Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

Which of you McVeigh critics......

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]He''s too short, too fat, too lazy and too overrated (by many NCFC fans). He should have stayed with Luton to play in the Conference at his true level.[/quote]

Exactly, Gunn and the club are jokes at the moment!

[/quote]

Surely, Dr Ink isn''t describing McVeigh, sounds more like a fitting description for Jamie Cureton, don''t you think Wiz ?

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]I worry that people have this idea of what 3rd teir football is like based on absolutly nothing! Tall strikers, long ball, muddy pitch, physical strength the key etc etc. It''s not the 1970s anymore guys.
We need to put a Norwich City team together and play the Norwich City way- that way we will be superior and gain promotion. Anything else and we will end up with about 65-70 points and miss the playoffs.
[/quote]

I agree, but surely a fit and focussed Paul McVeigh does fit the Norwich City way?

Quick feet, intelligient passing and movement, a little bit of flair..... not afraid to take a player on.

If he is fit, he is a Norwich City player pure and simple. 

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]I worry that people have this idea of what 3rd teir football is like based on absolutly nothing! Tall strikers, long ball, muddy pitch, physical strength the key etc etc. It''s not the 1970s anymore guys. We need to put a Norwich City team together and play the Norwich City way- that way we will be superior and gain promotion. Anything else and we will end up with about 65-70 points and miss the playoffs.[/quote]

I agree, but surely a fit and focussed Paul McVeigh does fit the Norwich City way?

Quick feet, intelligient passing and movement, a little bit of flair..... not afraid to take a player on.

[/quote]I agree. Gunn''s said he''s up their with the best of the squad in terms of fitness. Many of us have seen what he is capable of at his best - it doesn''t just dissapear after a few years.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]I worry that people have this idea of what 3rd teir football is like based on absolutly nothing! Tall strikers, long ball, muddy pitch, physical strength the key etc etc. It''s not the 1970s anymore guys.
We need to put a Norwich City team together and play the Norwich City way- that way we will be superior and gain promotion. Anything else and we will end up with about 65-70 points and miss the playoffs.
[/quote]

[/quote]
I agree. Gunn''s said he''s up their with the best of the squad in terms of fitness. Many of us have seen what he is capable of at his best - it doesn''t just dissapear after a few years.
[/quote]

I am open minded.  I like him, I think that he is a good player...... but that doesn''t mean I want him to sign a three year deal or anything silly like that.

The club could simply give him a deal until January with the right to extend until the end of the year....... if he does ok then keep him for the season, then look at giving him another year.

I too thought that he played to earn contracts, if that is the case...... then give him 6 months at a time!

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]I worry that people have this idea of what 3rd teir football is like based on absolutly nothing! Tall strikers, long ball, muddy pitch, physical strength the key etc etc. It''s not the 1970s anymore guys. We need to put a Norwich City team together and play the Norwich City way- that way we will be superior and gain promotion. Anything else and we will end up with about 65-70 points and miss the playoffs.[/quote]

[/quote]Yes, absolutely! Sorry if that wasn''t clear- I''m all for McVeigh resigning if he''s fit and focused.

when he was at norwich last time i did rate the guy he scored 40 goals for us and could be fairly good on the wing and could play up front .

i was gutted when we got rid of him but he never failed to do any thing anywhere else.

i was shocked when he went to luton as i felt he was at a higher standard than that yet i was surprised when he hardly got a look in .

he is only 31 and i have to admit it did look as if he had lost weight.

if he could be 75% the player he was at norwich the first time he could be a good player for us .

i do find it hard to believe a players who done such a great job for us before has declined as a player not to be able to get a game at luton .

hopefully he will have a point to prove.

Albeit it against the mighty Fakenham! Surely we cannot sign him on the strength of this one run out? Sorry for sounding negative but it takes a lot to forgive and forget and McVeigh towards the end of his previous City career was a waste of space.  I really hope he proves me wrong.

He played pretty well, look fit enough and scored a typical McVeigh goal.  First touch was strong all game, didnt really show much pace, but I dont think that was the nature of the game so early one..... it was a pretty uncompetitive run out.

The other trialists looked half decent as well, some kid called Powell particularly..... but again...... would like to see them at Dartford before judging.

Worked hard enough and was very vocal to the kids (a plus point).

I am still open minded, want to see him at Dartford..... where the standard is 5 times that of Fakenham..... Apparently there were a few scouts from other clubs at the ground tonight to check out McVeigh and one of the other trialists.

