Sign in to follow this  
ca

NCISA express fears over new board appointments

Although I agree with some/most of what they have to say, I do get a bit sick of the NCISA and their statements. Has this group ever managed to change anything yet? Or are they just a load of voices that are constantly ignored/not heard?

Oh dear NCISA, they''ve really gone and embarassed themselves this time. Roger Munby and Neil Doncaster exit, who let''s face weren''t very good. In come Bowkett, Phillips and McNally. Who would you rather have? Ex club secretary being CE or ex Fulham and Celtic managing director who was also reportedly being courted by Arsenal as CE? For me it''s a no brainer, McNally wins hands down. Next would you rather have Roger Munby, who is merely the managing director of a small market research company or Alan Bowkett who has an excellent track record of rescuing and turning round some of the biggest companies in this country, similarly this appointment addresses the criticizm that te board were to cosy with each other, Bowkett has previously been very critical of the board. Finally we come to Stephen Phillips, now I must admit this is the only appointment that I struggle with, not only does it make it an even number on the board I struggle to see what he brings to the table. Yes he is MD of Archant group one of the biggest regional newpaper companies in the country but what else does he bring to the table? I accept what Pete says and that there will be no ''censorship'' of what is writter but the seed of doubt is sown. However at the end of the day would you rather have this board or the previous board? For me it''s not a difficult answer and although the money may not necessarily be there, the business nous and football experience most certainly is.

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[quote user="...."][quote user="LQ"]And when someone comes along who does have it, ...., that''ll be fabulous.Till then I''ll hope this lot can make good with what we do have as opposed to what we have in fairytale land.

[/quote]She wouldnt even speak to you know who...[/quote]

PPOR - that''s "Post Proof or Retract".

[/quote]AAI - That''s "argumentum ad ignorantiam".[/quote]Good logical fallacy there!  Shame it only holds when the burden of proof is not on the side of "...." who has made the positive statement in this case.  If anyone has made it in this case it is "...."

[quote user="gary "]

this backs up my opinion of the NCISA and its hierarchy , they are desperate to be accepted and keen to keep themselves in the media spotlight , this statement reads to me as if they felt they needed to remind people that they are still sround and that Mr Tilson is the main man .

These people are so full of their own self importance it is ludicrous - if they had 10,000 members then they carry weight , as it stands they are insignificant 

[/quote]

Gary I don''t know the circumstances of how the the NCISA comments were obtained but it is possible that the EDP actually approachem them for a comment!

To back up my earlier post, and those of other people, I have now heard the Radio Norfolk interview with Bowkett. Very interesting. Not a mention of Smith and Jones. It is all about himself and McNally. As in:"Hopefully with a little guidance from me and a lot of hard work from David we shall see some results."

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[quote user="...."][quote user="LQ"]And when someone comes along who does have it, ...., that''ll be fabulous.Till then I''ll hope this lot can make good with what we do have as opposed to what we have in fairytale land.

[/quote]She wouldnt even speak to you know who...[/quote]

PPOR - that''s "Post Proof or Retract".

[/quote]AAI - That''s "argumentum ad ignorantiam".[/quote]Good logical fallacy there!  Shame it only holds when the burden of proof is not on the side of "...." who has made the positive statement in this case.  If anyone has made it in this case it is "...."[/quote]I understand what you are saying but believe it applies to both parties because there is no proof that Delia did not meet with Cullum and there also is no proof that she did meet with him. Is something true because it has not been proven false or false because it has not been proven true or neither? Is Mustachio implying that she did meet with him because there exists no evidence to prove that she did not?  [:D]

The three new board members look very promising. Experience at all levels of business and earnt respect from the financial/business world.

One slight word of caution, DS/MWJ still have the casting vote.

It is, in the end, still their club (64%?)

All the advice will amount to very little worth IF they will not act on it.

I for one will await the outcome of these latest moves with a great deal of interest.

Now the business is a football club and in the end it will be judged on "on field" performance. (unless these new directors can play a bit as well).

A team worthy of NCFC needs to be assembled and the right motivation and tactics applied. Over to you MR Gunn!!

what conclusions are you drawing from this then purple.

Delia & Michael to take a back seat? New investment imminent?

Does anyone seriously believe that if the EDP got hold of a BIG story that would seriously damage the club, say for example proof that Cullum offered to buy the club but was turned down, that no pressure would be brought to bear to tone that story down?It is NAIVE in the extreme to believe that a private company''s staff would have "editorial freedom" in such circumstances.

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"][quote user="cityangel"]

Well done NCISA for keeping up the pressure and saying your piece.

[quote] And in appointing the managing director of Archant to the club''s board, will there now be no medium for fans to voice their opinions and no support for fans from local newspapers should things continue to go wrong at Carrow Road?"[/quote]

[/quote]

Stephan Phillips has insisted his role at Carrow Road would not influence what appeared in print or on the company''s websites. "The company has a very clear policy on editorial," he said. "That is that the editors decide what goes in our newspapers and websites and they''re the people who choose the content and decide how it''s going to be portrayed and in that sense they have total editorial freedom.

