Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

Fooled again?

I haven''t posted very much recently, both as  a result of time constraints, but also because I couldn''t be bothered to get involved in some of the puerile slanging that''s been going on on here as an (understandable) result of the complete lack of hard news from Carra.

I appreciate that we still have almost four weeks until the big kick off, but I can''t fight off the uneasy feeling that''s growing inside me.Whilst it''s good to see that we have brought in players on permanent contracts, rather than loanees, the quality of what we have is questionable at present, although I will keep an open mind until I see them on the pitch. However, the failure to bring in a striker of any quality concerns me greatly, as one by one our supposed targets sign elsewhere, a pattern that is all too redolent of last year.

We have not yet spent a penny in transfer fees. Does this mean that we are keeping our powder dry for a dramatic and spectacular swoop, or that the season ticket holders have been conned? It really worries me that posts have started to appear implying that the use of the rebate money to simply cover wages is part of the "deal" between board and supporters. I would be interested to have some feedback, but I suspect that the understanding of virtually every season ticket holder was that their rebate would go straight into the transfer kitty. On that basis we have at least £700K to use to buy players, more than enough for a good quality League One striker, so why have we not seen one arrive? Like many posters I was impressed by the appointment of McNally and Bowkett (although I don''t know enough about Phillips to form an opinion yet), but if the club now simply absorbs the rebate into running costs I fear that the underlying antipathy that has been simmering and building over the last four years will finally explode with terrible consequences, particularly if we start badly. Unfortunately at present it looks like the words of Pete Townsend are spot on:

[8] Meet the new boss, same as the old boss[8]

But will we get fooled again?

we paied a fee for Tudor-Jones, said to be around the £200k - £250k area

McNally says all you need to know in the interview on Waggers site:"And I''m spending a lot of time with Bryan and his team to help with

the restructuring of the squad - we''ve got one or two targets that we''d

like to join the football club and there may be one or two players that

through the process of bringing in new faces, we may have to allow to

leave.""But it is clear that we do need to strengthen in one or two areas and

that may also free up some space and allow one or two people to leave." "We are very active," he insisted. "We know the market; we are well

networked and we are looking in the UK, but we''re also looking

internationally and are aware of where Bryan needs to strengthen his

squad.""It is fair to say that Bryan is keen to strengthen our striker options,""In 46 league games you need to be scoring almost two goals a game -

and that takes some doing consistently. And we absolutely need to be

going into the season stronger in that department than we finished last

year. Bryan''s well aware of that and we are actively seeking suitable

players in that department.""I understand that, from time to time, loan signings are vital, but in

terms of our timetable we''d prefer to have the permanent deals done

earlier in the window. And if we have some ''filling up'' to do towards

the end of the window then there may be one or two loan signings that

we will pursue."

I think thats clear enough then?

[quote user="MXboy"]we paied a fee for Tudor-Jones, said to be around the £200k - £250k area[/quote]Dont let facts get in the way of a good old moan...

[quote user="...."][quote user="MXboy"]we paied a fee for Tudor-Jones, said to be around the £200k - £250k area[/quote]

Dont let facts get in the way of a good old moan...
[/quote]

My mistake. We therefore have £500K to spend. Let''s not let facts get in the way of an unquestioning defence of the board[:D]

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="...."][quote user="MXboy"]we paied a fee for Tudor-Jones, said to be around the £200k - £250k area[/quote]Dont let facts get in the way of a good old moan...[/quote]

My mistake. We therefore have £500K to spend. Let''s not let facts get in the way of an unquestioning defence of the board[:D]

[/quote]How do you know how much we have to spend? Is it a secret?[:O]

i did read that ace .

the thing is words are cheap .

did not roeder say end of last season we need a big man up front ... it never happened .

i hope im proved wrong though .

[quote user="ACE"]McNally says all you need to know in the interview on Waggers site:

"And I''m spending a lot of time with Bryan and his team to help with the restructuring of the squad - we''ve got one or two targets that we''d like to join the football club and there may be one or two players that through the process of bringing in new faces, we may have to allow to leave."

