Sign in to follow this  
The Gunnpowder plot

First Post.....My Views for

Hello All

I have been reading this board for a number of weeks now and just want to express my opinions on the current Norwich situation and some of the common opinions you read on view. So please discuss freely and look forward to seeing some of your reviews.

My background 25 years old. Forest at home 0-0 was my first game 1988 i think?? Been watching Norwich regualrly getting to around 15 away games a season and a few at home. Did not agree with the Gunn appointment but feel we should back him cause of our situation and he isn''t going anywhere.

Here goes some random thoughts;

1. The rebate money was yet another cheap bit of propaganda by the Club to eek every penny possible out of a fantastically loyal fan base. The money gained i believe would have just got into a massive wage pot. The main problem with this is it just covers money that was invested poorly by previous managers and the board. Ie long contracts to the likes of Drury, Martin, Curo, Doc etc. Not to mention compo paid out to the endless staff we seem to employ and sack at will

2. Can''t ubnderstand why Lee divides opinion soo much. Lee is a quality championship support striker. Ask any CB after 90 minutes what they think of him and i think you would realise how hard he works and the comittment he puts in. If we actually managed to get a cross in the box (something previous wingers have been rubbish out) he would score goals. He would be an excellent signing in League one and would take the hits the likes of Maritn and Cody can''t!!

3. Use of pre season. Pre season is vital not only to build team spirit but mould a team and practice tactics. Currently I am unimpressed with the amuont of ''open ended deals'' we have. I can understand taking non league player and given him a chance in a professional environment to shine. BUt taking the likes of Bridges is shocking, while don''t Carlise want him? Please just by a video of his performances or visit any of the hospital in the North of England for his medical history.........shocking

4. Semi as he is known is possibly the worst defender (who plays regulary) I have seen at Norwich for years. Positional he is shocking, he bottles so many 50-50 by pretending he has mis-read the step over and can''t do anything past the half way line. He needs to be replaced urgently.

5. Sammy C was our best player by a country mile. I really can''t understand have croft took POTS. The boy bottle the end of our campiagn because he knew he had no contract and he didn''t want to get injured. I''m sorry but thats the truth, he was an utter sham against Ipswich away. One lucky goal albeit it a fantastic striker to them at home earnt him that award. In the home leg Sammy covered every inch of grass in the pitch always playing both full back roles. He will be greatly missed.

6. McFat. Anybody who wants us to pay for him just so he can enjoy the fine range of pubs and bars our fine city has to offer again in my opinion needs their head read.

7. We need more signings like Cody, Tudor and Nelson to bolster s squad lacking of numbers and quality. We do need to spend money to get a RM and a Striker.

8. From day one i was his biggest fan after watching two years away at Pool. Please get behind him he is actually the best palyer we have got and we should build a team around him. WESLEY HOOLIHAN does have quality and can get us out of this league!!!! Most of the time his stuff didn''t come off because of the pathetic footballing brains around him last season.

Welcome TGP!

You will need to learn to incorporate a few spelling/grammatical mistakes in each post if you are to fit in!

[quote user="The Gunnpowder plot"]

Tight lunch breaks was always going to be some mistakes sorry.

Any thoughts on any of the points?

[/quote]i disagree with you on Lee, i think he is wanting to join for the wrong reasons, encourages the wrong style of play and isnt actually that impressive. he would be a luxury we dont need.i like the idea of trialling lads now, against reasonable opponents to see how they play, train, and see if they do fit in with lads, if they dont, then they can bugger off again.Semi is a brilliant player, but i cant stand him because he is just such an idiot who doesnt give a toss.

oh, and i dont like hoolahan, as i feel he is lightweight, only left footed (completely), not quick enough and he cant take players on. not to mention his crossing is erratic. im very much the not like camp at the minute. where as i like lappin as a player, and you may not.

Addressing the points as you''ve numbered them:

1. Agreed.

2. Largely agree, however, I believe we need Lee and another, the another being a more goal-scoring striker. I''d have love to see Dickinson here, I believe he''s a good player at this level with the potential to be better. Doesn''t look like happening now, though.

3. Disagree. I think the use of trials is very encouraging. Why should we not give trials to players Gunn believes may be able to offer us something? Surely it''s better to offer a player a trial and check him out, than sign him unwatched and on recommendation by another or watch him sign for someone else and go on to succeed at that club.

4. Agreed. I sincerely hope Micky Spillane or another right back will be signed to offer us a much needed alternative to Semi.

5. Agreed.

6. Disagree. As said before, I think McVeigh (assuming that''s who "McFat" is), provided he''s here on an inexpensive contract, is a decent enoguh squad player. What have we got to lose?

7. Agreed. We must look at signing some decent players from the lower leagues.

8. Agreed. Wes was showing us just what he can do, and I''m excited that he''s staying. I think he''ll create havoc in this league.  