If I had to make a decision right now, I would sign him if the deal is right. A one year contract on a wage that befits a SQUAD player..... and I think that he would be a good signing.

One of my pet theories about football is that some players, though talented, lose out because they don''t have an obvious position in the 4-4-2 formation that most managers like, or revert to if another system isn''t working.  And I suspect McVeigh has been an example of that - he isn''t a central midfielder, or a winger (not fast enough) or a pure goalscorer or a target man. Probably his best place is between midfield and the strikers.In that case, though, you need managers who use that system all the time, and when they don''t you''re the muggins who gets dropped for players who have recognised positions in a 4-4-2.However what now might work in his favour (IF he is still a decent player) is the wacky idea of seven substitutes. That lack of a specific position also means he is versatile and can sort of play in various positions. An ideal squad player? 

He played pretty well, look fit enough and scored a typical McVeigh goal.  First touch was strong all game, didnt really show much pace, but I dont think that was the nature of the game so early one..... it was a pretty uncompetitive run out.

The other trialists looked half decent as well, some kid called Powell particularly..... but again...... would like to see them at Dartford before judging.

Worked hard enough and was very vocal to the kids (a plus point).

I am still open minded, want to see him at Dartford..... where the standard is 5 times that of Fakenham..... Apparently there were a few scouts from other clubs at the ground tonight to check out McVeigh and one of the other trialists.

If I had to make a decision right now, I would sign him if the deal is right. A one year contract on a wage that befits a SQUAD player..... and I think that he would be a good signing.

[/quote]Completely agree.And got to sing the McVeigh song a few times too!

IMO we could do far worse - for me his ability wasn''t ever really in question, it was whether he was putting the effort in. We''d know what we''re getting and he needs to be ''managed'', but you''d think that after all their years here Gunn would knows him as well as anyone, so might be able to get the best out of him.

Right, just popped on before I head off to my own site, to say Juan (Ryan) I was wrong about today.  Usually at the local friendlies you can tell diddly squat, but tonight I saw that WLY has got enough in the tank to be worth a year deal (he has that touch that can turn a game with 20 minutes left still), and Troy Powell is a genuine box-to-ox midfielder in the Francis mould.  Also Adeymni - maybe pushing the first 11 this season I feel, big, strong and intelligent.Right, byyyeeee!

Sorry got me positons and names wrong! Adeymni is the b2b midfielder!

[quote user="Herb"]I think the reason many people are wary is because there is a feeling he p*ssed away his talent.
How true that is I don''t know, but you don''t go from playing in the Premiership to the bottom of L2 in a few years without something being seriously amiss.

My biggest concern is his influence on younger players. We need model pros to mentor young players, not party animals.
[/quote]

I agree with you sentiment..........he is the polar opposite of a player like Andy Hughes who has had a decent career with a much smaller level of talent but a greater level of commitment.

Maybe being let go is the kick up the pants he needs. Maybe it will make him humble.

He has to realize that this is probably his last chance to impress. 

I don''t think many people think he doesn''t have the ability to be a decent squad player at this level............... does he have the maturity and commitment thats the question?

I think he might be worth a (very inexpensive) shot, Gunn seems to be leaning that way.

From the CW interview, Gunn has been impressed with McVeighs attitude and personality.

The important thing to realize is that with 7 subs this year its going to be more of a "squad" game than ever before.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

The important thing to realize is that with 7 subs this year its going to be more of a "squad" game than ever before.

[/quote]Absolutely agree here. Surprised that the fact 7 subs gives far greater scope for tactical change hasn''t been mentioned on here previously - now we can have defensive and attacking options on the bench without having to pick one or the other. I personally think it could make a fair difference, if we can get the depth and quality in the squad.That''s a big "if" of course...

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]

Absolutely agree here. Surprised that the fact 7 subs gives far greater scope for tactical change hasn''t been mentioned on here previously - now we can have defensive and attacking options on the bench without having to pick one or the other. I personally think it could make a fair difference, if we can get the depth and quality in the squad.

That''s a big "if" of course...

[/quote]

I actually think Gunn realizes this more than some think........

I think he realizes its more important to have decent quality and quantity in this LG than to splunk most of your budget on one star player.

If you combine the 4 new players with having Martin and Spillane back, then add in the youth players, the squad is getting bigger...........

Not only that........... we own them all.

Gunn is still trying to make deals plus bringing 5 or 6 players in on trial........................ Nobody can say they havn''t been trying to get deals done.

If clubs/players want too much we are forced into a different direction.

