Sign in to follow this  
norwichtillidie

The need for QUALITY in Midfield

Having just watched the Liverpool and Portsmouth games it seems clearly evident to me that it''s not only a  Striker that''s required, but also a Quality goal scoring midfield  player as well. 

Alonso ran the show last week, this week it was the turn  of the excellent Nigel Quashie to dictate and organise the the game. Gary Holt and Damian Francis done an excellent job for us in the first division last year, but this year we are in the PREMIERSHIP and you must have quality in the middle of the park.

Allthough I agree that a top striker is a main priority, a star striker is only as good as the quality of ball he is provided with. (i.e that killer pass is never provided by Holt and Francis). Huckerby and occasionaly Bentley are the only realy "goal makers" in the team, and so far this season the only real threat of being goal scorers we have at the club.

If Safri was bought as our "ball-playing midfielder" then lets break up the Holt/ Francis central midfield combo, and give him a run of games, allthough personally now that Phil Mulryne is fit again, let him have a chance of being our midfield "playmaker", plus he does have the ability to score a few much needed goals. 

I agree. However I don''t think we will ever see mullers play for city again. For some reason his face is out of favour with NW, which is a shame because i think if he was a bit bigger he would still be playing for Utd with his ability. Would Francis/Holt or Safri have had the ability to go through the ranks at united like Mullers did. I agree Francis and Holt played well last season, but so did Malky

I truly hope that "Mullers" is not going to be the next to be shown the door because of a falling out with Mr W - that would be a crying shame as he is probably the one player who could make a difference to us in midfield.

Hurray - at last some one has cottoned onto my calls for a creative midfielder. A bit late in the season but there you go. Petit is still looking for a deal and Youri proved for Blackburn that there is no substitute for class. Mullers, like McVeigh, was too inconsistent in Div 1 and there is no reason to expect him to be any better in the prem where is lack of pace will be further exposed. However it is a chicken and egg situation. What is the point of making chances if the strikers are not going to take them? We had several chances this weekend but needed a penalty and a header from a short central defender to get on the scoresheet! How many chances does Leon need to score - more than Andrew Cole at this rate.Despite my calls for that Creative Midfielder a striker, not a target man, remains our prime target because with a 4-4-2 formation we do create chances, we just are not taking them. OTBC