Sign in to follow this  
ACE

The End Of Impartial Commentary From Archant?

[quote user="Mutley"]

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]Nice to see the PinkUn forum isn''t jumping the gun or imagining worst case scenarios already. Oh wait....[/quote]

whats that you`re towing Pete? Oh it appears to be the party line!!![;)]

Pete                                           Pete`s boss (new board member perhaps)

Only joking Pete but you`ve gotta to see the irony of it all!!!  

[/quote]

I suspect a memo or two will fall heavily on his desk ere long.....

It''s what bosses do.... and what employees have to do.......

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]

[quote user="Blue"]Sort of explains why that person couldn''t get their letter published a couple of weeks ago!  I can''t see a director of the club allowing his own company to openly criticise his other interest....[/quote]

No it doesn''t. The MD doesn''t do the letters page in the newspaper.

[/quote]

no he doesn''t.. but he has his business interests to protect doesn''t he?

not going to put you in an awkward situation Pete but whilst the MD might not be hands on with things at Archant towers he isnt just going to let people pan the club via the letters page is he?

jas :)

[quote user="ACE"]Absolutely right.  Regardless of what you believe about Cullumgate, we would NEVER have had that can of wormed opened by the EDP now.[/quote]That betrays a lack of understanding of what went on. The EDP was effectively handed the story by Cullum,  and could not have ignored it even if it had wanted to.Having been given the story its coverage was laughably bad. To carry on with your figure of speech, it never actually opened up the can of worms to reveal what was inside.That is why, significantly, you use the phrase "regardless of what you believe" about Cullumgate. If the EDP had done its job there would not be room still for mere beliefs (and all the myths) - readers would KNOW.So to suggest that this appointment of  an Archant executive to the NCFC board might somehow hamper the coverage of a new Cullumgate is ironic in the extreme.

I only pop on to this forum very rarely nowdays... This thread reminds why.

Very embarrassing... all the conspiracy theories on here about censorship and reasons for appointing someone is just laughable.

You don''t tow the party line. You toe the party line. It''s in reference to politicians metaphorically standing in line on a specific issue.

This message board really is down on everything NCFC isn''t it?

I can understand why you all hate Delia though she saved the club from oblivion then over the years pumped £12m of her own money in and introduced off the pitch initiatives to raise more money for the club. In doing this she''s made your lifes a living hell because you still have to go and watch them every week.

If supporting NCFC every gets as horrible for me as it is for most who post on here I''ll just stop. I can say that though because I know it won''t happen. I''d watch them in conference if I had to.

''The End''?Richard Balls was pretty much the only guy there who ever put reasoned and measured questions to the club in his columns - Adam Aiken seems to think his constant moaning works as a substitute (It doesn''t).  None of the main papers have done any actual journalism on the club in a long, long time, so I don''t see what difference this will make.  In fact, sadly, the most probing questions I can recall being asked of the club recently came from Radio Norfolk, when Goreham interviewed Gunn just before he was announced and basically told him that a majority of fans didn''t want him as manager.  Stirring stuff - Paxman move over...

Despite all of this....

The EDP has many many more pages covering all things non-football.... and it remains the best local newspaper in the land....

Sad that it''s role is now being questioned....and equally sad that it''s owner didn''t anticipate this fallout.

I dont think he was employed in order to gain a hold on the media.  However are you THAT naive to believe that if something damaging was in the EDP''s lap that just maybe someone would say "we have been told to tone this down".

[quote user="Steve H"]

Very embarrassing... all the conspiracy theories on here about censorship and reasons for appointing someone is just laughable.

[/quote]

ACE...  In response to your question no I''m not naive thank you very much for asking though. What I''d like to know is are you aware that there are other news services reporting on Norwich City other than Archant & the EDP???

Are you THAT naive to think that If someone was to put a story in the lap of the EDP and it didn''t get reported or it got heavily altered/censored that they wouldn''t seek out another company or method of getting that story in the media???

It''s not like we are living in North Korea and we only have one source for information, if there is news to be leaked from Carrow Road there are other places for it to come from other than Archant, likewise there are other people like the BBC who Peter Cullum could have courted rather than the EDP.

