Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Bridges would be a massive gamble!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Well we need someone, and we don''t even know if we can sign a 30 odd year old ex binner now....[/quote]

Maybe, but he keeps fit!

In my opinion, Gunn''s a fool for even considering such an inury ravaged player.............thats the scary bit,

Well, i''m not sure if Gunn knows what he is doing to be honest, just look at team selection and sub''s when he was incharge, so many times he should have brought on players at half time or after a hour, but no, lets leave it till teh 85th minuite, when we have no chance, and the other team have probably scored 2 more by then.

We do need a ''proper'' manager, but i don''t think we can get the right one in our current position. (we also need some money)

[quote user="First Wizard"]

this smacks of Tiny Talor Mk II I reckon.

[/quote]

Yup

Lee scored 2 in seven but we lost 5 of those games when we got more goals and points with Mooney & Gow

With Tiny we conceeded more goals per game with him than without him.

Both we ok as players,  both would add to the squad,  but neither were/are the "solution" to our problems nor as wonderful as some fans would make out. 

Beware false gods (or should that be wizards ?[;)] 

Of course Bridges is a gamble Wiz mate, any player with an injury record like his is going to be.

Same could be said for United and Owen.

But if you had Bridges here on a pay as you play deal i think he could do a job for us, however we''d still need Lee IMO.

I suppose it''s similar to the Carl Cort situation where he had injury problems but we structured the deal on a ''pay as you play'' basis.

Tbh if we decide to get him, I wouldn''t be surprised if it was the same type of deal therefore if he is injured all the time, it won''t cost us anything. Surely you would agree that it would be a low-risk option and therefore worth taking a stab at it Wiz?

[quote user="canaryjock"]

Tbh if we decide to get him, I wouldn''t be surprised if it was the same type of deal therefore if he is injured all the time, it won''t cost us anything. Surely you would agree that it would be a low-risk option and therefore worth taking a stab at it Wiz?

[/quote]

No Jock, not in any situation.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="canaryjock"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He has proved that he can score goals at this level so I reckon it might not be a bad option. Would give us strength in depth at least and keep our other ''strikers'' ([:(]) on their toes.

[quote user="canaryjock"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="canaryjock"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He has proved that he can score goals at this level so I reckon it might not be a bad option. Would give us strength in depth at least and keep our other ''strikers'' ([:(]) on their toes.

[/quote]

Strength in depth Jock?.............not with his record I''m afraid.

I would imagine that, with his injury record, Bridges won''t get a contract with anyone, unless its pay as you play, with a goal bonus.

He''ll know that, and he''s worth a punt on that basis, especially if its game by game.

Shame about him. He was the absolute mustard when he was at Sunderland and in his early days at Leeds.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]I would imagine that, with his injury record, Bridges won''t get a contract with anyone, unless its pay as you play, with a goal bonus. He''ll know that, and he''s worth a punt on that basis, especially if its game by game. Shame about him. He was the absolute mustard when he was at Sunderland and in his early days at Leeds.[/quote]

Even on a game by game basis, it will still cost City some money, ie hotels and treatments etc.

[quote user="Lambo"]Of course Bridges is a gamble Wiz mate, any player with an injury record like his is going to be.

But if you had Bridges here on a pay as you play deal i think he could do a job for us, however we''d still need Lee IMO.[/quote]So you want Bridges, Lee and Powell?

Is Wiz''s adversity to Bridges anything to do with his love of Jamie lad?  As the arrival of any striker would push him even further down the pecking order.

Personally, if Bridges only had one leg, I''d play him instead of barn-door Jamie any day.....................

[quote user="Dean Coneys Arse"]

Is Wiz''s adversity to Bridges anything to do with his love of Jamie lad?  As the arrival of any striker would push him even further down the pecking order.

Personally, if Bridges only had one leg, I''d play him instead of barn-door Jamie any day.....................

[/quote]

Thats just silly Dean.

