Sign in to follow this  
ur just a man in a jacket

anyone read the y'army??

was thinking, i used to enjoy the fanzine magazine y''army. i know they did bring one out last season but really enjoyed it when it was a regularly seen being sold most months. i know they have a website but its not like reading the hard copy with a nice beer in hand!

did anyone else used to read it??

[quote user="glove1"]

was thinking, i used to enjoy the fanzine magazine y''army. i know they did bring one out last season but really enjoyed it when it was a regularly seen being sold most months. i know they have a website but its not like reading the hard copy with a nice beer in hand!

[/quote]No but I do think we need a fanzine.  Unless we have one...

An offline one in this day and age is unlikely.  I think the kick if off site is an online fanzine?

[quote user="glove1"]

[/quote]

Got a copy once,years ago and really enjoyed it,with some well written funny pieces.What happened to it?

Best fanzine we''ve had in a long, long time. I bought every issue, and enjoyed the lot. Would snap it up again too if they brought it back.

I think they struggled to sell it though, and had a lack of contributors.

Blogs have replaced fanzines. Why would you want to buy a printed fanzine with outdated infomation when City fans have access to news and opinions in real time on the web in many locations, including this board.

[quote user="Bigus"]Blogs have replaced fanzines. Why would you want to buy a printed fanzine with outdated infomation when City fans have access to news and opinions in real time on the web in many locations, including this board.[/quote]

TBH Bigus,the one i read was more about having a laugh,daft articles,mickey taking etc. rather than facts and info!

I used to read most of ''em.I think there used to be about half-a-dozen City fanzines on the go back in the day.The best was,IMHO, ''Ferry Cross the Wensum''.

[quote user="Bigus"]Blogs have replaced fanzines. Why would you want to buy a printed fanzine with outdated infomation when City fans have access to news and opinions in real time on the web in many locations, including this board.[/quote]

If anyone made a blog as funny and entertaining as Y''army was, i probably wouldn''t miss it. Though it would still have one advantage, alleviating the boredom of our half-time ''entertainment''.

Ferry Cross the Wensum was good too, but i preferred the Y''army personally. Maybe because so many of the Snakepit boys around me wrote for it!

Y''Army was co-founded and edited by a good mate of mine, as a group they kept it going as long as they could and scored some relatively modest success with the HCUK t-shirts during our promotion campaign.  Alas, the lads simply got too busy - new jobs, new families, travelling, etc... eventually they had to call it a day, which was a genuine shame!My personal favourite was the Rumour Bingo on the back of one of the final copies, which listed some of the more, ahem, fruity rumours surrounding NCFC, including one about two players enjoying each others'' company in the shower.  It was all just a joke, of course, but things got a little out of hand when, a few days after it was published, Worthington came out to issue a full denial of certain rumours surrounding his players! Guess one or two of them took it a little too seriously...I also enjoyed that they managed to p*ss off some of the old guard NCISA types who think their names are too important to be included in such magazines....

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Y''Army was co-founded and edited by a good mate of mine, as a group they kept it going as long as they could and scored some relatively modest success with the HCUK t-shirts during our promotion campaign.  Alas, the lads simply got too busy - new jobs, new families, travelling, etc... eventually they had to call it a day, which was a genuine shame!

My personal favourite was the Rumour Bingo on the back of one of the final copies, which listed some of the more, ahem, fruity rumours surrounding NCFC, including one about two players enjoying each others'' company in the shower.  It was all just a joke, of course, but things got a little out of hand when, a few days after it was published, Worthington came out to issue a full denial of certain rumours surrounding his players! Guess one or two of them took it a little too seriously...

I also enjoyed that they managed to p*ss off some of the old guard NCISA types who think their names are too important to be included in such magazines....
[/quote]

I know exactly who you mean re ncisa and yes that was amusing too!!! (evil monkey - a good clue to one; his initials would be another name for a horse!!)

contributers wasnt an issue
we all wrote various bits.
its funds, if you cant sell it, making it is hard
and having the facilities available....

Have to take issue there and out myself slightly in the process. I was one of the co-founders and editors of Y''Army and sales were never a problem, nor were funds as we always broke even at the very least. I obviously don''t know who you are Missing in Action but if you''re claiming to be behind Y''Army then you can only be one of two other people and both of those had encountered the nuances of grammatical English at some point so I think you may be Billy Bulls*itting.

The reason Y''Army is no more is, as was very well documented by Evil Monkey, that three of us were behind it, and when we launched we were all single and fancy free lads in our mid twenties. As is the case at this point in your life, things change, and women, children and career changes presented themselves, hence we all went in different directions and the work involved in putting together the fanzine became too much. We haven''t ruled out doing another one and about once a year we usually discuss it again, but it usually doesn''t come to fruition for one reason or another.

