Sign in to follow this  
ncfcfaithful

Underrated and Unfashionable Former Players....

I was sorting out a load of old junk in my house last night and I found a photo I had taken with Rob Newman when I was 13 on a NCFC soccer school at the start of the 92/93 season!  It brought a smile to my face as big Rob was never a fans favourite and on the day only 2 of us had our photo taken with him while most of the kids lined up to have a photo taken with Ruel Fox or Gunny!!

It got me thinking of which players fans used to like who weren''t one of the more fashionable more popular playes and wwere probably a bit underrated!!  So come on who who was your secret NCFC crush on when you were younger (in a non homo sort of way)?!?!?

[quote user="Fuglestad"]

Ian Culverhouse

Spencer Prior

Mike Milligan (booked)

Adrian Forbes

John Polston

[/quote]

Agree with most of these although i''d probably put Forbes under the title of over-rated ;)

[quote user="ncfcfaithful"][quote user="Fuglestad"]

Ian Culverhouse

Spencer Prior

Mike Milligan (booked)

Adrian Forbes

John Polston

[/quote]

Agree with most of these although i''d probably put Forbes under the title of over-rated ;)

[/quote]

Over-rated by many yes. But, strangely I didn''t really rate him, I just liked him because his running style was so bizarre, and he seemed to care not if the ball was still with him when charging down the line. I actually think, that personally, I only remember this and not his better qualities. Always looks pretty sharp when I''ve seen him play since leaving City, albeit at in L1/L2.

Gotta love Ian Culverhouse though. Most under-rated player I can think of. Was fantastic for us, and yet even some who were there at the time seem to see him as an average squad player. I remember him being vital for us especially when we were playing the sweeper system away from home.

[quote user="ncfcfaithful"]

I was sorting out a load of old junk in my house last night and I found a photo I had taken with Rob Newman when I was 13 on a NCFC soccer school at the start of the 92/93 season!  It brought a smile to my face as big Rob was never a fans favourite and on the day only 2 of us had our photo taken with him while most of the kids lined up to have a photo taken with Ruel Fox or Gunny!!

It got me thinking of which players fans used to like who weren''t one of the more fashionable more popular playes and wwere probably a bit underrated!!  So come on who who was your secret NCFC crush on when you were younger (in a non homo sort of way)?!?!?

[/quote]What if I had a crush on them in a homo way?

More recently...Chris Brown.

A good footballer who worked hard for us but came in for a lot of criticism from some fans who could only see that he didn''t score many goals and couldn''t see what a good team player he was.

[quote user="big dick sanchez"][quote user="ncfcfaithful"]

[/quote]
What if I had a crush on them in a homo way?
[/quote]

Then that of course would be entirely your choice!!  Unless of course you said Luke Chadwick as you''d clearly be taking the pi$$!!!

[quote user="GJP"]

More recently...Chris Brown.

A good footballer who worked hard for us but came in for a lot of criticism from some fans who could only see that he didn''t score many goals and couldn''t see what a good team player he was.

[/quote]

Very true mate

[quote user="Dogger in Div 1"]I think Sutch comes top of this list
[/quote]

Oh no he doesn’t, this is about underrated and unfashionable players so let’s try Steeno instead

agreed Re Steeno! also Bobby Ullathorne, decent player for us at left back or left wing and scored some goals for us too.... i liked him.. unlucky with injuries that curtailed his career with us abit.

jas :)

[quote user="Northern Canary"]Mark Edworthy was pretty underated[/quote]Underrated??? Listening to 99% of norwich fans you''d have thought the sun shone out of Edworthy''s backside! I thought he was average, steady on a good day, with APPALLING distribution and a poor touch. But as normal, looking like you''re trying hard is better in the eyes of most English footy fans than actually being good at football.My vote goes to Clint Easton: solid, dependable and hard-working, played regularly in a relatively successful side but was utterly slated by most Norwich fans. Was never spectacular, but was almost always a 7 out of 10.

Thomas Helveg 

...was on a different (higher/cultured/sophisticated) wavelength than the team arounds him (Saffs excepted -but he got the plaudits)

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]One of my fav players of all time was Dave Phillips.[/quote]

I think our eventual slide from glory started when Phillips left. 

I know some will consider it to be swearing, but I always though Tim Sherwood was a great player - as he did pretty much proved when he left us.