The whole point of trialing anyone is to get a better look at them up close. So yes, Bridges is a risk. Gunn clearly recognises that - the trial gives him the chance to get a better look at him.

I think as well they will be looking to play him against the scots to see if he can take a few knocks.  If he can stay fit think he could be an asset (if the deal is structured correctly).

I would rather have Lee, in fact I would rather have Gow but choosers we are not.

I may be wrong about this but I thought the last few years of his career he has steered clear of injury mainly?

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="Lambo"]Of course Bridges is a gamble Wiz mate, any player with an injury record like his is going to be.

But if you had Bridges here on a pay as you play deal i think he could do a job for us, however we''d still need Lee IMO.[/quote]So you want Bridges, Lee and Powell?[/quote]

I''m not saying i want Bridges, but i''m saying i think he could do a job for us aslong as he wasn''t first choice and we signed someone, preferably Lee there should the inevitable happen and Bridges gets injured.

Powell is someone who i don''t see going straight into the first team but someone we can develop and won''t cost much.

Thi isn''t about ability, no, its about his appalling injutry record. I''m amazed that a manager and his team would even consider him, even if they are desperate!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bridges

We need a fit robust striker, and thats Lee, this smacks of Tiny Talor Mk II I reckon.

[/quote]Yes, I agree. But the "massive gamble" is mitigated by taking him on trial for a while so they can see how he plays, how he reacts the day after a game, how he can handle training, how the physio reports & scans look on a day to day basis - i.e. they can see if he''s good for glue or whether he can actually do a job.  It''s actually shrewd business I''d say, and the right thing to do.

Thi isn''t about ability, no, its about his appalling injutry record. I''m amazed that a manager and his team would even consider him, even if they are desperate!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bridges

We need a fit robust striker, and thats Lee, this smacks of Tiny Talor Mk II I reckon.

[/quote]

I said the same about Chadwick. A sick note of the highest order and just another potential drain on the wage bill.......

If he was genuinely worth a punt we wouldn''t get a look in......

7 goals in 12 starts... not a bad ratio. Also 5 of those goals came in their last games of the season. he might have a bad injury record but he does have a fair scoring record too... better than Carl Corts.

Ive gotta say I think Bridges could be a risk worth taking, he stayed pretty much injury free last year didnt he? according to my mate who supports his last club he showed glimpses of a return to his best, anyone know whether thats true? Id personally love to see him regain his confidence and stay injury free then pair him and martin up with mcdonald in the reckoning also

apparently he was playing well when the manager picked him. However i don''t think he and the carlisle manager got on so Bridges wasn''t used as much. For much of the season he was fit but didn''t get a look in. However, due to injuries/loss of form etc he got his chance and scored 5 in the last 8/9 games.

The other thing to say about Bridges, or any decent striker, is until we find a player who can deliver quality into the box on a regular basis it''s kind of immaterial who we have at centre forward.  Someone who can cross better than Croft, in other words.  Can''t be too many around in League One though perhaps Lappin is in the plans for the left wing for this reason.

well if we do sign bridges, and he gets his self fit and match sharp. Then i think with his experience he will be a good addition to the squad, I think we need a striker like LEE but not necessary him (maybe Maric?), along side him should be (cody, martin, cureton) but with bridges knowledge of this league I think he could personally come off the bench and do a good job for city.  I mean who did we exactly have to do that last season. So if he is on a free, then Gunny should take a punt on him. You cant buy experience after all!

[quote user="Mister Chops"]The other thing to say about Bridges, or any decent striker, is until we find a player who can deliver quality into the box on a regular basis it''s kind of immaterial who we have at centre forward.  Someone who can cross better than Croft, in other words.  Can''t be too many around in League One though perhaps Lappin is in the plans for the left wing for this reason.[/quote]nail on head... We need at least one if not two or three who can deliver a decent cross on the run, set peices and corners... Without such players it doesn''t matter who you really have in the middle.