I really don''t know why people whinge about Archant... If you don''t like them don''t buy there papers or use their websites.

[quote user="ACE"]I dont think he was employed in order to gain a hold on the media.  However are you THAT naive to believe that if something damaging was in the EDP''s lap that just maybe someone would say "we have been told to tone this down".

[quote user="Steve H"]

[/quote][/quote]

Would a paper outside Norfolk care?  Or report it on their front page?  Get real.[quote user="Steve H"]

ACE...  In response to your question no I''m not naive thank you very much for asking though. What I''d like to know is are you aware that there are other news services reporting on Norwich City other than Archant & the EDP???

Are you THAT naive to think that If someone was to put a story in the lap of the EDP and it didn''t get reported or it got heavily altered/censored that they wouldn''t seek out another company or method of getting that story in the media???

It''s not like we are living in North Korea and we only have one source for information, if there is news to be leaked from Carrow Road there are other places for it to come from other than Archant, likewise there are other people like the BBC who Peter Cullum could have courted rather than the EDP.

I really don''t know why people whinge about Archant... If you don''t like them don''t buy there papers or use their websites.

[quote user="ACE"]I dont think he was employed in order to gain a hold on the media.  However are you THAT naive to believe that if something damaging was in the EDP''s lap that just maybe someone would say "we have been told to tone this down".

[quote user="Steve H"]

[/quote][/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe not ACE, but the local BBC would, Anglia would, Radio Broadland would...If there was a story that damaging it''d come out in one of those media. Then, if Archant had manipulated things a little, they''d have shot themselves in the foot. It won''t happen. This is a small city and county - the truth will always out (unless you''re a conspiracy theorist of course!).

I think seeing it in black and white is hardly my point.My point is that would coverage of a news item damaging to the board, say proof emerging that Cullum had a decent bid kicked back for example, be played down.  Would all facts come out, would it make the front page, would the journo''s have access to or be warned off sources in and around the club.To suggest a media company, one of the most dirty, underhand, dodgy industries going is whiter than white is fair enough but as I say, I believe it is a naive view.[quote user="LQ"]Maybe not ACE, but the local BBC would, Anglia would, Radio Broadland would...If there was a story that damaging it''d come out in one of those media. Then, if Archant had manipulated things a little, they''d have shot themselves in the foot. It won''t happen. This is a small city and county - the truth will always out (unless you''re a conspiracy theorist of course!).

[/quote]

[quote user="LQ"]Maybe not ACE, but the local BBC would, Anglia would, Radio Broadland would...

If there was a story that damaging it''d come out in one of those media. Then, if Archant had manipulated things a little, they''d have shot themselves in the foot. It won''t happen. This is a small city and county - the truth will always out (unless you''re a conspiracy theorist of course!).

[/quote]

Well done LQ it seems you''ve grasped the facts... There is plenty of local media aside from Archant. You are also right that it would be stupid of Archant to manipulate things because it would show up very quickly against what everyone else was reporting.

[quote user="LQ"]Maybe not ACE, but the local BBC would, Anglia would, Radio Broadland would...

If there was a story that damaging it''d come out in one of those media. Then, if Archant had manipulated things a little, they''d have shot themselves in the foot. It won''t happen. This is a small city and county - the truth will always out (unless you''re a conspiracy theorist of course!).

[/quote]

Instead of digging they will simply be filling in any holes as quickly as they can....

The independence is lost.... and if you think embarrassing facts can''t be hidden you are very wrong. It needs an insider to "leak" such information.... and that possibility has been nicely stitched up. Any reporter trying to do his job will now have to account for what he/she says or face the consequences.

"Conspiracy theorist" my arse.... and such a phrase is clearly the official line in order to intimidate anyone who dare consider further options......

I hope Delia is happy with your contributions thus far on here.... as I''m afraid I smell a rat. PR spin at it''s most amateur.....

What "other" local media is there that could have broken the Cullum story? Please do share all these "other" media sources we have here in Norfolk....[quote user="Steve H"]

[quote user="LQ"]Maybe not ACE, but the local BBC would, Anglia would, Radio Broadland would...If there was a story that damaging it''d come out in one of those media. Then, if Archant had manipulated things a little, they''d have shot themselves in the foot. It won''t happen. This is a small city and county - the truth will always out (unless you''re a conspiracy theorist of course!).

