Sign in to follow this  
cambscanary

Forgive my ignorance

but can someone please explain to me what being a chairman means and what being a board member means exactly?? also what about executive and non-executive board members?? I know this is quite possibly me proving my lack of brain but i''ve never had a clue what it all means and board level. WHo puts money in?? how do they get a place on the board? do they have to gurantee funds for a place or is it just that you pick up £200,000 a year for giving advice??

Please help

Also I took this from the NCFC site:

Alan Bowkett

A lifelong Canary fan and member of the NCFC Associate Directors Group, Alan Bowkett, 58, retired earlier this week from his role as Chairman of national homes construction company Redrow, a FTSE 250 business worth an estimated £1billion.

does this mean he has a lot of money or did he just work for a big company and will be on a fat pension????

Basically i''m clueless so fill me in if you know anything

thanks

Cambs

Being a board member / chairman means that you should give advice and help make decisions in the running of the club.  They are employees of the shareholders.  It is a paid position, and does not require them to contribute any finances.

That is why it is better to have a ''poor'' businessman rather than rich idiot in that position.  You want the rich person as the shareholder and the business savvy people as board members.

As for the chairman, like most successful businessmen, I''m sure he has a few million in the bank.  Although, he is likely to be like Delia once described herself - "a poor millionaire".  I doubt he would have enough to buy into and invest in the club.

I don''t think he is worth anything of note but he does have experiance of running football clubs.

[quote user="cambscanary"]

but can someone please explain to me what being a chairman means and what being a board member means exactly?? also what about executive and non-executive board members?? I know this is quite possibly me proving my lack of brain but i''ve never had a clue what it all means and board level. WHo puts money in?? how do they get a place on the board? do they have to gurantee funds for a place or is it just that you pick up £200,000 a year for giving advice??

Please help

Also I took this from the NCFC site:

Alan Bowkett

A lifelong Canary fan and member of the NCFC Associate Directors Group, Alan Bowkett, 58, retired earlier this week from his role as Chairman of national homes construction company Redrow, a FTSE 250 business worth an estimated £1billion.

does this mean he has a lot of money or did he just work for a big company and will be on a fat pension????

Basically i''m clueless so fill me in if you know anything

thanks

Cambs

[/quote]

Being a Board Member or Chairman means you can take a perfectly good football club respected throughout the country for it''s style of play....and within a decade turn it into a glorified kitchen extension which is a laughing stock wherever our name is mentioned.

I hope this helps.

[quote user="dhickl"]Being a board member / chairman means that you should give advice and help make decisions in the running of the club.  They are employees of the shareholders.  It is a paid position.[/quote]Unless it has now changed with these appointments, the directors do not get paid. Doncaster received a salary because he was chief executive, not because he was a director. And Munby''s company received compensation for the time he spent on NCFC business. But neither was paid for being a director.McNally is in the same position as Doncaster, receiving a salary as chief executive.

[quote user="singing canary"]was it not mentioned mcnally would join the board maybe in good time . is he worth much do you know?[/quote]He was one of the 3 appointed to the board, but as I mentioned above.  The role of the director is not to invest, it is to bring business expertise and knowledge to the company and make decisions on behalf of the owners.