Sign in to follow this  
FatMan Fat

Where do we go from here

Given the reality that there are actually 3 "leagues" within the Premier, and that today we were playing one of the other teams in our "league", then this was a case of 2 points dropped, just as against Palace. That has to be concerning as we must beat similar teams at home if we are to stay up this year.

So what can we take as a positive from today? Well, clearly the team spirit is still there and we did well to fight back twice. I think it is fair to say that Bentley probably had his most effective game yet. Further, once McVeigh came on it clarified our best midfield and we must surely persist with Bentlet, Holt, Francis and McVeigh with Mullers (when fit) on the bench. Equally, I think we must perservere with Hucks and Leon up front - at least we looked mobile and made some chances.

On the down side we are not going to be able to win on a consistent basis until such time that we are able to sign a "Premier Class" striker aand January may just be too far away to ensure survival this year. It is also concerning that most of the new signings (with the obvious exception of Charlton and Bentley) have been unable to make an impact on the team. It must be a nightmare having signed 2 goalkeepers (why?) plus a few international defenders/midfielders and see such little return on your investment - frustrating or what? If only we had spent some of that money on a striker - ho hum.

Finally, as ever, the crowd were fantastic today - what we need now is some BOUNCEBACKABILITY so that we can take 3 points off the Baggies

Tend to agree with you Fatman Fat, I am realistic about our chances of survival and feel that unless we do something amazing then we''re going to get relegated. However as a season ticket holder both home and away, I''ll carry on supporting the team, whoever plays, and really enjoy the ''ride''.

Reckon our only chance is if we can hang on to the pack until January and then wheel and deal, the problem being that apparently we have spent our budget and can only raise 1.7m at best depending on shareholders. A major loan signing about the best we could expect.

Just like to add that Leon is the best we have upfront but isn''t premiership quality in front of goal, controversial??!!

I am mystified by Mcveigh.  Every time he comes on as sub he has looked prem class - start him and he goes into his shell and becomes the frustrating player he can so often be! 

Today I though the midfield had their best combined game of the season - yet they repeatedly got sucked onto the 18 yd line and encouraged teams to shoot - one day a team would score and thats just what happened today.  Berger showed the possibility and Kamara also ranthrough us in the first half before Greeno spilled Quashies shot for the first goal.

Where do we go from here?  Continue with the same team - I thought Jonson and Bentley had their best games for Norwich and Holt his best in the prem.   The formation clearly suited the team and Leons movement (not his finishing though  

What did McVeigh do when he came on to justify that statement???  Except slash wildly at a terrific late chance when he had plenty of time.  Thought Jonson had far more presence - strength and pace. 

McVeigh is a useful substitute but too lightweight (in an already lightweight team) to start regularly.  Ultimately, we probably lack the class to survive - our play near the opposing goal (where the pressure is on and class really tells) totally lacked conviction, both the final balls and the shooting.  Even Huckerby''s penalty looked like it was struck by someone who doidn''t really expect to score. 

If we can''t win games like today''s (we will rarely be allowed to attack so often, Pompey were very poor) who are we going to beat??  The players and management talk confidently but talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words.

Have to agree that Pompey''s defence were one of the worst I''ve seen this season and were there for a mauling, but were just not clinical enough in front of goal (why did Leon step over that ball from Huckerby?).

Also can''t understand why all the so called expert fans don''t accept that we have done remarkably well to adjust to the premiership lifestyle and start enjoying the season, we could be at Bramall Lane this time next year or entertaining Luton Town.

It''s not all doom and gloom just yet, we could beat the Baggies next and climb the table, but can''t see us getting more than a point. But with home games against Blackburn, Everton and Soton coming up, we need to start scoring or we''ll be left behind.

realistically, we will go down. But there is also hope. and also its very hard when your told to stay in the premiership and only given 25million when some teams have single players worth that much