I also think we might be waiting to see how much we can get for Clingan, Russell and Pattison before we commit to a big purchase.

[quote user="Salahuddin"]Albeit it against the mighty Fakenham! Surely we cannot sign him on the strength of this one run out? Sorry for sounding negative but it takes a lot to forgive and forget and McVeigh towards the end of his previous City career was a waste of space.  I really hope he proves me wrong.[/quote]

Exactly - why should he be any better now?

[/quote]

Absolutely spot on. A lot of people seem to think that you have to play Sheffield Rules in League''s 1 and 2. There are some good players, perversely it seems to me you actually get a lot more of a mixture of sizes in the "lower leagues". It''s the Premiership and Championship where everyone is big, fast and strong. League 1 has a lot of classy little players who are technically good but precisely because they are not big enough they are playing in L1.

Even if it is the case that everyone is six foot and plays hoofball, then we need skillful players who can pass the ball and we will do well. The clubs who have won promotion from L1 in recent years have often played better passing and counter attacking football than Championship teams. For example Blackpool, Bristol City, Doncaster, Swansea.

To actually address the subject of the post I will add that McVeigh if played in the hole behind the strikers could be very good. I think you''d have to play the current fashionable formation of 4-2-3-1, or the dreaded diamond to use him though. I''m unconvinced we should change too much from 4-4-2, given the number of new players and the relative stupidity of footballers. I don''t think McVeigh is worth changing the system for, and I''m not sure where he would fit in. You cannot argue with his passing and ball control, widely credited as the city player with the best technique, only the staff seeing him train can really make the call, which is a good job really.

[quote user="ACE"]Right, just popped on before I head off to my own site, to say Juan (Ryan) I was wrong about today.  Usually at the local friendlies you can tell diddly squat, but tonight I saw that WLY has got enough in the tank to be worth a year deal (he has that touch that can turn a game with 20 minutes left still), and Troy Powell is a genuine box-to-ox midfielder in the Francis mould.  Also Adeymni - maybe pushing the first 11 this season I feel, big, strong and intelligent.

Right, byyyeeee!
[/quote]

Cool, appreciate that, but at the same time I still agree with others that we need to give him some more competitive games. I would still like us to take him to Scotland..... Just to make sure...... but judging on what I saw, he still has his excellent first touch and his intelligence.....

I still only want him as a squad player, having played on the left, on the right, up front and behind the forwards..... he is a good bet for somebody to come off the bench and mix up a game...... especially if we sign Parry who can play left and right...... swapping the wingers several times in a game is a great tactic.

[quote user="ACE"]Right, just popped on before I head off to my own site, to say Juan (Ryan) I was wrong about today.  Usually at the local friendlies you can tell diddly squat, but tonight I saw that WLY has got enough in the tank to be worth a year deal (he has that touch that can turn a game with 20 minutes left still), and Troy Powell is a genuine box-to-ox midfielder in the Francis mould.  Also Adeymni - maybe pushing the first 11 this season I feel, big, strong and intelligent.Right, byyyeeee![/quote]

Cool, appreciate that, but at the same time I still agree with others that we need to give him some more competitive games. I would still like us to take him to Scotland..... Just to make sure...... but judging on what I saw, he still has his excellent first touch and his intelligence.....

I still only want him as a squad player, having played on the left, on the right, up front and behind the forwards..... he is a good bet for somebody to come off the bench and mix up a game...... especially if we sign Parry who can play left and right...... swapping the wingers several times in a game is a great tactic.

[/quote]If we have McVeigh, Hoolahan and Paul Parry available to play (all capable of coming on from the bench for one another and interchanging across the attack) we''d be giving opposition defences absolute hell.Add a natrual pacey wing or 2 to that along with a tough and tall striker and you really can''t question an attacking force like that.

[quote user="Fuglestad"]

To actually address the subject of the post I will add that McVeigh if played in the hole behind the strikers could be very good. I think you''d have to play the current fashionable formation of 4-2-3-1, or the dreaded diamond to use him though. I''m unconvinced we should change too much from 4-4-2, given the number of new players and the relative stupidity of footballers. I don''t think McVeigh is worth changing the system for, and I''m not sure where he would fit in.

[/quote]Fuglestad, I agree with you that it''s not a good idea to change the system to suit McVeigh. However the point I was making in my earlier post was there might be games when you wanted to play that in-the-hole system, from the start or later on, and then he would be an ideal player to have in the squad. I very much see him, if at all, as a substitute giving some tactical flexibility.