Sign in to follow this  
ACE

The End Of Impartial Commentary From Archant?

Hard to see Lakey and co having the guts to challenge anything now, and if they do getting quietly told to back off.Not healthy??

Since when have Archant ever been impartial? I agree it''s not healthy but Archant have been trying to cosy up to the club for a long long time because they recognise that NCFC is their main source of thier stories.

Ok let me re-phrase, can anyone see the EDP sports desk sending another "letter from the EDP" asking for answers?

[quote user="The Walking Man walking to Yeovil"]

[quote user="ACE"]Ok let me re-phrase, can anyone see the EDP sports desk sending another "letter from the EDP" asking for answers?
[/quote]

No. [:P]

[/quote]

It''ll save on the stamp, Stephan Phillips office is on the same floor as the sports desk!

[quote user="ACE"]Hard to see Lakey and co having the guts to challenge anything now, and if they do getting quietly told to back off.

Not healthy??
[/quote]

Very unhealthy from the point of view of supporters......

The spin will now be cranked up a few more gears....and as stated the hope for impartiality is now gone.

Classic tactics of Smith and MWJ.

If Cam was on here now he''d have a field day, we know how he feels about Archant [:)]

Sort of explains why that person couldn''t get their letter published a couple of weeks ago!  I can''t see a director of the club allowing his own company to openly criticise his other interest....

[quote user="Blue"]Sort of explains why that person couldn''t get their letter published a couple of weeks ago!  I can''t see a director of the club allowing his own company to openly criticise his other interest....[/quote]

No it doesn''t. The MD doesn''t do the letters page in the newspaper.

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]

[quote user="Blue"]Sort of explains why that person couldn''t get their letter published a couple of weeks ago!  I can''t see a director of the club allowing his own company to openly criticise his other interest....[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m sure the MD will have influence over the direction the company takes.  I''m sure the editor would be given guidelines.....

[quote user="Blue"][quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]

[/quote]

I''m sure the MD will have influence over the direction the company takes.  I''m sure the editor would be given guidelines.....

[/quote]

Or the edititor puts 2 and 2 together and makes eithier 4 or 5 depending on you viewpoint and realises that a letter would affect his boss in a potentially adverse way...

[quote user="The Walking Man walking to Yeovil"][quote user="Blue"][quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Or the edititor puts 2 and 2 together and makes eithier 4 or 5 depending on you viewpoint and realises that a letter would affect his boss in a potentially adverse way...

[/quote]

I think we should lay off Pete here a bit.....

It isn''t his doing and he cannot be anything other than impartial on here.

I hate to sound like a sniveller... but I will only ever attack those who can then equally attack me back. Pete can''t do that can he?

[quote user="Cluck is God"]

I hate to sound like a sniveller... But I am snivelling, so can''t avoid it.

[/quote]

I’m sure that “The Suffolks”  will have been fully aware of the potential for the sort of comments that have already appeared on this board. Stephan Phillips will not have applied for the role, he will have been invited to join the board. To what purpose? To add his business competence to the board? As far as my knowledge of Stephan goes he started at Archant in a sales role and has risen through that route over several years, so his experience isn’t what one could call “broad based”. Was there really no one more suited or experienced? Given that the answer is obviously a big YES then one has to ask what other possible motives could they have for inviting him? They have a history of making unpopular and controversial decisions and battening down the hatches to ride out the storm. If they do the same this time they have the local media’s employees in an impossible position. Any commentary that could be detrimental to “The Suffolks” would be like Turkeys voting for Christmas. Don’t believe me? – Who thinks the EDP would have run with the whole Peter Cullum Saga if their MD was on the board of the organisation under attack? Kinda puts it into perspective I think.

