Sign in to follow this  
DEB (never forgotten)

Gunn offers Hughes £7,000 a week!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hughes_(Scottish_footballer)

thats the right stephen hughes. when i first saw the article i thought of the ex-arsenal player too.

I would be reluctant to believe the words of agents. £7,000 for a player of Stephen Hughes'' capabilities is ridiculous. I would highly suspect the agent is attempting to drive up his client''s price.

Here endeth the lesson.

Given Marshall has gone and Clingan/Russell/Wes may go, I would not think that £350k per year is excessive even in League 1 for key players, I wouldn''t imagine Tudur or Nelson are on much less.

[quote user="shortfatb"]Given Marshall has gone and Clingan/Russell/Wes may go, I would not think that £350k per year is excessive even in League 1 for key players, I wouldn''t imagine Tudur or Nelson are on much less.
[/quote]

The average annual salary in league one is less than 100k per year, the average salary in the championship is just over 200k...... So clearly 350k is excessive in League One!

It has been said that we can afford an annual wage bill of £3.5m, which is 10 players at 350k per year.

All I can say is that this Hughes bloke needs to be very very good to be worth that.

Maybe, just maybe, he is really good. Some players are worth it, but I cant imagine Nelson and Jones being on anymore than 200k a year.

Let me get this straight.We offer ''OTT'' wages and Gunny is being stupid in his transfer approach.We dont offer high enough wages and we''re not ambitious enough.No win situation.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[quote user="shortfatb"]Given Marshall has gone and Clingan/Russell/Wes may go, I would not think that £350k per year is excessive even in League 1 for key players, I wouldn''t imagine Tudur or Nelson are on much less.[/quote]The average annual salary in league one is less than 100k per year, the average salary in the championship is just over 200k...... So clearly 350k is excessive in League One!

It has been said that we can afford an annual wage bill of £3.5m, which is 10 players at 350k per year.

All I can say is that this Hughes bloke needs to be very very good to be worth that.

Maybe, just maybe, he is really good. Some players are worth it, but I cant imagine Nelson and Jones being on anymore than 200k a year.

[/quote]I''m sure that you''re correct, you seem very adamant. Where did your get the information from?

From my Scottish residence perspective, I can confirm that he''s a pretty good player. He madeit in the Championship previously and was highly thought of at Leicester so he''''ll certainly be able to do a job at League 1 level. He''s a centre-mid who is a very good passer of a the ball and who was terrific for ''Well over the last couple of seasons.

I''d be very happy indeed if we got him.

Aleast it seems the clubs trying to get promoted by bringing in players just need wingers, full backs and strikers lol

Is this to replace Clingan.   It must be because we already have Gill, OTJ and Russell

[quote user="Duffman"]Is this to replace Clingan.   It must be because we already have Gill, OTJ and Russell[/quote]You''ve got to think that haven''t you?

I hope we''re pursuing the likes of Wade Small and another winger as well as this Hughes chap, because I wouldn''t want to see us blowing the little resources we have on a position that''s already relatively covered.

Come on, Fester, shut my face up and get a couple of pacey wingers on the books!

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[quote user="shortfatb"]Given Marshall has gone and Clingan/Russell/Wes may go, I would not think that £350k per year is excessive even in League 1 for key players, I wouldn''t imagine Tudur or Nelson are on much less.[/quote]The average annual salary in league one is less than 100k per year, the average salary in the championship is just over 200k...... So clearly 350k is excessive in League One!

[/quote]that figure might be very misleading. In fact i am sure it is. It sounds to me that that average takes in to account all the league one players. Players who are squad players, youngsters or signings from lower league clubs will be on small wages whereas players who are deemed as key individuals to the club could be on 7K a week at league one level. This 7K is the agent talking as well... The agent might be trying to up a deal for his player... All these things must be taken into consideration. For what it''s worth, if he was the direct replacement for Clingan I would be impressed. Hughes is a decent player and quite similar in style to Sammy.

thats aorund £350,000 we could save on a player we dont need. Without Clingan, we will still have Gill, OTJ, Russell and Smith to play there.

put that 350k into the budget for a striker then we wont get beaten to players like Lee and Dickinson.

[quote user="now youre gotta believe us....."]This guy doesn''t sound like the kind of committed player we''re after. Sounds to me like he''ll only join us if he doesn''t get a better offer![/quote]

That''s what I thought at first. But reading it again it''s his agent making those comments so I feel my first judgement was harsh. I remember the things Hucks agent was saying before he signed for us.

I have a deep mistrust of most footballers agents and this time of year is their silly season.