hoult & would then maybe let Platt go... If we can''t compete financially with them we are seriously in trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bryan Gunn has turned his attentions to Colchester United striker Clive Platt after his hopes of bringing Alan Lee back to Carrow Road suffered a setback.

The City boss has been thwarted by a lack of cash at Carrow Road - two offers for Derby''s Liam Dickinson have been rejected while Palace boss Neil Warnock has told Gunn to come up with an improved offer if he wants to sign Lee.

But the EDP understands that Gunn''s sights are now set on Platt who, at 6ft 4in, fits the bill for the City boss, who has admitted that signing a target man is one of his priorities.

Platt, 31, is still under contract at Colchester, but Us boss Paul Lambert has been linked with a move for another Gunn target, Shrewsbury''s Grant Holt, and may be prepared to let Platt move on two years after his predecessor Geraint Williams paid a club record £300,000 to sign him from MK Dons.

Platt has scored 18 goals in 73 starts for Colchester - including 10 in 39 starts last season - having plied his trade in the lower divisions, beginning at Walsall before moving on to Rochdale, Notts County, Peterborough and MK Dons.

Lee appeared to be the favourite to fill the vacancy up front, but while he has made no secret of his desire to return to Norwich, the lack of hard cash could scupper what could otherwise have been one of the less complicated transfer deals of the summer.

[quote user="Iwan is God"]

So, we are after Col U''s cast offs now!!! They are targetting Grant Hoult & would then maybe let Platt go... If we can''t compete financially with them we are seriously in trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bryan Gunn has turned his attentions to Colchester United striker Clive Platt after his hopes of bringing Alan Lee back to Carrow Road suffered a setback.The City boss has been thwarted by a lack of cash at Carrow Road - two offers for Derby''s Liam Dickinson have been rejected while Palace boss Neil Warnock has told Gunn to come up with an improved offer if he wants to sign Lee.But the EDP understands that Gunn''s sights are now set on Platt who, at 6ft 4in, fits the bill for the City boss, who has admitted that signing a target man is one of his priorities.Platt, 31, is still under contract at Colchester, but Us boss Paul Lambert has been linked with a move for another Gunn target, Shrewsbury''s Grant Holt, and may be prepared to let Platt move on two years after his predecessor Geraint Williams paid a club record £300,000 to sign him from MK Dons.

Platt has scored 18 goals in 73 starts for Colchester - including 10 in 39 starts last season - having plied his trade in the lower divisions, beginning at Walsall before moving on to Rochdale, Notts County, Peterborough and MK Dons.Lee appeared to be the favourite to fill the vacancy up front, but while he has made no secret of his desire to return to Norwich, the lack of hard cash could scupper what could otherwise have been one of the less complicated transfer deals of the summer.

[/quote]I agree. I''d sooner see Lee here. And yeah that is a depressing climb down. I''m the first to maintain tht we are currently league 1 and should buy and budget as such but crumbs from direct rivals will become frustrating eventually.

Dickinson >>>>  Lee >>>> Platt >>>> loaneeIts a familiar story of garden paths that end up with a loan....

[quote user="MXboy"]Back of the EDP, they think we are interested in him, as we look set to loose out on Lee Personaly i would prefer Lee Any thoughts?[/quote]

no thanks

Linked with Platt last summer as well if i remember correctly, another Gow and Killen not good enough for Roeder but the scout is in charge now so he can do as he pleases.

[quote user="Salahuddin"]He may not have the pedigree of Alan Lee (Which isn''t saying much!) but he did scare the crap out of our defenders the whole game last time we played, even though it was a Pre-Season friendly last year.[/quote]I remember that game and yes he did scare our defence, he looked a right handful from what i remember.

[quote user="Barclayman (your Carrow Road SuperHero)"][quote user="Salahuddin"]He may not have the pedigree of Alan Lee (Which isn''t saying much!) but he did scare the crap out of our defenders the whole game last time we played, even though it was a Pre-Season friendly last year.[/quote]

I remember that game and yes he did scare our defence, he looked a right handful from what i remember.
[/quote/]

You just know we''re going to end up with a donkey like him, apparently Col who are interested in Grant Holt as a replacement. You really couldn''t make it up. We end up with the dregs as usual.

No, before I get banned again, you ended up with a complete bollocks piece by Chris (I''m going to ring the Samaritans again) Lakey.  Not his idea, I think.

It is what we call a cobble up in the trade.  His heart was not in it I believe.  "Look Chris, put it all together."  Yeah, right.

Holt is out of the window for Colchester and you have not yet asked to speak to Platt which you must do as he is under contract to us.  But you haven''t yet.

Can he make it up?  Yes he can.

I should know.

For fear of patronising people, I''m going to stick with Carrowroad.net

Oh God please not Clive Platt.  I''d rather peel David Platt off the sky sports sofa.  In fact i''d rather have sex with the chinless wonder that is Gail Platt!!

May God give me the divine inspiration to change your opinions.

I must be the only person who thinks this would be a good signing. Platt is a player with a proven pedigree at this level; 10 goals in 31 may not be all that impressive statistically, but as a 6'' 4" target man I wonder what impact he had on the side which isn''t shown in numbers and statistics. The times defenders concentrated too much on him and allowed the smaller, nippier striker to slot an easy ball home with little marking. Or the times when he dragged away players in a set piece allowing tall defenders to get the opportunity. Or even the defensive set pieces he won when back defending.

I want us to get away from this idea that we must have a big striker in our starting 11. It''s not necessary - but it is important to have height and strength in the squad as an option. Platt offers that in greater abundance than almost any other realistic target I can think of.