[quote user="SNAP"]

I’m sure that “The Suffolks”  will have been fully aware of the potential for the sort of comments that have already appeared on this board. Stephan Phillips will not have applied for the role, he will have been invited to join the board. To what purpose? To add his business competence to the board? As far as my knowledge of Stephan goes he started at Archant in a sales role and has risen through that route over several years, so his experience isn’t what one could call “broad based”. Was there really no one more suited or experienced? Given that the answer is obviously a big YES then one has to ask what other possible motives could they have for inviting him? They have a history of making unpopular and controversial decisions and battening down the hatches to ride out the storm. If they do the same this time they have the local media’s employees in an impossible position. Any commentary that could be detrimental to “The Suffolks” would be like Turkeys voting for Christmas. Don’t believe me? – Who thinks the EDP would have run with the whole Peter Cullum Saga if their MD was on the board of the organisation under attack? Kinda puts it into perspective I think.

[/quote]

A very very cynical move by the usual suspects. I thought we were Norwich City not the Stazi or the KGB, still hurrah for the freedom of the press. Ps if no one hears from me after this post please get the authoities to dredge the wensum / leeds liverpool canal, I`m likely to be in their wearing concrete boots!!![:|][:|][:|]

No but a quiet word in the ear of those that do will do wonders.[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]

[/quote]

Absolutely right.  Regardless of what you believe about Cullumgate, we would NEVER have had that can of wormed opened by the EDP now.They had better have a good start to the season because direct action could be the only voice the fans have left, especially after the "associations" have proved to be absolutely useless.[quote user="SNAP"]

[/quote]

Nice to see the PinkUn forum isn''t jumping the gun or imagining worst case scenarios already. Oh wait....

Oh come on Pete.  Answer this question with a yes or no.Would the front page and inside pages special breaking the Cullum news (you know the one) happen if the news broke tommorrow?

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]Nice to see the PinkUn forum isn''t jumping the gun or imagining worst case scenarios already. Oh wait....[/quote]

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]Nice to see the PinkUn forum isn''t jumping the gun or imagining worst case scenarios already. Oh wait....[/quote]Lol great sarcasm Pete! I think a few people here need a few home truths about how the newspaper industry really works...

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]Nice to see the PinkUn forum isn''t jumping the gun or imagining worst case scenarios already. Oh wait....[/quote]

Some do moan for moaning''s sake. 

Going off history though, can you honestly blame people for imagining the worst?  The majority of the cynicism, anger and generally being suspicious of the board is completely justified.  The board have continually dished out spin, told half truths, and failed to deliver on promises.  Until they start to change through their actions and deliver on their promises then such thoughts and feelings are completely justified IMHO.[:)]

[quote user="cityangel"]If Cam was on here now he''d have a field day, we know how he feels about Archant [:)][/quote]

I share those concernns too Angel.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="cityangel"]If Cam was on here now he''d have a field day, we know how he feels about Archant [:)][/quote]

I share those concernns too Angel.

[/quote]

What that Cam would have a field day or his hatred of Archant? [:)]

Are you saying that actual "worst case scenarios" have not become the usual norm where Smith''s NCFC is concerned?

I''m afraid it all stinks of reinforcements being brought in to help quell the rebellion. Add up the whole set of laughables from Gunn''s appoitment through to the new "star" signings and this latest farce falls nicely into place.

We now look like a tinpot small town club surrounding itself with local bigtime Charlies in order to hold on to power.

The club will now slowly disintegrate.....

I don''t buy the line that the Cullum story wouldn''t appear because the newspaper MD is on the board. He''s in the business of selling newspapers and stories like that do wonders for sales. However, I''d imagine it would get a more cautious, less cavalier treatment but would still be on the front page. I''m sure anti-board letters would also appear because papers don''t want to lose touch with their readers. Both papers have always been soft with their anti-board coverage in the past anyway, because realistically their wasn''t big investors on the horizon, so I don''t think this will make a major difference - unless Gunn''s season quickly goes downhill.

I''m not clear what talents Stephan Philips has for this job. His advertising/marketing experience may be useful - but I''m sure he will do all he can to get the club out of League 1, because if the club stays there and the occasional fans drift away, it will have a knock-on effect with his newspaper sales.

You could also turn this on its head - rather than saying he will silence the board, he could take readers'' criticisms direct to the boardroom and it may improve communication from the boardroom to the outside world???

whats that you`re towing Pete? Oh it appears to be the party line!!![;)]

Pete                                           Pete`s boss (new board member perhaps)

Only joking Pete but you`ve gotta to see the irony of it all!!!