Sign in to follow this  
McCanary

What percentage of your wealth would you risk?

Lots of calls on here for investment from wealthy individuals.

Bearing in mind that most clubs do not return on investment, what percentage of your wealth would you be prepared to risk?

Or would you be happier with a safer bet?

Yawn - most fans would settle for just our gate and transfer receipts being spent on football rather than ''other projects'' and debt service. With an average attendnace of 24,000+ every week, our feablness is embarrassing. We should be able to compete with the likes of Barnsley, Plymouth and Blackpool without the need for a billionaire backer.

I would risk what I could afford to lose. In other words money that I don''t ''need''. Buying into a football club will lose you money, that seems to the case almost everywhere so on that basis, I''d maybe give 15-20%

[quote user="Desert Fox"]Yawn - most fans would settle for just our gate and transfer receipts being spent on football rather than ''other projects'' and debt service. With an average attendnace of 24,000+ every week, our feablness is embarrassing. We should be able to compete with the likes of Barnsley, Plymouth and Blackpool without the need for a billionaire backer.[/quote]

Yawn!!

Not an answer to the questions.

[quote user="McCanary"]

Bearing in mind that most clubs do not return on investment, what percentage of your wealth would you be prepared to risk?

[/quote]Depends how rich i was really.  If it was 30 Million I''d stick in 5M but if I was a Billionaire then stick in between 60-70 %

[quote user="Dave"][quote user="McCanary"]

[/quote]

Depends how rich i was really.  If it was 30 Million I''d stick in 5M but if I was a Billionaire then stick in between 60-70 %
[/quote]

Bull would you.  Its easy to be generous with money you havent got.....

Good to see nobody actually answering the original question as usual. In honesty for the man on the street it is difficult to answer that easily and truthfully. Take into account all property and other assets my personal wealth runs into hundreds of thousands.Most of my wealth, like the majority of people is tied up.  Ask me to write a cheque out to NCFC today and I would probably not be prepared to offer much more than £500.

So to answer your question - about 0.1% of my personal wealth.

[quote user="jbghost"]

Good to see nobody actually answering the original question as usual. In honesty for the man on the street it is difficult to answer that easily and truthfully. Take into account all property and other assets my personal wealth runs into hundreds of thousands.Most of my wealth, like the majority of people is tied up.  Ask me to write a cheque out to NCFC today and I would probably not be prepared to offer much more than £500.

So to answer your question - about 0.1% of my personal wealth.

[/quote]

Thank you for illustrating the problem with investors !

[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"][quote user="Dave"][quote user="McCanary"]

[/quote]

Depends how rich i was really.  If it was 30 Million I''d stick in 5M but if I was a Billionaire then stick in between 60-70 %
[/quote]

[/quote]

Isn`t hypothetical money great  [:D]

Waiting for wealthy individuals is like waiting for Father Christmas. This year I predict we will break even something we haven''t done for years. It''s not the amount of money we had a problem with last season it was about how we wasted it. Looks like we now have a board who will invest the money wisely run the club like a business and then when Santa doesn''t turn up it doesn''t matter

It''s a good question that gets to the crux of the matter.A little while ago I sounded out a corporate solicitor I know about a bond issue - Grand Canaries I thought we could call it [;)] - whereby smaller local businesses, exiled fans etc could buy a bond for £1,000. Get 1,000 subscribers and that''s a nice million for the player budget. Unfortunately I got caught up in other stuff and couldn''t explore this any further. It could potentially work though. I might look at it again.On the initial question it''s hard to say. I''d probably do the £1,000 through a company and possibly even personally too. Certainly nowhere like the percentage of personal wealth D&M have put through the doors which is somewhere between 20% and 50% depending on who you believe as to what they''re worth and what they''ve put in.

Rupert,

Exactly the point that I was trying to make above. However, I am less convinced that the "new" board will learn lessons from the past. We still have an awful lost of unfinished non-football projects to fund and bank debt to repay.

[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"][quote user="Dave"][quote user="McCanary"]

[/quote]Depends how rich i was really.  If it was 30 Million I''d stick in 5M but if I was a Billionaire then stick in between 60-70 %[/quote]

[/quote]Who needs a billion pounds?  Would still leave 400million which is far too much tbh, wouldn''t have anything to spend it on. 

True, a lot of bank debts to pay off that''s why we can not afford to spend money we haven''t go. The 2 people we now have at the top will, I believe, be ruthless. If you run a PLC you can not afford to run at a loss. In the short term we won''t be paying money for players, we need to pick up the bargins and get out of this league!!