[quote user="missing in action"]oh, and i dont like hoolahan, as i feel he is lightweight, only left footed (completely), not quick enough and he cant take players on. not to mention his crossing is erratic. im very much the not like camp at the minute.
where as i like lappin as a player, and you may not.
[/quote]

I find people like you very bizarre. Liking Lappin, but then criticisng Hoolahan for being too lightweight, only left footed, not quick enough and unable to take players on. They are the exact same criticisms I would levy at Lappin.

1. Drury was given a long contract because he was the best left back the club had had since Barry Butler before he got injured, Martin was given a contract because he burst on to the scene with the amusing rumours that Manure were sniffing around, Cureton, although i''m not his biggest fan he did have a proven record since leaving and before coming here hence the reason for a decent contract.

2. I agree that Lee is a proven Championshipt support striker, but we don''t know what his wage demands are or how much Colin wants for him, can we get more for our money?

3. Personally I think there''s no harm in taking people like Bridges on trial, he once commanded a £5m transfer fee and he''s still only 30. If we don''t like the look of him or he fails a medical (if it gets to that stage) then we can always say no.

4. I agree that Semi isn''t a particularly great, but perhaps the most frustrating thing is that he appears to have all the attributes to make a quality player but he just seems to lack the positional awareness to be a RB. Perhps he could be experiemented in a RM slot?

5. Realistically we were never gonna keep a hold of him once we were relegated, the only question is that can we re-invest the money wisely? Only time will tell.

6. I watched him at Fakenham and he actually looks thinner than when he left here the first time, technically he''s still a quality player, as with the Bridges situation there''s no harm in McVeigh being here, if we don''t want to sign him, then we don''t have to.

7. Agree again, and the signs are indicating that we are looking at those types of player, perhaps most crucially we are bringing ''winners'' into the club. These sigings will hopefully spread confidence throughout the club.

8. I''m still undecided as to whether Hoolahan can be that effective in League One. After going to Blackpool last season, I got talking to  a Blackpool fan and he reckoned that Hoolahan looked a bit too lightweight in League One, again only time will tell I guess.

Aside from all that, welcome to the forum, but i''ll warn you you''ll need a thick skin at times and take some things that are said on here with a pinch of salt [:)]

[quote user="TheCardinal"]

[quote user="missing in action"]oh, and i dont like hoolahan, as i feel he is lightweight, only left footed (completely), not quick enough and he cant take players on. not to mention his crossing is erratic. im very much the not like camp at the minute.
[/quote]

I find people like you very bizarre. Liking Lappin, but then criticisng Hoolahan for being too lightweight, only left footed, not quick enough and unable to take players on. They are the exact same criticisms I would levy at Lappin.

[/quote]

The difference between Lappin and anybody else we have in the squad at the moment is that Lappin has the ability to deliver an excellent cross and set pieces.

Welcome to the board matey.

Good post that i agree with on just about every point.

[quote user="The Gunnpowder plot"]

Tight lunch breaks was always going to be some mistakes sorry.

Any thoughts on any of the points?

[/quote]Welcome aboard. A few thoughts:
  • It''s great that there''s some new blood on this board, but you would be better off posting each point in an individual thread, rather than expecting comments on eight different areas, or *ideally* adding to existing threads on similar subjects. There''s a highly militant thread police force on here who will jump on double posting, posting in the wrong forum etc etc. And it''ll get your post count up too!
  • The long contracts point - if we signed players for a couple of years, the club would get flak for letting players leave for nothing, like Croft. Three years seems like a good compromise - see what they''re like for a year, then start contract negotiations with at least 18 months to go if we want to keep them.
  • Who the **** is McFat? Pattison? When did he become Scottish? Last time I looked he was South Efrican!
  • If you rate Hoolahan that highly, spell his name right!
Oh, and ignore the loonies on here!

[quote user="The Walking Man walking to Yeovil"][quote user="TheCardinal"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The difference between Lappin and anybody else we have in the squad at the moment is that Lappin has the ability to deliver an excellent cross and set pieces.

[/quote]

Yes, but absolutely nothing else. I can deliver a good set piece (from my time of playing scrum half as a Rugby) that doesn''t mean I deserve a pro contract, does it?

[quote user="TheCardinal"]Yes, but absolutely nothing else. I can deliver a good set piece (from my time of playing scrum half as a Rugby player) that doesn''t mean I deserve a pro contract, does it?[/quote]

Edited for the missing word [:D]

[quote user="missing in action"]oh, and i dont like hoolahan, as i feel he is lightweight, only left footed (completely), not quick enough and he cant take players on. not to mention his crossing is erratic. im very much the not like camp at the minute. where as i like lappin as a player, and you may not. [/quote]

[/quote]ive always seen lappin as a tough tackler, with a good cross and good work ethic, he also seems to fit well in systems whereas you have to accomdate hoolahan.Lappin is slow too, and not the biggest, but he to me has more redeeming qualities than hoolahan.

