Sign in to follow this  

Would a starting 11 of :

RuddSpillane               Stefanovic              Nelson                             DruryK. Smith              Clingan                Gill/OTJ/Russell              Hoolahan

Cody Mac           Lee/Dickinson/Cureton

be enough to mount a strong promotion charge from league 1? Obviously much of the above depends on Clingan and Hoolahan staying with us and on Gunny picking the right central midfield pairing (strong backbone to the team and all that). A back up keeper and RM, keeping Clingan and Hoolahan and signing one of either Lee or Dickinson is of vital importance to me.Thoughts anyone?

I can''t say that I would play Nelson ahead of Doc and I certainly wouldn''t put Cureton anywhere near the 11. That said it doesn''t look a bad team does it but we need a squad who are up to it not just a starting 11.

[quote user="Attleborough_Canary"]I can''t say that I would play Nelson ahead of Doc and I certainly wouldn''t put Cureton anywhere near the 11. That said it doesn''t look a bad team does it but we need a squad who are up to it not just a starting 11.[/quote]Agree with all of that as well.Must stress that the only reason I put Barndoor in the mix was because at the moment (without either Lee or Dickinson) its just him and Cody upfront.

[quote user="...."]                          RuddSpillane               Stefanovic              Nelson                             DruryK. Smith              Clingan                Gill/OTJ/Russell              Hoolahan

be enough to mount a strong promotion charge from league 1? Obviously much of the above depends on Clingan and Hoolahan staying with us and on Gunny picking the right central midfield pairing (strong backbone to the team and all that). A back up keeper and RM, keeping Clingan and Hoolahan and signing one of either Lee or Dickinson is of vital importance to me.Thoughts anyone?[/quote]Well i think we need a more experienced Gk as our number 1. Also i would play Doherty ahead of Nelson. I wouldn''t have Drury as my first choice LB i think a new LB is what we need desperately. I think that midfield would be good but without Smith, I do think he''s good but not quite ready yet, and new RM is a position we need badly too. Upfront i''d be pleased with Mcdonald and Dickinson with Martin and Cureton is reserve, also i think Mcdonald and Lee would be good upfront with Cureton and Martin on the bench. So my team would more likely be:                               Doyle ?Spillane       Stefanovic       Doherty          New LBNew Rm     Clingan (Gill if Clingan goes)      Tudor Jones  Hoolahan                     Mcdonald      Lee/DickinsonRudd, Cureton Martin Smith, Nelson, Drury Gill (if Clingan still here)

Forgot Russell, if Clingan goes then my CM partnershop would be Gill and Tudor Jones with Russell on the bench,

We have three basic problems to sort:

1. Lack fo pace anywhere in the team.

2. Lack of creativity in centre of midfield.

3. Lack of two forwards who are each capable of scoring 20 goals (if promotion is the objective).

[quote user="Desert Fox"]

We have three basic problems to sort:

1. Lack fo pace anywhere in the team.

2. Lack of creativity in centre of midfield.

3. Lack of two forwards who are each capable of scoring 20 goals (if promotion is the objective).

[/quote]I wouldn''t say we had either number 2 or 3 when we got promoted to the premiership.

[quote user="...."]                          Rudd

Spillane               Stefanovic              Nelson                             Drury

K. Smith              Clingan                Gill/OTJ/Russell              Hoolahan

be enough to mount a strong promotion charge from league 1?

Obviously much of the above depends on Clingan and Hoolahan staying with us and on Gunny picking the right central midfield pairing (strong backbone to the team and all that).

A back up keeper and RM, keeping Clingan and Hoolahan and signing one of either Lee or Dickinson is of vital importance to me.

Thoughts anyone?
[/quote]

Probably not. And as for that team...

Not sure about the ''keeper. It''s a big ask for someone with no first team experience at any level.

I also think Semmy will be right back, regardless of how rubbish he has been.

Obviously Doherty will be in the centre of defence. It''ll be a question of who partners him.

Not convinced Smith is the answer on the right wing either.

Also I''d be surprised if Cody was first choice. I think they''ll aim to have a couple of strikers who are a bit more proven.

