Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

Which of you McVeigh critics......

Is going to go and watch him against Fakenham?

Lots of people have been quick to make judgements about his fitness (despite most not having seen him play for two years), make judgements about his ability (despite most not having seen him play for two years), and have constantly stated that he couldnt get in the Luton team (despite being told just as constantly that Luton couldn''t afford to play him, and that he had the best goal per minutes ratio out of the whole squad).

Personally I am open minded, will be going to watch Fakenham, and maybe Dartford..... and will come to an educated and informed opinion. If those that have been very critical go and watch him, and he doesnt look anything special, then your opinion is at least one worth respecting. Same applies to those that think he will be a great signing.

You know, just a thought.....

I like WLY, but with all due respect, judging his fitness and sharpness via games against Fakenham and Dartford is a little naive.

I''m going to the game tonight and will give an assessment on how he plays. It isn''t the ideal game to see how he is getting on but if he is not up to the task, this will be a game that shows it. If he cant perform against Fakenham then he has no chance in League 1

[quote user="ACE"]I like WLY, but with all due respect, judging his fitness and sharpness via games against Fakenham and Dartford is a little naive.
[/quote]

Why? Its easy enough to relate his fitness and general sharpness in relation to his peers. Its about relatively, if McVeigh plays 45 minutes and hardly takes the ball, and then Luke Daley comes on for 45 minutes and completely runs the game...... then we know McVeigh is not the man to add to our squad.....

If playing for Dartford is enough to show that your good enough to play League Football, then so is playing against them.

Its not hard to spot an unfit and past it footballer.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[quote user="ACE"]I like WLY, but with all due respect, judging his fitness and sharpness via games against Fakenham and Dartford is a little naive.
[/quote]

Why? Its easy enough to relate his fitness and general sharpness in relation to his peers. Its about relatively, if McVeigh plays 45 minutes and hardly takes the ball, and then Luke Daley comes on for 45 minutes and completely runs the game...... then we know McVeigh is not the man to add to our squad.....

If playing for Dartford is enough to show that your good enough to play League Football, then so is playing against them.

[/quote]

We have had plenty of practce lately!

He''s too short, too fat, too lazy and too overrated (by many NCFC fans). He should have stayed with Luton to play in the Conference at his true level.

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]He''s too short, too fat, too lazy and too overrated (by many NCFC fans). He should have stayed with Luton to play in the Conference at his true level.[/quote]

Thank you for your well informed and educated response, which in no way ''jumped on the bandwagon'' or resorted to stereotypes or generalisms. I will give you one out of four. He is indeed short.

Of course, the former professional footballers and fitness experts who have been at Colney this week are completely wrong about McVeigh''s fitness and he was only one of the fittest in the squad by complete fluke. Paul McVeigh is not fat, that has been more than established by recent quotes and pictures of Paul McVeigh in training sessions. 

As per above, if one of the fittest members of our squad is lazy, then how lazy must the rest be? 

Overrated? Not by people on here mate, I suspect that he is in fact being under rated.

Not its not easy to relate his sharpness blah. The game tonight is against very lowly opposition, is a bit of a local PR stunt, and our players will be having a gentle jog around.  Very little will be ascertained from tongight, and anyone coming to a conclusion about any of the players after tonight is naive.[quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[quote user="ACE"]I like WLY, but with all due respect, judging his fitness and sharpness via games against Fakenham and Dartford is a little naive.[/quote]

[/quote]

I think the reason many people are wary is because there is a feeling he p*ssed away his talent.How true that is I don''t know, but you don''t go from playing in the Premiership to the bottom of L2 in a few years without something being seriously amiss.My biggest concern is his influence on younger players. We need model pros to mentor young players, not party animals.

I think the problem with mcveigh is that he believed he was better than playing for norwich and had his head up in the clouds towards the end of his time at carrow road, luton was quite possibly a bump down to earth. when he first signed for norwich he was a firm favourite and had some good performances as a young player. he is now older and hopefully more grounded and a player who can really cause problems on the flank, can score goals and has a decent enough delivery for league one, championship at a push.

Im sure others would disagree but I really feel he would be a good signing perhaps signing scott neilson as well from cambridge....the way i look at it is that by signing neilson you have a lad whos desperate to make the big time and would love to where the yellow and green and then you have mcveigh who needs to revive his career, so neilsons enthusiasm could rub off on mcveigh (pay as you play contract perhaps?)

Not sure much can be gauged from pre-season.

