Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

do you think gunn even bothered to offer clingan a new contract?

If i was gunn i would have offered clingan a new three year deal with a minimum release clause in case we do not win promotion. On top of this i would have made him captain and built the whole squad around him. I would have preferred not bothering with tudor jones & gill and used there wages for clingans new contract.

I know there is no suggestion he would sign, but the guy strikes me as being pretty loyal from the couple of interviews ive heard from him this summer ( good one in four four two mag where he cleary states hes willing to stay ) and he has already been assured of his international place by worthy.

I just get the impression the club is much more intersted in cashing in as usual then trying to keep him. After all we managed to get aston to sign a new contract in a similar situation.

Matt Gill, Tudor Jones, McVeigh or Clingan?

I know what id rather

[quote user="First Wizard"]He wants out Lincoln, considers himself too goood for League One, so very little Gunn could do imo.[/quote][Y]Why are people so caught up over Clingan? Yes, he''s a good player. But a good player that doesn''t want to be here is not worth having. May as well ensure you get a decent fee and reinvest in players who do want to be here.

[quote user="TheCardinal"][quote user="First Wizard"]He wants out Lincoln, considers himself too goood for League One, so very little Gunn could do imo.[/quote][Y]Why are people so caught up over Clingan? Yes, he''s a good player. But a good player that doesn''t want to be here is not worth having. May as well ensure you get a decent fee and reinvest in players who do want to be here. [/quote]

because clingan is the best midfielder we have had at this club in years. His passing abillities and technique on the ball are first class and this football club should want to keep players like that

[quote user="lincoln canary"]. I would have preferred not bothering with tudor jones & gill and used there wages for clingans new contract. I know there is no suggestion he would sign, but the guy strikes me as being pretty loyal from the couple of interviews ive heard from him this summer ( good one in four four two mag where he cleary states hes willing to stay ) and he has already been assured of his international place by worthy. [/quote]

I wouldn''t be surprised if Gunny has tried to get him to sign a contract, but Clingan has done his League 1 stint so its fair if he wants to move on to a championship team. I just hope we cash in on him and get a decent amount and don''t give in to a reduced price cause we need the money.

Which 442 edition was the interview in?

This is just another pointless thread trying to get at Gunn. Even if he had offered him a contract, it''s highly unlikely he would have signed it given the position we were in from Christmas onwards - just look at Croft, he never signed because he knew we were going down.

Clingan is good, but replaceable. And as our most saleable asset we should cash in and spend the money wisely.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

[quote user="lincoln canary"]. I would have preferred not bothering with tudor jones & gill and used there wages for clingans new contract. I know there is no suggestion he would sign, but the guy strikes me as being pretty loyal from the couple of interviews ive heard from him this summer ( good one in four four two mag where he cleary states hes willing to stay ) and he has already been assured of his international place by worthy. [/quote]

I wouldn''t be surprised if Gunny has tried to get him to sign a contract, but Clingan has done his League 1 stint so its fair if he wants to move on to a championship team. I just hope we cash in on him and get a decent amount and don''t give in to a reduced price cause we need the money.

Which 442 edition was the interview in?

[/quote]

july mate, right at the back

i heard at the aviva shareholder''s meeting for players and staff award thingy he said he wanted to stay because his family love the area and so does he , so i for one would be suprised to see him go if he does good luck to him seems like a good lad

[quote user="The Undertaker"]

This is just another pointless thread trying to get at Gunn. Even if he had offered him a contract, it''s highly unlikely he would have signed it given the position we were in from Christmas onwards - just look at Croft, he never signed because he knew we were going down.

Clingan is good, but replaceable. And as our most saleable asset we should cash in and spend the money wisely.

[/quote]

maybe it is a dig at gunn but i will throw plenty more digs at the guy if i dont think he is doing his upmost to keep our star players at the club.

Clingan was part of a relegation team.  Does he really deserve a new contract with a pay increase???

I''m just not sure if Clingan is a great player or if he was an ok player that stood out amongst a team of poor players... also it seems we can get more money than he is probably worth...

Clingans performances after fulhams reputed interest showed that he did not want to stay atthe club so it would be pointless offering an extension.  I think there was a discussion at teh end of the season and that was it.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]because clingan is the best midfielder we have had at this club in years. His passing abillities and technique on the ball are first class and this football club should want to keep players like that[/quote]I think it''s very naieve to think that players can be kept here against their will. Clingan (and Rusty) wants to leave. Why keep him here, against his will, when if sold we could use the money to buy two or three good players for this level that actually want to be here?

[quote user="TheCardinal"][quote user="lincoln canary"]because clingan is the best midfielder we have had at this club in years. His passing abillities and technique on the ball are first class and this football club should want to keep players like that[/quote]I think it''s very naieve to think that players can be kept here against their will. Clingan (and Rusty) wants to leave. Why keep him here, against his will, when if sold we could use the money to buy two or three good players for this level that actually want to be here?[/quote]If he wanted away then any manager would have had a meeting and attempted to change his mind. But I''m not keen on the OP''s notion of not having Gill, Tudor Jones, McVeigh and putting all our eggs in the Clingan basket. What if he gets crocked early doors? We''re going to need a squad this year, that''s the only reason we''re looking at McVeigh.As usual there will be questions as to the route that the funds raised by his departure take through the club and how much trickles into the transfer budget. But that''s for another thread. One which will inevitably be really depressing for all concerned.