Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

Doherty is Staying!

But the argument "Come on then, who''s better..." is valid. If we had three other centre halfs who were challenging for the position, maybe you have a point. But we don''t. For me, Doc staying is good news. You make a lot of inaccurate points about Doc, on occasions he has dreadful games, but I can tell you as a fan who has missed only 4/5 home games in 10 years, that he is often a lifesaver. I watch from the Barclay, and we are always under the cosh in the second half, so I see his contribution. Where is the evidence that players do not look up to him as a captain? The guy being an internationl striker and missing chances in the box, well that is nit picking. I honestly don''t remember many chances he missed, mainly because he only has a few. Granted he doesn''t score goals like Malky did.Doesn''t clear his lines consistantly? Wrong. He does make poor clearences on occasions, but he clears his line more often than not. He makes last ditch tackles and gets some wrong, nut not consistantly.He actually stabalises out defence, rather than destabalises it in my opinion. Your post, albeit well written,  is nothing but a moan at a player you dislike. There is little or no substence or fact in what you type.Lastly, at least he has the desire to stick with it and not jump ship like so many others. Fact is, he''s a decent defender with a sense of pride and ownership over his job i.e playing for Norwich City.

Loyalty by the bucket load if the other 10 on the pitch have the same respect for the club and fans as this guy (and this is after being dropped & ridiculed by some of you lot) we''ll move in the right direction in no time. 

[quote user="BlueJam"]But the argument "Come on then, who''s better..." is valid. If we had three other centre halfs who were challenging for the position, maybe you have a point. But we don''t. For me, Doc staying is good news. You make a lot of inaccurate points about Doc, on occasions he has dreadful games, but I can tell you as a fan who has missed only 4/5 home games in 10 years, that he is often a lifesaver. I watch from the Barclay, and we are always under the cosh in the second half, so I see his contribution. Where is the evidence that players do not look up to him as a captain? The guy being an internationl striker and missing chances in the box, well that is nit picking. I honestly don''t remember many chances he missed, mainly because he only has a few. Granted he doesn''t score goals like Malky did.Doesn''t clear his lines consistantly? Wrong. He does make poor clearences on occasions, but he clears his line more often than not. He makes last ditch tackles and gets some wrong, nut not consistantly.He actually stabalises out defence, rather than destabalises it in my opinion. Your post, albeit well written,  is nothing but a moan at a player you dislike. There is little or no substence or fact in what you type.Lastly, at least he has the desire to stick with it and not jump ship like so many others. Fact is, he''s a decent defender with a sense of pride and ownership over his job i.e playing for Norwich City.[/quote]
Well Bluejam I''ve

sat/stood in the Barclay for 20 years and suggest you may have selected memory.

Either way I feel we differ here and won''t agree but next year spend some time

just watching Doherty and you''ll see what I mean, especially by clearing his

lines.

As for a

former international striker missing chances being classed as nitpicking?

Hmmm...I trust you are a huge fan of Cureton then.

I think our central defence is looking decent. Nelson, Stefanovic and Doherty can compete for the places with Spillane able to do a shift there if needed as well. Good healthy competition. Lovely old job.

It looks a physically strong defence  marshmallow indeed and it''s certaintly going to be a battle next year, but what worries me there is the complete lack of pace...not one of those 3 has an ounce of pace between them...against players like simeon jackson (gillingham) and simon cox (swindon) were really gonna struggle against pace I feel...maybe on games like this spillane could do a job?!

Looking back, our decline started at almost exactly the same time as Docherty joined. Uncanny coincidence maybe but I think we need a fresh start. The doc has been part of two relgation teams and therefore should go.

I cant fault his commitment but ability wise he is poor.  He terrifies me everytime he goes near the ball or more likely near the man.  This is not a sign of a good player.

And more importantly my friends who are spurs fans are still taking the p*ss out of me because him and that we have kept him.  I dont have any defence.

Well I agree with all the, shall we say, ''anti Doc'' posts who have put it much better than I in my earlier post.

I would like to be proven wrong and that he has a marvellous season. I would also feel happier if i learnt that a championship club (please any championship club) had put in an offer for him.

He kept his options open until right to the beginning of last season and obviously no one came in for him then.

Excellent posts Percy. I understand exactly where you''re coming from as I have spent games just watching him as well. With Dejan at the start of last season our defence had some composure. He didn''t need to make many "last ditch" challenges as he was positionally aware.