"But it is clear that we do need to strengthen in one or two areas and that may also free up some space and allow one or two people to leave."

"We are very active," he insisted. "We know the market; we are well networked and we are looking in the UK, but we''re also looking internationally and are aware of where Bryan needs to strengthen his squad."

"It is fair to say that Bryan is keen to strengthen our striker options,"

"In 46 league games you need to be scoring almost two goals a game - and that takes some doing consistently. And we absolutely need to be going into the season stronger in that department than we finished last year. Bryan''s well aware of that and we are actively seeking suitable players in that department."

"I understand that, from time to time, loan signings are vital, but in terms of our timetable we''d prefer to have the permanent deals done earlier in the window. And if we have some ''filling up'' to do towards the end of the window then there may be one or two loan signings that we will pursue."

I think thats clear enough then?

[/quote]

He talks the talk can he walk the walk?

It just seems new face same old story to me,  I am with Beau on this, we need action now not a last minute bargain discount purchase.

i think we have more than £500k left....Marshall sale + we would have had a transfer budget before the rebate. i still think we have about £1m

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="...."][quote user="MXboy"]we paied a fee for Tudor-Jones, said to be around the £200k - £250k area[/quote]Dont let facts get in the way of a good old moan...[/quote]

[/quote] And that £500,000 is on top of the competetive transfer kitty MWJ said he was going to let Gunn have .

[quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="...."][quote user="MXboy"]we paied a fee for Tudor-Jones, said to be around the £200k - £250k area[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] And that £500,000 is on top of the competetive transfer kitty MWJ said he was going to let Gunn have .
[/quote]

Haven''t stopped laughing yet.

That was only IF they hung onto all the season ticket money!

I thought Billy Graham was good at selling intangibles but this lot............

I don''t know about born again Chritians but this board treat the fans like new born babes.[:D]

As someone who did not claim their rebate I have to say that I would feel betrayed if it turns out that we can''t afford Lee and / or Dickinson and / or someone equivalent. 

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t know about born again Chritians but this board treat the fans like new born babes.[:D]

[/quote]

Oh I love it when you get all evangelical Butler![:)]

[quote user="...."][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]How do you know how much we have to spend? Is it a secret?[:O][/quote]Sorry to piss on your Delia Parade, but the fee for Tudor Jones is to be paid upon promotion... so given the current quality of our strike force, which was the point of the OP, then we can pretty much assume we got him for free...But don''t let facts get in the way of, um, misunderstandings....

I suspect that we will hold some money back to spend in the January transfer window. If, and thats''s a big if,  promotion looks possible, money will be released to fund a push. On the other hand, if everything has gone wrong, funds could be in place for a new Manager to repair the damage. Does anybody know how long Bryan Gunns''contract is? 

[quote user="John Morlar"]I suspect that we will hold some money back to spend in the January transfer window. [/quote]

Year after year the same old crap!

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe because I am down on my knees praying that this year my cynacism will be wrong.

The fans of the club are in desperate need of something good happening for them, that when you see what is being done, and try and point it out, you feel like you are taking the favourite teddy away from a loved child.

Damn it''s Friday and I must cheer up as Saturday I go outside and talk to the garden to make the plants grow better!!

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe because I am down on my knees praying that this year my cynacism will be wrong.

The fans of the club are in desperate need of something good happening for them, that when you see what is being done, and try and point it out, you feel like you are taking the favourite teddy away from a loved child.

Damn it''s Friday and I must cheer up as Saturday I go outside and talk to the garden to make the plants grow better!!

[/quote]

Don''t forget to say a big "hello" to the gnomes from me[:P][;)]

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

When my wifes great aunt died she left us her collection of wishing wells , pottery animals and gnomes. (as she knew I hated them)

Those things found so many different ways of tripping me up as I gardened that I used to bury them whenever possible.

My wife noticed the newly dug earth and  about her missing "legacy".

From the on she kept a record of how many and were in the garden

We still have that ledger called "the Gnomes day book"

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

When my wifes great aunt died she left us her collection of wishing wells , pottery animals and gnomes. (as she knew I hated them)

Those things found so many different ways of tripping me up as I gardened that I used to bury them whenever possible.