[/quote]

Well done LQ it seems you''ve grasped the facts... There is plenty of local media aside from Archant. You are also right that it would be stupid of Archant to manipulate things because it would show up very quickly against what everyone else was reporting.

[/quote]

I really feel people need to wake up to this one.  Archant totally dominate the local media.  Ask anyone who runs a company and has to pay their extortionate job ad rates, or their extortionate housing ad rates because there are no other alternatives.  Flick through the shelves of the newsagent and see just how many publications they produce.  They have a total stranglehold on the media of Norfolk.  They are shareholders in the club and now have a place on the board.Is that really something we should not challenge?

[quote user="ACE"]I really feel people need to wake up to this one.  Archant totally dominate the local media.  Ask anyone who runs a company and has to pay their extortionate job ad rates, or their extortionate housing ad rates because there are no other alternatives.  Flick through the shelves of the newsagent and see just how many publications they produce. 

They have a total stranglehold on the media of Norfolk.  They are shareholders in the club and now have a place on the board.

Is that really something we should not challenge?
[/quote]

I''m warming nicely to you ACE.....

Some quality views of late...... [Y]

[quote user="Cluck is God"]

[quote user="ACE"]I really feel people need to wake up to this one.  Archant totally dominate the local media.  Ask anyone who runs a company and has to pay their extortionate job ad rates, or their extortionate housing ad rates because there are no other alternatives.  Flick through the shelves of the newsagent and see just how many publications they produce. 

They have a total stranglehold on the media of Norfolk.  They are shareholders in the club and now have a place on the board.

Is that really something we should not challenge?
[/quote]

I''m warming nicely to you ACE.....

Some quality views of late...... [Y]

[/quote]

I find it quite unusual.....and should be challenged...

03 July 2009
Fan''s Eye coverage - it''s business as usual

ADAM AIKEN - A VIEW FROM THE STAND

There''s no point in pretending it''s not an issue. Thursday''s appointment of Stephan Phillips to the board of Norwich City has led to a chorus of concern about the independence of Archant''s future Canaries coverage.

I don''t speak for the company or for anyone other than myself, but if there are any doubters out there, let me be clear - as far as this columnist is concerned, it''s going to be business as usual.

• For Fan''s Eye''s full reaction to this week''s board appointments, see Saturday''s EDP.

East Anglian Daily Times
    Eastern Daily Press
    Evening News
    Evening Star

paid for weekly newspapers
    Barking & Dagenham Post
    Beccles & Bungay Journal
    Bexley Times
    Bromley Times
    Dartford & Swanley Times Series
    Dereham Times
    East London Advertiser  
    Exmouth Journal
    Fakenham & Wells Times
    Gravesend Reporter
    Great Yarmouth Mercury
    Hackney Gazette
    Hampstead & Highgate Express
    Hornsey & Crouch End Journal
    Ilford Recorder
    Islington Gazette
    Kilburn Times (also free)
    Lowestoft Journal
    Marylebone Express (also free)
    Newham Recorder
    North Norfolk News
    Pink Un
    Romford Recorder
    Sidmouth Herald
    Tottenham, Wood Green & Edmonton Journal (also free)
    Welwyn & Hatfield Times
    Wembley & Kingsbury Times (also free)
    Weston & Somerset Mercury 
    Willesden & Brent Times

free weekly newpapers
    Bexley Times
    Bromley Times
    Bury Mercury
    Cambs Times
    Camden Gazette
    Coastal Advertiser
    Diss Mercury
    The Docklands
    Dunmow Broadcast & Recorder
    East Herts Herald
    Ely Standard
    Exmouth Herald
    Felixstowe Advertiser
    Great Yarmouth Advertiser
    Harlow Herald
    Herts Advertiser Series
    Hunts Post 
    Ilford & Redbridge Free Post
    Ipswich Advertiser
    Kilburn Times (also paid-for)
    Midweek Herald 
    North Herts Comet Series
    North Devon Gazette
    North Somerset Times
    Norwich Advertiser
    Property Extra
    Romford & Havering Free Post
    Saffron Walden Reporter
    Stowmarket Advertiser
    Stratford & Newham Express
    Sudbury Mercury
    The Royston Crow
    Thetford & Brandon Times
    Watton & Swaffham Times
    Waveney Advertiser
    Wembley & Kingsbury Express
    Weston-super-Mare Admag
    Wisbech Standard
    Wymondham & Attleborough Mercury