As for people saying how loyal he is, didn''t he go awol last summer and Roeder didn''t get a reply to his contract offer till the last minute? Sign of a man trying to jump ship... Sadly for him and us, if I was to hazard a guess no one came in for him!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"]

Oh great the big ginger fouling sasquatch is staying :(Lets be sure to set aside a good 9 pts on collatoral due to him giving away lazy penos

We coulda got at least a cow at the Norfolk show for him as well :( Such a shame.

[/quote]

Gary Doherty gave away less penalties than elliot omozusi last season....

jas :)

[/quote]

But he''ll still lose his man in the penalty area, and give away needless free kicks in dangerous positions outside it!

[/quote]

how many free kicks did clinkers give away last season because he simply could not keep hold of the ball? there are worse players in this squad than Gary Doherty...

jas :)

[/quote]Wiz wouldn''t know Jas he hasn''t seen a Norwich game for about 30 years.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]Great news. By far our best defender. [/quote]

[img]http://carrowroad.net/carrow1/Smileys/new/rofl.gif[/img]

[/quote]Name a better one!

Good news that he intends to stay.

Defends really well and gives his all all for the cause. Deserves to be captain, didn''t deserve to be relegated.

The way he reads the game and comes out to meet the ball is very impressive. It does make me laugh when people say things like "he isn''t positionally aware". He is actually very positionally aware that''s why he defends very well and that''s why he''s made a good career for himself in football because he does know what he''s doing.

[quote user="Jumpers for Goalposts"][quote user="Hardhouse44"]Great news. By far our best defender. [/quote]Doesn''t that just reflect how weak our squad is?[/quote]That’s as maybe but as we are highly unlikely to sign another centre half it is still great news that the Doc wants to stay and play.Whilst he might not be the most elegant player in the world I feel that the Doc is an easy target and yes he not the best defender out there and he makes mistakes but so do all our players defenders like goalkeepers are always going to pay a higher price for their mistakes than midfielder or even strikers who miss sitters. Christ we are quick to pick up on any error the Doc makes yet we have a midfield filled with players who can''t pass 10 yards.  I still say he''s the best defender we have and are likely to have.Good on you Gary.

[quote user="GJP"]

Defends really well and gives his all all for the cause. Deserves to be captain, didn''t deserve to be relegated.

The way he reads the game and comes out to meet the ball is very impressive. It does make me laugh when people say things like "he isn''t positionally aware". He is actually very positionally aware that''s why he defends very well and that''s why he''s made a good career for himself in football because he does know what he''s doing.

[/quote]

Agree - not sure about the captain bit though. He''s never really struck me as much of a leader.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]Great news. By far our best defender.
[/quote]

[/quote]Name a better one!
[/quote]

Andrea Dossena, Jamie Carragher, Martin Skrtel, Dario Dainelli, Ledley King........... then I woke up and realised we were in the 3rd division, seriously Doc did improve last season and will do a good job this season.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Agree - not sure about the captain bit though. He''s never really struck me as much of a leader.

[/quote]

Possibly not but then who else is there at the moment? He''s the one you know will go that bit further if he has to.

That has been a big problem for us recently I think, we don''t really have a ''natural'' leader. We really need to sign someone with leadership qualities as we looked completely directionless many times last year.

[quote user="canari francais"]

With possible exception of Shacks,ALL of the central defenders we''ve had for the past 5 yrs (inc Doc) have been PANTS. To say that he is the best,is,frankly,not saying much.

I hope,with a drop down in the level in quality of striker,and a few new faces in that area, we''ll be seeing a vast improvement in that dept come next month.

Because if we continue to concede penalties/free kicks/soft goals at the same rate as we''ve done for the last few seasons,our stay in Lge 1 will be a long one.

[/quote]Good post.  So very, very  true.  It''s not just Doherty.

[quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"]
I despair at times

with some people on this board and this is a prime example

why.

How people think

Gary Doherty is our best defender and some our best player is totally beyond me.

As I have posted on

here numerous times before the man is useless and he''s staying because no one

wants him. Supporters of other clubs think he is a joke.

Those who like him

point to his commitment ("he always gives 134.7% and bleeds yellow and green")

which is great and an attribute all players should show but anyone on this board

could do this.

To his credit he has

decent pace and wins a lot in the air in defence. He also is seen making a fair

few last ditch tackles.

The problem is

though that he makes last ditch tackles because he is so often out of position.

He follows the ball like school children do rather than holding his line which

you can see unsettles the defence. When he heads the ball, even under no

pressure, he consistently does not clear his lines and keeps heading the ball up

rather than away. No players can have confidence around him because of

this.

I spent a couple of games last year primarily just

watching Doherty seeing what he does with and without the ball. Try it next year

and you will see what I mean. 