Carl Heggs, who is always good for a quote, said earlier this week:

"If we lose every pre-season game and win the first league game then it''s been a brilliant pre-season. If the opposite happens then it''s been a terrible one."

[quote user="Herb"]I think the reason many people are wary is because there is a feeling he p*ssed away his talent.
How true that is I don''t know, but you don''t go from playing in the Premiership to the bottom of L2 in a few years without something being seriously amiss.

My biggest concern is his influence on younger players. We need model pros to mentor young players, not party animals.
[/quote]

Its quite easy to work out how he has ended up in League Two Herb.

Even before he left Norwich he was looking for a move to the London area, as his girlfriend was going to a London university. The only offer in the London area was Luton Town, where he subsequently moved, rejecting offers from several championship clubs including Burnley (where he had a very successful loan spell).

At the time Luton were in League One, having just been relegated from the Championship, and were touted as being in with a chance for promotion. There was very little knowledge of Lutons financial difficulties at that stage.

He actually signed for a ''top'' League One team...... a very similar situation to where we consider ourselves to be at the minute. Im sure that you don''t need me to detail the reason''s behind Luton''s subsequent decline.

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]He''s too short, too fat, too lazy and too overrated (by many NCFC fans). He should have stayed with Luton to play in the Conference at his true level.[/quote]

Exactly, Gunn and the club are jokes at the moment!

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]He''s too short, too fat, too lazy and too overrated (by many NCFC fans). He should have stayed with Luton to play in the Conference at his true level.[/quote]Why can''t people wait until next week to slag him off?  If he plays a couple of decent games you''re going to look like a right rubber johnny

I seem to remember McVeigh always pulled out the stops at the time his contract renewel came around, and then for the remainder of his contract, up until renewel time again was dis-interested, lazy and crap.  I just hope all these facts are remembered, sure there were good times with McVeigh, but they should be confined to the wall of fame.

I for one would hate to see cotract money wasted on this player.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

Same here here Juan, I mean, lets give Bill Punton a go!

And to your Delia query.............yes, I would, several times!

[/quote][|-)]

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]He should have stayed with Luton to play in the Conference at his true level.[/quote]

Except Luton didn''t want to keep him on despite his acceptance of Conference wages.  [:P]

Paul McSmall will do well at this level if he can keep himself fit.

That''s coming from someone who knows more about being an attacking winger than you or I.

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]

That''s coming from someone who knows more about being an attacking winger than you or I.

[/quote]Scott Neilson (sp?) is also very very talented. Having lived in Cambridge and seen both teams (utd and city) I believe he could do a job for us next year.

[/quote]

Neil Adams?

[/quote]

[img]http://carrowroad.net/carrow1/Smileys/new/rofl.gif[/img]

I still don''t know why McVeigh was so out of favour in the Prem season. Scored against Man U at the start of the season (not contract renewal time btw) and then got dropped.I think he was under rated by Worthington.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]

[/quote]

[img]http://carrowroad.net/carrow1/Smileys/new/rofl.gif[/img]

[/quote]

Did you ever see McVeigh play Wizened? I can''t recall what year you stopped going to watch football and just became an expert on the team through osmosis or ESP or whatever.

I think that this is typical of the split in fans at the moment. For some, whatever happens it''ll be wrong. For others, there is a desire for things to get better.

Being in the second camp, I think a lot of hard work has gone into the four signings so far. My concern is that this still has to be proved on the pitch. The Fakenham and Dartford games won''t be conclusive, but they will give some indication. I''m willing to keep an open mind on McVeigh, especially as he can play on either wing or as a strker. I also hope that Neilson works out as well, as the hunger players like him and Cody will be invaluable next year, which is going to be tough.

My concern is still that of a strong and physical striker who can score and enable others to score. Lee, Dickinson, and Holt are all possibles, but the price has to be right. It''s interesting that McNally spoke of looking for players in the UK and abroad. Perhaps there''s something going on we don''t know about?

[/quote]

It came from Darren Huckerby, who not only suggested to Norwich that we sign Paul McVeigh but also recommended him to San Jose. Hence the recent trial. Is that who you mean also?

I worry that people have this idea of what 3rd teir football is like based on absolutly nothing! Tall strikers, long ball, muddy pitch, physical strength the key etc etc. It''s not the 1970s anymore guys. We need to put a Norwich City team together and play the Norwich City way- that way we will be superior and gain promotion. Anything else and we will end up with about 65-70 points and miss the playoffs.

Well, i certainly hope he makes it. I really liked him as player before he ermm..gained some weight. And im off to fakenham tonight [:)]