If anyone is interested in starting up a fanzine and wants any advice I''d be happy to talk to them and offer some pointers, but beware it''s a lot of hard work and you get a lot of stick to even out the positive points. However, I''ll always be glad we did it. 

[quote user="Canary02 III"]

The reason Y''Army is no more is, as was very well documented by Evil Monkey, that three of us were behind it, and when we launched we were all single and fancy free lads in our mid twenties. As is the case at this point in your life, things change, and women, children and career changes presented themselves, hence we all went in different directions and the work involved in putting together the fanzine became too much. We haven''t ruled out doing another one and about once a year we usually discuss it again, but it usually doesn''t come to fruition for one reason or another.

[/quote]

I can relate to that having been a co-editor of the erstwhile fanzine ''Never Mind the Danger'' back in the good old days.

posters have said about ''everything is online now'' and to some extent i agree but there is nothing better than reading some in ink - for example i always buy a sunday paper and wouldnt fire my laptop up and read their websites as its a relax to read it!!  

[quote user="BDCSid"]As one of those Snakepit "boy" (I wish) contributors, you must be close by then "?"[/quote]

Row N. That''s all i''m saying, unless i annoy people and it all gets out of hand... ;o)

And Canary02 III, cheers for what you did do. Certainly livened up a few dull games!

contributers wasnt an issuewe all wrote various bits.its funds, if you cant sell it, making it is hardand having the facilities available....

Have to take issue there and out myself slightly in the process. I was one of the co-founders and editors of Y''Army and sales were never a problem, nor were funds as we always broke even at the very least. I obviously don''t know who you are Missing in Action but if you''re claiming to be behind Y''Army then you can only be one of two other people and both of those had encountered the nuances of grammatical English at some point so I think you may be Billy Bulls*itting.

If anyone is interested in starting up a fanzine and wants any advice I''d be happy to talk to them and offer some pointers, but beware it''s a lot of hard work and you get a lot of stick to even out the positive points. However, I''ll always be glad we did it. 

[/quote]i wasnt behind iti wrote for it a couple of times mind and knew a few of the lads involved.

Because I don''t wanna take my laptop on the bus, to the pub, in the bathroom etc. Whereas a handy little fanzine can keep me company throughout the day.

Also Y''Army was very funny and well written.

I remember "Liverpool are on the Telly again", and later "Man U are on the Telly again" but what other fanzines have we had over the years

What about the iphone and blackberry''s? Unlimited content on the train, bus, in the pub. Not just 10 pages! Personally, technology has meant that I am constantly reading links from interesting sites and blogs wherever I am. I stopped buying magazines and newspapers.

[quote user="Bigus"]What about the iphone and blackberry''s? Unlimited content on the train, bus, in the pub. Not just 10 pages! Personally, technology has meant that I am constantly reading links from interesting sites and blogs wherever I am. I stopped buying magazines and newspapers.

[/quote]

Fair point. Haven''t really got into the whole internet on your phone thing. I''m just sentimental and scared of change! I just quite like hard copies. Technology seems to constantly attempt to ruin my day, but to be fair it''s probably because when I needed a new phone I spend twenty quid. I''m sure I-Phone''s are great but relying on it so much would frighten me!

[/quote]

you might remember i contributed a fair few articles to the Y''army cause over the seasons it ran.. many thanks for taking the time to trawl hrough my terrible Grammer and thanks for taking the time to print it...

i used to work with Jon Webb at Norwich union.. he worked on Y''army for a time didnt he?

I wouldnt mind doing a fanzine if anyone on here wanted to help me out.... Dare i say it Smudger works for a printing firm doesn''t he? Could be some business coming his way if something was to happen.

is anyone else interested in doing one?

didnt Y''army donate some of the proceeds to the academy from each sale .. how much did it raise in the end?

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Canary02 III"]

[/quote]

you might remember i contributed a fair few articles to the Y''army cause over the seasons it ran.. many thanks for taking the time to trawl hrough my terrible Grammer and thanks for taking the time to print it...

i used to work with Jon Webb at Norwich union.. he worked on Y''army for a time didnt he?

I wouldnt mind doing a fanzine if anyone on here wanted to help me out.... Dare i say it Smudger works for a printing firm doesn''t he? Could be some business coming his way if something was to happen.

is anyone else interested in doing one?

didnt Y''army donate some of the proceeds to the academy from each sale .. how much did it raise in the end?

jas :)

[/quote]

Certainly remember your articles Jas, always a good read.

I worked with Webby too for a while. He acted as our storage depot on sales days when he lived on Carrow Road and was also our official singer! Don''t know on the funds front as I didn''t have much input there, but we definitely have a brick in the back of the Jarrold!