Some of my friends

who like Doherty say "he''s good and only makes a couple of mistakes a game"

which is fair enough as no one is perfect but the mistakes he makes seem worse

than many other players as they tend to put the defence in

trouble.

This guy used to be

an international striker and we target him on attacking corners but the amount

of clear goalscoring chances he has missed is unbelievable. Has he scored 3

goals in 3 years or something similar?

In no way am I

saying that Otsemobor is as good as Dani Alves or that other defensive players

are fantastic but Doherty is the root of so many of our troubles that he needs

to get out of the side.

He destabilises our

defence and without a decent defence we will not easily get out of this division

and the decline of our club since he signed will continue. Is he the only 1st

team player in our history to drop 2 divisions with Norwich?

As a captain I can not see anyone looking up to

him, especially the young players we may be relying on for this

season.

I am

sure I will be shot down by some on here but please point out to me why you

think he is so good without using a commitment based argument or saying " come

on then, who''s better..."
[/quote]Very well put Percy.[Y]

[quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]I don''t think getting relegated twice in four years is a "good career". IMHO.

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

I don''t think getting relegated twice in four years is a "good career". IMHO.
[/quote]

You don''t think playing for Tottenham and Norwich is a good career?

Oh dear.

Well I''m chuffed he''s staying. For all the silly laughing icons there is no doubt that he is the best defender we have. Stef was a quality player but now his lack of pace is a liability.

No doubt that Doc is not a cultured defender but he is totally commited and IMO if half the other sods in the squad had given the same degree of effort that Doc puts in every single week then we would not have gone down. Of course he is a limited player but that is where we are right now and unless we can bring someone better into the squad then I for one am pleased he''s staying.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]I don''t think getting relegated twice in four years is a "good career". IMHO.[/quote]

Oh dear.

[/quote]Tottenham didn''t want him.  How many good signings have we made including him......must be lots we got relegated twice.  No b**88er will take him off our hands now, that''s why he has only now said he will stay.  IMHO.

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

I don''t think getting relegated twice in four years is a "good career". IMHO.
[/quote]

Oh dear.

[/quote]

Tottenham didn''t want him.  How many good signings have we made including him......must be lots we got relegated twice.  No b**88er will take him off our hands now, that''s why he has only now said he will stay.  IMHO.
[/quote]

But you would agree that playing for Spurs and Norwich (plus a bunch of times for Ireland) is a good career?

I mean...you just don''t do what he''s done if you''re not a good player.

It''s a bit like when people used to say Gary Neville is rubbish. Hence why he''s played for Man Utd for years and years and years.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]I don''t think getting relegated twice in four years is a "good career". IMHO.[/quote]

Oh dear.

[/quote]Tottenham didn''t want him.  How many good signings have we made including him......must be lots we got relegated twice.  No b**88er will take him off our hands now, that''s why he has only now said he will stay.  IMHO.[/quote]

But you would agree that playing for Spurs and Norwich (plus a bunch of times for Ireland) is a good career?

I mean...you just don''t do what he''s done if you''re not a good player.

It''s a bit like when people used to say Gary Neville is rubbish. Hence why he''s played for Man Utd for years and years and years.

[/quote]I hate Gary Neville and Man U for that matter, but please don''t try and compare Gary Doherty to him.  Neither is their any comparison between the class of player fielded by Ireland, and England, nor Man U .  I reiterate, Tottenham didn''t want him and he''s been a pivotal part of Norwich City......relegated twice in four years.  I would call that abject failure for him and City for that matter, and any others, management or players, involved.Perhaps we should just agree to differ.

[quote user="JTG"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"]

Instead of throwing insults people should just realise that Doc really is a 50 - 50 player in that 50 % fans love him 50 % hate him. Thats just how it has always been and will be.

I love the way i get flamed simply because i dont rate the guy past backup ! 

[/quote]More like because of your idiotic first post on this thread.[/quote]If my first post was idiotic then you must be king of the idiots because you disagree with me !Sorry, just using your own ideology to classify yourself in a bracket because I disagree with you.You disagree with me ergo im an idiot, therefore, i disagree with you ergo your an idiot.I appologise in advance as this concept may well be way over your head JTG :(

Then he should have been Mr Statto rather than ignorant, and if he couldnt take the light humor in my first post then he needs a personality transplant.No need to go throwing insults, play with fire and get burnt imho.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]Great news. By far our best defender. [/quote]

[/quote][img]http://www.entropiaforum.com/forums/images/smilies/handjob.gif[/img]