Sign in to follow this  
richard gere

SWAPPING MCVEIGH FOR HARTSON

Heard from a well informed source that, Celtic are very interested in Paul Mc Veigh, apparently Martin o neill has been to watch some of our games and loves mc veigh. They are ready to do a swap deal hartson for mcveigh when the transfer window opens. i think we need a big striker to play of hucks and make sure doherty is at the back where he should be. would have no problem losing mcveigh, unless he became more consistent.

McVeigh is an excellent squad player who gives us options off the bench. Unless he is looking to go for a free I would not look to swap him at the moment - he is a live player as far as I''m concerned.

As for Hartson, Leons movement on Saturday showed how much we do not need a target man but a finisher with mobility. Mobility is not Hartsons strong point but he does score/finish...

I am also wary of players coming from Scotland. Barry Ferguson was the SPL best player year in year out yet has looked distinctly average in EPL..

OTBC

But don''t forget, Zipper, that Hartson has scored goals in the EPL before going to Scotland. In fact, I remember him and Paul Kitson scoring the goals that kept West Ham in the Prem a few years back. Whereas Ferguson had only ever played in Scotland.

Personally I don''t think this rumour will develop into anything more solid than that, but if it did I would have no problems with it happening.

You are quite right Tacklebury - I guess my main concerns are

1 We lose McVeigh as he has already proved valuable when coming off the bench.

2. We do not HAVE to buy a target man as I think the team will only develop when the move away from the need to hoof the ball long but play a passing game through the midfield.

Hartson does have a proven goal scoring record at the top level so fits my demand that they should make an impact now, not in a season or twos time. Do I believe in lightening striking twice though?

OTCB

[quote]But don''t forget, Zipper, that Hartson has scored goals in the EPL before going to Scotland. In fact, I remember him and Paul Kitson scoring the goals that kept West Ham in the Prem a few years back. ...[/quote]

Can''t see it happening Tacklebury. We were in talks with Hartson for about a week in the summer and it finally broke down over personal terms. Can''t see anything has changed between now and then. Celtic might want Squizz but if Hartson won''t back down a bit on his demands, the deal won''t happen.

I am not sure about this one. I agree that Hartson could be a good signing but can he cut it at Premiership level? Can''t remember how old he is? No spring chicken though and McVeigh is certainly younger.

Then again, McVeigh, although giving us options, does tend to be inconsistent. He was fantastic against Man Utd yet against Pompey, he missed a sitter at the end. In fact, he should have hit the target and won us the game!

I know we need a striker and although I like Mckenzie, he should have got 3 goals for us Saturday....consistency is the key. I am undecided.

Hartson is on the wane -McVeigh on the rise. For a month the deal would be good- but after that terrible. We would watch Paul become a great and rue the day we sold him. Whilst Hartson would become older and more championship by the day.

Give Paul time....he will be a good un

Must admit I''ve never been the most ardent of McVeigh fans ,but a swap for a not so young and occasional pyscho does not seem the way forward

no no no

saturday proved, as has already been said on previous replies -

WE DO NOT NEED A TARGET MAN, WE NEED PLAYERS WHO CAN PASS THE BALL

mcveigh is far more valuable to us than hartson would ever be, end of story

[quote]no no no saturday proved, as has already been said on previous replies - WE DO NOT NEED A TARGET MAN, WE NEED PLAYERS WHO CAN PASS THE BALL mcveigh is far more valuable to us than hartson would ev...[/quote]

I agree 100% about the importance of passing the ball but we also need someone to put it in the net (as Saturday also proved) and Hartson is much better at that than McVeigh, or anyone else in our squad for that matter.Cant really believe O''Neil would go for it anyway.

I certainly dont think Hartson is any better than what we already have (and that doesnt say much for him !!) I think I''d rather have Rob Newman up front.

[quote]I certainly dont think Hartson is any better than what we already have (and that doesnt say much for him !!) I think I''d rather have Rob Newman up front.[/quote]

I''m not sure whether that was supposed to be a serious comment but Hartson has scored 155 goals in 328 games, mostly at the top level.I''d love you to be a bit more specific about who we''ve got with that kind of goal scoring ability.

I don''t think I''d favour this one either.  I wouldn''t mind Hartson coming in but not at the expence of McVeigh.  We''d probably get what, a couple of seasons from Hartson.  WLY has got a lot to offer.  Yes bring another striker in, but not at the expence of other players

There''s some humourous replies in this post, most notably from Keelansglove, how exactly is Mcveigh on his way up and Hartson on his way down?? Everyone loves Mcveigh and the way he plays when he comes off the bench should make him a first choice player, but the reality is that when starting, he is the most innefective player in the team, he rarely gives the ball away but he never gets into the game. Why exactly would Hartson want to come to us?? he was playing in the Euffinal last year and scores bags of goals wherever he goes (remember him taking Liverpool apart last season!). The O''Neill mcveigh rumour has been going a while but there is not a chance of Hartson coming

Hartson or Sutton would be fantastic for us but I can''t see it happening, too high wages, and they''d get bigger clubs interested. Sutton is more probable due to the fact he''s a yella, but I still can''t see it.

I don''t want to see Mcveigh go, but if it could land us as good a striker as those two I would go for it. I think McVeigh will be handy off the bench for us, but really he hasn''t played up to the standard of the play off season, ever since. I don''t think he''s suddenly going to turn into the next Rooney, we''ve had him quite a while now and he doesn''t seem to be reaching his potential.  

The trouble is jobian that I think what we are seeing from McVeigh is his potential and unfortunately he is destined to be another "bit part player" I truely hope he makes me eat my words ,but i don''t think so.