[quote user="ACE"]Was it good enough to stop us getting relegated?
[/quote]

This was the team that was posted by the orignal poster:

Rudd

Spillane               Stefanovic              Nelson                             Drury

K. Smith              Clingan                Gill/OTJ/Russell              Hoolahan

Of that team only Clingan and possibly Russell played pretty much all the season, as did Hoolahan, but incidently it is the belief of many that if he''d of stayed fit we''d have stayed up. So in answer to your question we don''t know because we didn''t have that team...

this is the what we have at the moment,  

rudd

stefanovic                  doc               nelson

tudur jones           clingan            gill 

pattison                                                  hoolahan

cody mac             martin 

subs

steer,semi,drury,spillane,russell,smith,cureton,   

Big Bob,

Fair point, although I would suggest that an on form Mulryne was more creative than anybody we have now in CM. Also we had essentially had four forwards sharing the goals in that season plus Huckerby. I cant see 40 goals plus coming from Lee, McDonald, Martin and Curton combined. I am not trying to be negative but think we are short of quality - but this is true of most teams in our division.

Unless he''s in one of his awkward moods, I would prefer Martin to Cureton and, while he is not a target man, he could supply chances for Cody, as well as being a goal scorer himself.Clearly a front line of Cody and Curo is just not on. We tried a strike force like that last season, and it didn''t work.I think that Clingan will be gone by August, although I hope that we either get a good figure or hold out. If he has gone, then the midfield more or less picks itself:K.Smith/S.Nelson     Gill    T- Jones     Hoolahan/LappinGunny and Co. seem to be looking for strikers and a keeper, but even now we have Lappin available, with Drury''s injury history we could be hard pressed at LB. We are not much better ar RB.

Personally I''m not going to play this game until we have a few more signings in... seems pointless to speculate on some of the key positions...

That team is nowhere near good enough for promotion - and thats including keeping Clingham and Hoolhan who could very well be leaving. The 11 you mention are not that bad a team in parts (although I would certainly have Docs instead of Nelson and Patterson somewhere) but where is the strength in depth? We cant go all season without injuries or suspensions - how many games are we going to get out of Drury and Stefanovic for example? Neither can you expect youngsters like Rudd, Cody and Kory Smith to play 46 tough league games without suffering a dip in form or stamina now and again.

The group you show is not too bad and should be good enough for top half or higher but we have to have a bigger squad to have a real chance.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]

That team is nowhere near good enough for promotion - and thats including keeping Clingham and Hoolhan who could very well be leaving. The 11 you mention are not that bad a team in parts (although I would certainly have Docs instead of Nelson and Patterson somewhere) but where is the strength in depth? We cant go all season without injuries or suspensions - how many games are we going to get out of Drury and Stefanovic for example? Neither can you expect youngsters like Rudd, Cody and Kory Smith to play 46 tough league games without suffering a dip in form or stamina now and again.

The group you show is not too bad and should be good enough for top half or higher but we have to have a bigger squad to have a real chance.

[/quote]I did actually say ''starting 11'' ... [:P]In terms of squad I agree, we need more depth.

I believe we will lose Clingan, Pattison, Hoolahan and Russell.  If this is the case then we need a goalkeeper, a big striker, a right winger, a right back, a creative CM, and attacking CM.

GK?

RB?   Doc   Stef    Drury

RM?  CM?  OTJ   Lappin

McDonald/Martin  CF?

For me we have half a first team good enough for promotion

I don''t thinkClingan won''t be here for the start of the season.

What about Martin on the right?

It would be nice to actually have a right sided player who is a genuine goal scoring threat (i e 10+ goals a season)

Rudd

Martin                    Gill                         OTJ                          Hoolahan

STRIKER                                  Cody Mac

If we keep Hoolahan you could create a free role for him with the following..........The three midfield players are very defensive orientated

Rudd

Spillane               Stefanovic              Nelson                       Drury

Gill                           OTJ                        Lappin            

Hoolahan

Martin/STRIKER                                          Cody Mac

[quote user="Libbra Lives"]

I believe we will lose Clingan, Pattison, Hoolahan and Russell.  If this is the case then we need a goalkeeper, a big striker, a right winger, a right back, a creative CM, and attacking CM.

GK?

RB?   Doc   Stef    Drury

RM?  CM?  OTJ   Lappin

McDonald/Martin  CF?

For me we have half a first team good enough for promotion

[/quote]No way is Drury good enough to get us promotion, he''s so slow now, awful going forward, can''t pass, can''t cross, plus i''m willing to bet he''ll be injured for half the season at least, maybe a blessing in disguise.