Sign in to follow this  
Campbell

Round of applause for Gary Holt

Let''s face it quite a few of our fellow ''fans'' have decided that Holt is the fall guy. It doesn''t really matter what he does on the pitch now they''re on his back and will stay there until he''s dropped. I was sitting in the new stand quite close to the away fans and you could hear the lack of confidence from a large section of the crowd. It must get through to players too and put them off their game. Get behind Gary Holt.

I don''t know about making Gary Holt the fall guy,  he has been a great servant to this club.. but when a player looks to be out of his depth and constantly gives the ball away or really looks lost at times.. then surely supporters have a right to view their opions, via this and other messageboards. I do not and never will be in favour of any sort jeering or moaning in a city player on the field of play....

I was saying much the same last season, about holty,  he started to come good in the later part of the season, this season is a different ball game.he is up against world class opposition and it clearly shows he isn''t cutting it.. Now wether a rest and hopefully a regaining of form would be benefical to help recapture the spark.. I certainly hope so

The point is this - I certainly don''t think he''s the only one that is not cutting it. I would say that Francis (apart from two games) hasn''t shown desire or much skill, Bentley looks way out of touch, Edworthy (in a footballing sense) is the most limited player in the squad and even Huckerby has struggled in possibly 40% of the fixtures so far, and Doherty too.But no-one gets on to these players.And so Gary Holt IS the fall guy.People can''t seem to take their eyes off him, it''s like he has some mystical power (just like Easton before him) so that people don''t watch his good moments but just wait for him to make a mistake.I don''t think he''s played brilliantly by any stretch, but compare to him everyone except Charlton, Green and Drury - I don''t think he pales into insignificance.

Bananamaman.

You are right in that other players haven''t always performed - and indeed there was quite a strong lobby against Bentley a few weeks back.

I thnk the point is - that Holt seems consistently off his game - and is his game as appropriate in this division as it was before anyway.

The others you''ve named have had their off-days - but they''ve also had some good on-days, particularly Edworthy, who is keeping out the Danish captain for heavens sake.

But Edworthy knows that the first sloip he''ll be out. Bentley knows it because its happened. Doherty knows it - he''s out now.

How come Holt continues to make it in the team.

What sort of team are we without him.

Better maybe.

At least we should try it. we tried Mckenzie on Saturday and it was a huge success.

I haven''t witnessed the anti Holt moaning where I sit - and I wouldn''t either - but its the key dicsussion topic now that we''ve dealt with Bentley and the diamond.

I agree that Holt played very well on Saturday, but I think it''s actually defensively that his problems lie:

We have conceded a lot of goals this season when we have backed off players on the 18 yard line. As we know, you can''t give players that kind of room in this division because they will shoot and probably score. If you look at the times we have done this, Holt has been retreating in line with the defence, which suddenly creates the necessary room for the striker. He should be out in that ''no man''s land'' making sure he gets the tackle or block in, leaving time for our defence to then step up and clear the second ball. However, he''s not doing this and we are being punished for giving skillful players too much time and space on the edge of the box.

I know some people on this board already have a problem with Safri, but if you look at how he fills this role he is much more accomplished at it, and is capable of not only remembering to do this but winning the ball and passing and creating from being in these positions.

My other theory is this: To judge a player''s real value to the side, imagine if they were on the bench and what they could bring to the team if they were brought on. I can''t really see what Holt could bring us - can anyone else?

blimey you would have thought some of us want to kick Gary Holt out of the door.  many  have only said he needs a rest and question why, no matter how he plays never gets dropped or subbed.... nigel seems to stick with holty no matter what he turns out.. and I can''t recall a good game this season..where as others have.....I repeat a rest may do him good..and give the message no one has a given right to first team football..which it appears holty has got.....it''s Ok when we don''t have other options like in the past..but we do now.....

Well, I am pretty angry about the idiots around me on Saturday. You would have thought there was only one player on the pitch he took so much flak.

I don''t doubt that Holt could improve his performances. I just implore people to look at the bigger picture. There is NO-ONE to pass to. Everyone is hiding behind their marker, and it can''t be easy to find a pass in that situation. Also, Francis hasn''t exactly set the world on fire since the Newcastle game.

Also, repeatedly changing the line-up does not necessarily help the team. It''s football that we need to play, not the revolving door game. Exchanging Safri for Holt merely gives Safri the same problems that Holt faces week in week out.

Think of Gilberto in the Arsenal team - to the untrained eye he doesn''t exactly stand out. Can''t tackle, doesn''t pass further than 10 yards sideways BUT does an important job for the team.

If some of the other players (strikers, tackle back - Francis, pull your weight - Bentley, get off the touchline and help ou) mucked in and took some of the weight off Holt I believe he would fare much better in the team.