Easy to say you would throw in £25M when you haven''t got it!!! That''s like me saying if I win the lottery on Saturday I will give half to NCFC.......doubt it!!

well, it is only theoretical, and if i was putting money in, i would want to put it where i want it (transfer budget etc,) but i would yes.who COULDNT live on 25m? if i had the money a cullum has, then, i wouldnt be too worried about pocket money put into the club i love.

[quote user="missing in action"] well, it is only theoretical, and if i was putting money in, i would want to put it where i want it (transfer budget etc,) but i would yes.
who COULDNT live on 25m? if i had the money a cullum has, then, i wouldnt be too worried about pocket money put into the club i love.
 [/quote]

You would happily risk 50% of your wealth?

So if you were worth £500 000 you`d give £250000??  I don`t think so !

Depends if I owned the club

If i did not what would be the point in giving money away?

Rather give it to the poor of the world or build a hospital unit

[quote user="McCanary"]

[quote user="missing in action"] well, it is only theoretical, and if i was putting money in, i would want to put it where i want it (transfer budget etc,) but i would yes.who COULDNT live on 25m? if i had the money a cullum has, then, i wouldnt be too worried about pocket money put into the club i love.  [/quote]

You would happily risk 50% of your wealth?

So if you were worth £500 000 you`d give £250000??  I don`t think so !

[/quote]depends reallyif i had 500k id probably put very little inbut if i had 50m or the money cullum does, i wouldnt be too bothered.

Don''t confuse Cullum''s paper wealth with his actual wealth.He''s asset rich (in a decent market) but in terms of real cash in the bank it''s a different story.

Wealth is proportional.  If you had one million would you give away 500K to NCFC?  Probaly not.  If you had 100 million would you give away 50 million?  Maybe.  If you had A billion would you give away, well you would not need to give away half, so would you give away 100 million - I would.I would invest once I knew I was totally safe for life, simple as that.

[quote user="Dave"]Who needs a billion pounds?  Would still leave 400million which is far too much tbh, wouldn''t have anything to spend it on.  [/quote]I used to have that opinion, untill it was pointed out to me that you don''t get to be a billionaire with that kind of attitude.  You''d just make the 400 million and then not really be bothered anymore, so not make any more money.As to an answer to the question - it would depend on how I got/was getting the money.  If I had worked hard for it, I would be stingier with it that if I say won the lottery.But anyway I''d almost certainly not go above 5%.

[quote user="LQ"]Don''t confuse Cullum''s paper wealth with his actual wealth.He''s asset rich (in a decent market) but in terms of real cash in the bank it''s a different story.

[/quote]im not...he is VERY wealthy.

[quote user="McCanary"]

[/quote]

Nothing as long as there are dominant majority shareholders in place......What would be the point other than for goodwill purposes?

We would have seen Peter Cullum here before now had things been different.

What tosh.Do you own anything in your own name Cluck? Anything - a house, a flat, a car, a fridge, a birdcage perhaps?How would you feel if someone came along and said "I''ll give you some new sandpaper for your pad but in exchange you''ll be my bird forever - squeak little bird, squeak..." Would you take that deal? Just for the sandpaper? Just cos you knew the people who looked at you every day would be happier?

[quote user="St. Cluck"][quote user="McCanary"]

[/quote]

Nothing as long as there are dominant majority shareholders in place......What would be the point other than for goodwill purposes?

We would have seen Peter Cullum here before now had things been different.

[/quote]

And that is based on fact is it?

You are obviously closer to the club than I thought !

I think much depends on how old I was and how much I actually had, if I was between 50 and 60 years old and had decided to sell up and retire and was left with a billion pounds I would chuck a hundred million in with possibly more to follow if required. The main thing would be that I still had enough money to live in comfort for the rest of my life and look after my family, you can''t take it with you when you go so you may as well spend it on something you feel passionate about imo.

If however I won 5 million on the lottery at my age I wouldn''t give anything because I couldn''t afford to, simple as that.

If someone can`t live very comfortably with £1m in the bank then they are greedy egotists IMO.  £1m should bring in at least £50k a year even if you go for the most conservative investments. 

The likes of Lieberr (sp.?) are not in it to throw all their money away, they have picked up a valuable asset for a song and that asset will gain in value the more successful it is- therefore the motivations of the investor and club/fans run in tandem.  Investing in a footy club is probably one of the most hair-raising going, but lots of money can be made if the initial deal is a good one.