[quote user="TheCardinal"][quote user="The Walking Man walking to Yeovil"][quote user="TheCardinal"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, but absolutely nothing else. I can deliver a good set piece (from my time of playing scrum half as a Rugby) that doesn''t mean I deserve a pro contract, does it?

[/quote]

No but that''s one more thing he can do better than Hoolahan [:D] Plus Lappin can play competently at Left Back.

[quote user="missing in action"]ive always seen lappin as a tough tackler, with a good cross and good work ethic, he also seems to fit well in systems whereas you have to accomdate hoolahan.Lappin is slow too, and not the biggest, but he to me has more redeeming qualities than hoolahan. [/quote]

You must have seen Lappin in games I haven''t. I''ve never seen anything which would make me think he''s a "tough tackler". Will totally agree with good work ethic though, but so did Andy Hooooooooooooze.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree with Missing.

Hoolahoop is horrible. might have moments of magic but horrible.

Lappin can to a consistant job, a deliver a good ball. he is much like a much poor Beckham. Can kick with his right, cant head, not very fast nor skillful, but has quality delivery and great work ethic.

I think Lappin could be a big squad player for us this year.  Gives cover for Drury and those set pieces could be invaluable with players like Nelson and Doc to aim at.

Hoolahan is class, most skillful player we have and the only one I would consider a match winner.  Think he will be off by the end of Jan one way or the other.

[quote user="The Walking Man walking to Yeovil"]No but that''s one more thing he can do better than Hoolahan [:D] Plus Lappin can play competently at Left Back. [/quote]

Can''t say I agree, I''m afraid. Hoolahan under Gunn was a constant menace to the opposition, worked as hard as any and could unlock defences with his foot work. I think he''s a creative influence and will be integral to success in the coming season.

As for Lappin playing competantly at left back, again, yet to see it myself. I''ve seen him struggle against many Championship left back. Against Gorleston in the friendly last season as well, he was totally out foxed by their right winger.

I''m not doubting Lappin has his uses and I''m glad he''s staying (I personally think his best position is in central midfield, where he can use his vision and intelligence to ping balls around), I just think Hoolahan is a far, far, far better player.

[quote user="The Walking Man walking to Yeovil"]No but that''s one more thing he can do better than Hoolahan [:D] Plus Lappin can play competently at Left Back. [/quote]

Can''t say I agree, I''m afraid. Hoolahan under Gunn was a constant menace to the opposition, worked as hard as any and could unlock defences with his foot work. I think he''s a creative influence and will be integral to success in the coming season.

As for Lappin playing competantly at left back, again, yet to see it myself. I''ve seen him struggle against many Championship left back. Against Gorleston in the friendly last season as well, he was totally out foxed by their right winger.

I''m not doubting Lappin has his uses and I''m glad he''s staying (I personally think his best position is in central midfield, where he can use his vision and intelligence to ping balls around), I just think Hoolahan is a far, far, far better player.

[/quote]

Should read: "I''ve seen him struggle against many Championship right winger".

I have to agree that defensively Lappin is not the best so think using him at left back is a last resort.  Think he has a chippy quality to him in terms of dictating the play from the middle of the park.

well. these 2 players are very different in ability, skills, and even formations, i just feel that for his consistency, his tackling, his crossing ability (which is an attacking feature) and his work ethic, he is better.i feel hoolahan is a luxury you have to accomodate and HOPE does something, he goes missing in games and he doesnt offer as much as lappin in terms of an all round game.its just my view on it. some love hoolahan for the opposite reasons to me, but, i like lappin as a player more.

I''m going to slip my tin hat on and say that I think we could have a real asset in Pattison if we can get him fit and his attitude''s right. The guy has aggression, two decent feet and has an eye for goal. In my view he could be tremendous in League One as a central midfielder. Clearly there were issues between him and Gunn last year,but the onus is on the management to either sort it out or ship him elsewhere. Personally I hope its the former, because on occasions in the last two seasons we''ve had glimpses of the lad''s true potential, and bear in mind he''s still only 22,

Agreed Beau. Problem is I can''t see that rift ever healing. Too much has gone on. Reputation obviously goes around as well because an undoubtedly talented player is still here when it''s obvious he''s not wanted.

I think Pattison is an outsider but think if he had no chance in the team, he would be at Colney with Clingan and Rusty.  Think he will get a chance to impress on tour and depending how he performs and behaves might be in with a shout.

Given our dearth of resources, do not think we can afford to rule anyone out while we are paying their wages.

[quote user="Beauseant"]I''m going to slip my tin hat on and say that I think we could have a real asset in Pattison if we can get him fit and his attitude''s right. The guy has aggression, two decent feet and has an eye for goal. In my view he could be tremendous in League One as a central midfielder. Clearly there were issues between him and Gunn last year,but the onus is on the management to either sort it out or ship him elsewhere. Personally I hope its the former, because on occasions in the last two seasons we''ve had glimpses of the lad''s true potential, and bear in mind he''s still only 22,[/quote]

Agreed as well [Y]