[/quote]

I am very happy with the new board, but very unhappy with the Archant guy as I cant see what he brings to the party and it creates a massive conflict of interest in a region where ONE company dominates ALL printed and local online media of note.[quote user="LQ"]Get real indeed.In the last month the Club have added a PL quality Chief Exec, a Chairman who has just stepped down from one of the biggest companies in the UK and another Board member who is in charge of a large part of one of the biggest media corporations in the country.We are a League One team in a recession.What more could have been done?Some people won''t be happy until there''s blood (or their own name in the Boardroom - god forbid that should ever happen!)

[/quote]

I don''t get these poster''s saying ''well done for putting pressure on the board'' I''m not being funny but what standing does the NCISA have to think they can put pressure on the board, more than any other fan?

Its almost like a ''Neighbourhood Watch Scheme'' or the old fogey''s you see at the side of the road in small villages with Speed Camera''s, the NCISA are pretending to be much more important and have much more authority than WHAT THEY ACTUALLY HAVE!   

But Archant have been shareholders in NCFC for years so why should this make the relationship more of an issue?

[quote user="Soldier on"]

what conclusions are you drawing from this then purple.

Delia & Michael to take a back seat? New investment imminent?

[/quote]Soldier On, I''m loath to draw firm conclusions just from one interview (talk is one thing, action another etc) but it sounded very much like the Bowkett and McNally Show from now on. And that might well mean S&J moving more into the background. This would be no surprise, given that the club is up for sale anyway.The question of investment is a complicated one, because of the twin aims of minority and majority (ie, a new owner) investment. However the point about Bowkett, unlike some business people who moved into football (who tend to be big fish in small ponds) is that he has had a wide range of experience. Which means lots of interesting contacts in the City and beyond.In short, his appointment (along with that of McNally) will definitely have increased the chances of finding investment.

Do you seriously need an answer to that?Board appointment.

[quote user="LQ"]But Archant have been shareholders in NCFC for years so why should this make the relationship more of an issue?

[/quote]

I just can''t buy into this conspiracy stuff, sorry ACE.People are saying that if there''s a damaging story it''ll get toned down and the like. That doesn''t add up to me for two reasons:1) Archant''s job is to sell newspapers; the juicier the content the better the sales. Stephan Phillips being on the Board of NCFC should not have any influence on editorial unless his integrity is in question.2) There need to be damaging stories in the first place! And much as some on here would like it, there just aren''t those kind of skeletons in the cupboards at NCFC. If there were someone would have got them out and dusted them off by now!

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"][quote user="cityangel"]

Well done NCISA for keeping up the pressure and saying your piece.

[quote]
And in appointing the managing director of Archant to the club''s board, will there now be no medium for fans to voice their opinions and no support for fans from local newspapers should things continue to go wrong at Carrow Road?

"[/quote]

[/quote]

Stephan Phillips has insisted his role at Carrow Road would not influence what appeared in print or on the company''s websites.

"The company has a very clear policy on editorial," he said. "That is that the editors decide what goes in our newspapers and websites and they''re the people who choose the content and decide how it''s going to be portrayed and in that sense they have total editorial freedom.

[/quote]

Well I am quite surpised that this thread has not been pulled already as many other posts saying similar things have... [:$]

I don''t know if I''m right, but putting 2 and 2 together suggests that Phillips has been drafted in to provide marketing nous that was lost when Andrew Cullen left for MK.  The fact is that the fella has come out and said there will be no conflict of interests, so until he is in a position where one might arise, all we can do is take his word for it.  If he''s sensible he will decline to be involved in anything that might cause a conflict, I''m sure this would turn out to be the case if that arose, which as LQ has said, it probably won''t.  We''re talking about Delia Smith here, not Jeffrey Archer or Robert Maxwell...As for the NCISA statement, it did appear to be saying something for the need of saying something.  Whether this statement was driven as a result of fan pressure in July, when only 2 people chose to find Pete in the EDP tent at the Norfolk Show to voice their opinion, is an interesting question.

[quote user="Mr_Chimp"]So?  What do they want - a full breakdown of any new investment laid out for us all (or more likely, them) to see, just as the transfer window opens?

Lord knows I''ve been just as fuming with developments at CR last season/this summer, but this smacks of the NCISA trying to remind everybody that they''re still relevant after their failure earlier in the close season.

''time will be the judge as to whether these appointments are good or bad''

Apparently not.
[/quote]

Alternatively we can let every half decent player who could be a target if we had any ambition and their agents think do not talk to NCFC as they have no money and ZERO AMBITION.

