Sign in to follow this  
3canaries

Stirling Albion becomes the first Scottish football club to offer brand naming rights

Interesting what lengths clubs will now go to increase their finances.  So in this uncertain time, what brand association would you see as acceptable for our own NCFC!

Stirling Albion becomes the first Scottish football club to offer brand naming rights

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source:Marketing Week 09-07-2009

Stirling Albion has become the first Scottish football club to offer brand naming rights. The Scottish Football League Championship Second Division side is seeking partners to take naming rights for both the club and its Forthbank Stadium as it looks to secure the investment necessary to buy the club from its current chairman.

Stadium naming rights are not uncommon in Britain - Bolton Wanderers''

Reebok stadium, Arsenal''s Emirates stadium and Leicester City''s Walkers stadium - however, handing a club´s name to a sponsor is rare. The practice is more common in the US, where a number of Major League Soccer clubs carry a sponsor´s name, including Red Bull New York.

In the wake of the economic recession it is expected football clubs will try different strategies to secure finance.

I would point out that naming rights are very common in the USA and it''s only a matter of time before they become common here.

In the 70''s, prior to entering the Scottish league Meadowbank Thistle were known as Ferranti Thistle. Football rules didn''t allow for commercial names being used as team names and so they had to change.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]I would point out that naming rights are very common in the USA and it''s only a matter of time before they become common here.[/quote]

I tend to disagre with that, with the greatest respect to the MLS and American sports in general, we have a different culture over here and our clubs have a deep rooted history. Personally, I can only imagine small clubs (such as Stirling) would ever change their name to accomodate a sponsors name. Would you ever accept Aviva Norwich City? I wouldn''t and I think most other fans wouldn''t eithier. Also the main reason why Stirling are resorting to this type of advertisment is because it is the last resort to save the club from going under...

[quote user="John Morlar"]In the 70''s, prior to entering the Scottish league Meadowbank Thistle were known as Ferranti Thistle. Football rules didn''t allow for commercial names being used as team names and so they had to change.[/quote]

and theyre now called Livingston and about to go into Administration.....

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]Have Total Network and Solutions and Airbus Uk in wales done this?[/quote]

Yes they did. TNS are no longer called TNS, and the branding rights were recently sold to another company for a six figure sum.

the River End  or the Norwich and Peterborough stand , the South Stand or theJarrold stand - they can sponsor all they like , bbut the old names stick  

[quote user="Jumpers for Goalposts"][quote user="norfolkchance1"]Have Total Network and Solutions and Airbus Uk in wales done this?[/quote]I think you are right, but, I''m not sure if there squads are full time professionals or not.[/quote]TNS are full time, Airbus are part time. TNS are now called The New Saints though as Total Network Solutions no longer exists as a company.