Air Gunner
    Air Gun World
    Cambridgeshire Agenda
    Agricultural Trader
    Angel
    Anglia Afloat
    Berkshire & Chilterns Life

Birmingham Life
    Bride (SW)
    Bride (NW)
    British Photographic Industry News 
    Buckinghamshire Life
    Business to Business Life
    Cambs Jobs 24
    Canal Boat
    Cheltenham Life
    Cheltenham Oracle
    Cheshire Life
    Compass South
    Compass Wessex
    Compass Wey
    Cornwall Life
    Cotswold Life
    Cotswold Living
    Cotswold Weddings
    Derbyshire Life
    Devon Life
    Dorset
    Durham County Life
    Country Smallholding
    EADT Suffolk
    EDP Norfolk
    The English Garden
    The English Home
    Essex Life 
    France Magazine
    French Property News
    Gloucester Oracle
    Go Flying
    Grove
    Hampshire Life
    Health 24
    Heritage
    Hertfordshire Life
    Herefordshire and Powys Life
    Kent Life
    Kent Weddings

Lake District Life
    Lancashire Life
    Leicestershire County Magazine
    Living France
    Living South
    Living Edge
    Living Hadley
    Living North

Let''s Talk!
    North
    Northamptonshire County
    North East Life
    NorthWest
    Nottinghamshire Life & Countryside
    Oxfordshire Life
    Peak District Life
    Photography Monthly
    Pilot
    Professional Photographer
    Property Mart
    Cambridgeshire Property Plus
    Pure Cheshire
    Pure Lancashire
    Pure Taste

Pure Weddings
    Pure Yorkshire
    Reach
    Rise
    Shropshire Life
    So British
    Somerset Life
    Sport Diver 
    Sporting Shooter
    Staffordshire County Magazine
    Suffolk Business
    Surrey Life
    Surrey Weddings

Sussex Life
    Sussex Weddings

SW/SW6
    The British Association for Shooting & Conservation (BASC): The Custodian
    BASC: Shooting & Conservation
    BASC: Wildfowling
    The Green
    The Guide
    The Hill
    The Resident
    Warwickshire Life
    West Essex Life
    Westside
    Which Digital Camera?
    Wiltshire
    Worcestershire Life
    Yorkshire Life
    Yorkshire Relish

[quote user="ACE"]What "other" local media is there that could have broken the Cullum story? Please do share all these "other" media sources we have here in Norfolk....[/quote]The fear about the appointment of Phillips is an understandable one. The idea that the Cullum story would never have got out if Archant had wanted to suppress it is just wrong.I could name you a dozen media sources, all available in Norfolk, that would have broken the story, from the Financial Times at the cheap and cheerful end of the market to The Sun and the Insurance Times at the top end.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

03 July 2009
    Fan''s Eye coverage - it''s business as usual

ADAM AIKEN - A VIEW FROM THE STAND

There''s no point in pretending it''s not an issue. Thursday''s appointment of Stephan Phillips to the board of Norwich City has led to a chorus of concern about the independence of Archant''s future Canaries coverage.

I don''t speak for the company or for anyone other than myself, but if there are any doubters out there, let me be clear - as far as this columnist is concerned, it''s going to be business as usual.

• For Fan''s Eye''s full reaction to this week''s board appointments, see Saturday''s EDP.
  • [/quote]

Brave words Adam..........and it''s good to see that there are a few other media people who dislike being '' on message '' the whole time.

But can you really see both you and the other excellent columnist Steve Gedge not being '' surplus to requirements '' a few months down the line ? 

The answer is in a post you have quoted by LQ...

There is Anglia TV, the BBC and local radio stations.

Admittedly Archant has a monopoly on newspapers but that isn''t the be all and end all is it??? Radio & TV are just as a capable of breaking and covering a story as a newspaper.