Please do not fall for that line of club spin that is now as well worn as anything else that comes out of Carrow Road.... [:$]

[quote]Alternatively we can let every half decent

player who could be a target if we had any ambition and their agents

think do not talk to NCFC as they have no money and ZERO AMBITION.[/quote]Ooh, ''ark at Mr Shouty over there.  If you do that with agents, they just raise their fees.  If they do that, you end up getting fewer players for your money.  Counter-productive, no ?

[quote user="LQ"]Were those two people from NCISA, blah?

[/quote]Don''t know I''m afraid, I got that snippet from Petes'' twitter page.

[quote user="LQ"]Get real indeed.

In the last month the Club have added a PL quality Chief Exec, a Chairman who has just stepped down from one of the biggest companies in the UK and another Board member who is in charge of a large part of one of the biggest media corporations in the country.

We are a League One team in a recession.

What more could have been done?

Some people won''t be happy until there''s blood (or their own name in the Boardroom - god forbid that should ever happen!)

[/quote]

Well we could of got shot of Delia and so called supporters like you a hell of a lot sooner... [;)]

A pointless press release.

As a member now of NISCA when can we sweep out the current elected & replace with fresh faces, as like the old City Board this current lot too stagnant & ineffective

[quote user="chicken"]The thing to remember here is  that for them to be board members I am guessing they have to have shares.

In some ways it makes sense to me to give shares to the chief executive as he is one of the people who is directly responsible for the financial buisiness performance of the club. If he does well then the shares increase in price - surely a good enough incentive for any good buisiness person.

The interesting thing with the Archant chappy is not the small time stories people are talking about. I doubt he will be bothered to dip his fingers into player signing news or fresh investment when it isnt.

However what is slightly worrying is that should the board want to know how to approach the media with difficult news he is ready on hand to help them - at least with the local media and I am sure he has contacts within the industry.

What the club needs at the moment is honesty.
[/quote]

hahaha that will be the day... [:$] [:D]

[quote user="ncfcstar"]Well done NCISA, you''ve now lost a lot of credibility, it is clear that these new board members will bring what we need in business sense.  Maybe they do not have money, but I''ve got to agree with LQ over this.  A very silly statement.
[/quote]

In so called fans like yours eyes?   Who cares about that?

You will be prepared to sit there and do nothing while Delia makes us a Div 4 club in administration looking over our shoulders at non-league football.

You are an embarrassment... [:$]

[quote user="taintedtom2000"]

What really gets on my t*ts about NCISA is the fact that their stance is always weakened by their desperation not to be controversial. I always get left with the feeling that their opinions should have started:-

"OOOOOhhhhh Delia, please don''t hate us but were not really sure we agree with you....."

and should end

"Please don''t hate us!"

I''m not disagreeing with what their saying most of the time, I just wish that they would have a bit more bloody conviction about it, then maybe someone might sit up and take notice!

[/quote]

Spot on taintedtom... [Y]

I have said many times that they need to take a vote on a course of action and act on it.

No apologies to the club and the bottom lickers like LQ who post on forums such as these.

NCISA are there to act upon what their members vote upon and the decisions of the NCISA committee members.

They need to distance themselves from trying to make all parties happy and be hard nosed acting in the ways that they believe are best for the future of NCFC.

Why the over apologetic nature of each of their press releases?  The club deserves every criticsim it is getting right now ten fold.

[quote user="LQ"][quote user="GMF"]To suggest that the Board is in some way being defended completely misses the point. How many corporates do NOT have the CEO on the Board? Very few I would sugggest. John suggests that this was previously a mistake and the same has happened again. Is he seriously suggesting that the NCFC should be made up completely of non exectuive directors?[/quote]

That''s what you get from people who ''think'' they know how business works though.

[/quote]

Oh and there was me thinking we had got exactly what we deserved for letting women get too involved in football at Carrow Road??? [:^)]

[quote user="LQ"]Get real indeed.

In the last month the Club have added a PL quality Chief Exec, a Chairman who has just stepped down from one of the biggest companies in the UK and another Board member who is in charge of a large part of one of the biggest media corporations in the country.

We are a League One team in a recession.

What more could have been done?

Some people won''t be happy until there''s blood (or their own name in the Boardroom - god forbid that should ever happen!)

[/quote]

Where''s the money come from - to fund these folk?

[quote]NCISA are there to act upon what their members vote upon and the decisions of the NCISA committee members.[/quote]So who voted for this press release ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]Alternatively we can let every half decent player who could be a target if we had any ambition and their agents think do not talk to NCFC as they have no money and ZERO AMBITION.[/quote]

Ooh, ''ark at Mr Shouty over there.  If you do that with agents, they just raise their fees.  If they do that, you end up getting fewer players for your money.  Counter-productive, no ?

[/quote]

Well we don''t have to worry about that do we?

As I have said any half decent player or their agents will not step foot within 50 miles of Carrow Road unless they are coming to speak to the manager of a visiting team here.