My wife noticed the newly dug earth and  about her missing "legacy".

From the on she kept a record of how many and were in the garden

We still have that ledger called "the Gnomes day book"

[/quote]

I only hope that your fortified wine has a good consistency, because you wouldn''t want runny mead, would you?[;)]

[quote user="Beauseant"]

I haven''t posted very much recently, both as  a result of time constraints, but also because I couldn''t be bothered to get involved in some of the puerile slanging that''s been going on on here as an (understandable) result of the complete lack of hard news from Carra.

I appreciate that we still have almost four weeks until the big kick off, but I can''t fight off the uneasy feeling that''s growing inside me.Whilst it''s good to see that we have brought in players on permanent contracts, rather than loanees, the quality of what we have is questionable at present, although I will keep an open mind until I see them on the pitch. However, the failure to bring in a striker of any quality concerns me greatly, as one by one our supposed targets sign elsewhere, a pattern that is all too redolent of last year.

We have not yet spent a penny in transfer fees. Does this mean that we are keeping our powder dry for a dramatic and spectacular swoop, or that the season ticket holders have been conned? It really worries me that posts have started to appear implying that the use of the rebate money to simply cover wages is part of the "deal" between board and supporters. I would be interested to have some feedback, but I suspect that the understanding of virtually every season ticket holder was that their rebate would go straight into the transfer kitty. On that basis we have at least £700K to use to buy players, more than enough for a good quality League One striker, so why have we not seen one arrive? Like many posters I was impressed by the appointment of McNally and Bowkett (although I don''t know enough about Phillips to form an opinion yet), but if the club now simply absorbs the rebate into running costs I fear that the underlying antipathy that has been simmering and building over the last four years will finally explode with terrible consequences, particularly if we start badly. Unfortunately at present it looks like the words of Pete Townsend are spot on:

[/quote]Totally agree - But given that a blind man on a flying horse can see we need a big striker, surely one of Gunn, Crook, Butterworth, McNally, Bowkett and Bowkett''s 13 year old son must be able to!I have highest hopes for the last one.Does anyone else think the thing ACE posted points to an exit for Cureton when a new striker or two turn up.

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Totally agree - But given that a blind man on a flying horse can see we need a big striker, surely one of Gunn, Crook, Butterworth, McNally, Bowkett and Bowkett''s 13 year old son must be able to!

I have highest hopes for the last one.

Does anyone else think the thing ACE posted points to an exit for Cureton when a new striker or two turn up.
[/quote]

One can only hope so.

Watched "Cat Balou" again. Lee Marvin as the drunk gun fighter, the classic line as he tries to hit the target stuck on the door, "yep he''s done it missed the barn altogether"

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="...."][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How do you know how much we have to spend?
Is it a secret?[:O]
[/quote]
Sorry to piss on your Delia Parade, but the fee for Tudor Jones is to be paid upon promotion... so given the current quality of our strike force, which was the point of the OP, then we can pretty much assume we got him for free...

But don''t let facts get in the way of, um, misunderstandings....
[/quote]

Oh dear, oh dear you mean we aren''t going to win the league??? [:^)]

I agree entirely with Beausant if it transpires we don''t get what are clearly our two top striker targets. i did not claim my rebate and when I chose to let them keep the money I did so on the basis that it would give the club some transfer funds that might enable us to push the boat out for that one signing that makes the difference. I did not allow them to keep my money to enable them to plug a gap in a substandard budget. Even without the rebate our budget should be up there with the biggets in this league. If we cannot even match Brighton for a player we are obviously interested in then it does not bode well!

I''m satisfied with the signings so far but totally agree with Beau that if there isn''t a decent strike force added then we may as well have not bothered with the others. The tone of McNally''s statement was refreshing, but the part about loans is scary, especially if we are relying on loanees for our goals yet again.

We only ever perform consistently well when we have a permanent big man up front: Sutton, Ward, Roberts, Ashton etc.

We''ve only been fooled again if we swallow what is being hyped......

No-one is fooling me personally.... but neither have they done so for many years.