And as I said in a previous post if the EDP hadn''t played ball with Cullum he could easily have courted somebody like the BBC if he had needed too.

[quote user="ACE"]What "other" local media is there that could have broken the Cullum story? Please do share all these "other" media sources we have here in Norfolk....

[quote user="Steve H"]

[/quote]

[/quote][/quote]

I think this says it all.   Alternative local media to break the story through MY AR*E.Wake up.[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

East Anglian Daily TimesEastern Daily PressEvening NewsEvening Star  paid for weekly newspapersBarking & Dagenham PostBeccles & Bungay JournalBexley TimesBromley Times Dartford & Swanley Times Series Dereham TimesEast London Advertiser   Exmouth Journal Fakenham & Wells Times Gravesend Reporter Great Yarmouth MercuryHackney GazetteHampstead & Highgate Express Hornsey & Crouch End Journal Ilford Recorder Islington GazetteKilburn Times (also free)Lowestoft JournalMarylebone Express (also free)Newham Recorder North Norfolk NewsPink Un Romford Recorder Sidmouth HeraldTottenham, Wood Green & Edmonton Journal (also free)Welwyn & Hatfield Times Wembley & Kingsbury Times (also free)Weston & Somerset Mercury  Willesden & Brent Times  free weekly newpapersBexley TimesBromley TimesBury Mercury Cambs Times Camden Gazette Coastal Advertiser Diss MercuryThe Docklands Dunmow Broadcast & Recorder East Herts HeraldEly Standard Exmouth Herald Felixstowe Advertiser Great Yarmouth Advertiser Harlow HeraldHerts Advertiser SeriesHunts Post  Ilford & Redbridge Free Post Ipswich AdvertiserKilburn Times (also paid-for) Midweek Herald  North Herts Comet Series North Devon GazetteNorth Somerset Times Norwich AdvertiserProperty ExtraRomford & Havering Free Post Saffron Walden Reporter Stowmarket Advertiser Stratford & Newham ExpressSudbury Mercury The Royston Crow Thetford & Brandon Times Watton & Swaffham Times Waveney AdvertiserWembley & Kingsbury ExpressWeston-super-Mare Admag Wisbech Standard Wymondham & Attleborough Mercury

Air Gunner Air Gun WorldCambridgeshire Agenda Agricultural Trader AngelAnglia Afloat Berkshire & Chilterns LifeBirmingham LifeBride (SW)Bride (NW) British Photographic Industry News Buckinghamshire LifeBusiness to Business LifeCambs Jobs 24Canal Boat Cheltenham LifeCheltenham OracleCheshire Life Compass SouthCompass WessexCompass Wey Cornwall LifeCotswold LifeCotswold Living Cotswold WeddingsDerbyshire LifeDevon LifeDorsetDurham County LifeCountry SmallholdingEADT SuffolkEDP Norfolk The English GardenThe English Home Essex Life  France MagazineFrench Property News Gloucester OracleGo FlyingGrove Hampshire LifeHealth 24Heritage Hertfordshire Life Herefordshire and Powys Life Kent LifeKent WeddingsLake District LifeLancashire LifeLeicestershire County Magazine Living FranceLiving South Living Edge Living HadleyLiving North

Let''s Talk!NorthNorthamptonshire County North East Life NorthWest Nottinghamshire Life & Countryside Oxfordshire Life Peak District LifePhotography Monthly Pilot Professional Photographer Property MartCambridgeshire Property PlusPure CheshirePure Lancashire Pure Taste Pure WeddingsPure Yorkshire Reach Rise Shropshire Life So BritishSomerset LifeSport Diver Sporting Shooter Staffordshire County Magazine Suffolk BusinessSurrey LifeSurrey WeddingsSussex LifeSussex WeddingsSW/SW6 The British Association for Shooting & Conservation (BASC): The CustodianBASC: Shooting & Conservation BASC: WildfowlingThe GreenThe GuideThe HillThe Resident Warwickshire Life West Essex LifeWestside Which Digital Camera?WiltshireWorcestershire Life Yorkshire Life Yorkshire Relish

[/quote]