Sign in to follow this  
spark65

Bowkett

He gave notice back in March when the Wolves owner bought back into Redrowhttp://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/construction_and_property/article5945833.ece

[quote user="spark65"]He gave notice back in March when the Wolves owner bought back into Redrowhttp://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/construction_and_property/article5945833.ece[/quote]

Not sure what you are trying to suggest?

Steve Morgan and Alan Bowkett are VERY good friends............. Alan even mentioned in his CW interview he had dinner with him last week.

He also mentioned that Steve Morgan told him that last year Wolves spent only 9.5 million on their player budget compared to our 8.5 million.

My Bowkett''s point (which most of us agree with) is that its not always the amount but how you spend it.

He said obviously we had done a poor job in the past and he along with the new CE and board members would try and put that right in the future.

Not really trying to suggest any thing. I was just wondering if he left Redrow with out knowing where he was going next or had he been approached back in March. i think its a good appointment of a man who knows business inside out.

[quote user="spark65"]Not really trying to suggest any thing. I was just wondering if he left Redrow with out knowing where he was going next or had he been approached back in March. i think its a good appointment of a man who knows business inside out.[/quote]

No, Not according to his CW interview.

He actually stated that "if you would have told him 1 month ago that he would be Chairman of Norwich he would have said you were crazy"

It was a big surprise mainly because he had been pretty vocal against the way the club was being run, even as late as May.........(the directors group press release can be found by searching)

There are many haters who would love to claim that he was "hand picked" to be Delia''s toadie.................. Its just 100% not true. Complete opposite.

The guy has shown in the past he is an independent thinker.

He stated in the CW interview that he backs Gunn 100% but also stated.........Football is a results game!

Sound like he won''t shirk from any tough decisions...........

Most of us have reservations about Gunn''s ability to manage. I personally hope Bryan succeeds and proves us wrong.

I know the haters will not like this but I think you acutally have to give a little credit to Delia/MWJ here........

They could have picked a "YES man" but its obvious even they have admitted they are naive and had totally run out of ideas.

They know we needed new blood and new direction. We also needed people like Mr Foulger to take a bigger role.

The new board has more business/football/media experience than it has had in a long time. Apart from the CE the board are all huge fans of the club.

Will it pay off? Who knows?

I hope it does. I want good things to happen to the club. I dont want to be a sad hater who celebrates failure. 

Maybe if we turn things around on the pitch we will be able to attract more outside investment.

On a personal Note........ Winning is great but often the biggest thrill I ever got watching Norwich since the early 70''s was when our backs were against the wall

We were pressing for the equalizer/winner and the crowd was getting behind the team with OTBC......... it still sends a shiver down my spine thinking about it.

Well.......... our backs are against the wall........ do we leave early......... or do we sing OTBC at the top of our lungs willing on the club we love to pull it around?

OTBC.

I don''t think he will take any poo of any of the board and will work closely with the CE a lot. I also think that he will pump some money into the club, albeit a small amount say a million. I don''t think Delia and MWJ would dare hoodwink him or try and mess him around, you don''t get to where he was in business by being nice and maybe that was the problem the board had before, too nice.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]I don''t think he will take any poo of any of the board and will work closely with the CE a lot. I also think that he will pump some money into the club, albeit a small amount say a million. I don''t think Delia and MWJ would dare hoodwink him or try and mess him around, you don''t get to where he was in business by being nice and maybe that was the problem the board had before, too nice.[/quote]

I will try and be nice but frankly I don''t think Delia/MWJ are smart enough.

People try and portray Delia as Darth Vader with some underlying evil plan but frankly she is just a passionate fan who through her TV fame/money is probably in a bit over her head.

Thats fine as long as you have a good mix of people around you giving you good leadership/advice.

I think we now have that for the first time in a while.

I agree mate, I have never once thought that D and MWJ would want anything other than success, but like you say they just don''t have a clue. Thats why I hpe that the newbies show them the way forward.

USA Canary I agree 100% with your assessment.

I have never been a supporter of Delia although disappointed that MWJ didn''t take a firmer control over the running of the club after the early days of hope. It was almost as if one day he decided to hand it all over to her. If that was the case it was a bad move!

I am very impressed with the latest appointments and an air of professionalism is within the club at last.

I hope my positive mind set will not be destroyed once again!!

[quote user="USAcanary"]

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]I don''t think he will take any poo of any of the board and will work closely with the CE a lot. I also think that he will pump some money into the club, albeit a small amount say a million. I don''t think Delia and MWJ would dare hoodwink him or try and mess him around, you don''t get to where he was in business by being nice and maybe that was the problem the board had before, too nice.[/quote]

I will try and be nice but frankly I don''t think Delia/MWJ are smart enough.

People try and portray Delia as Darth Vader with some underlying evil plan but frankly she is just a passionate fan who through her TV fame/money is probably in a bit over her head.

Thats fine as long as you have a good mix of people around you giving you good leadership/advice.

I think we now have that for the first time in a while.

[/quote]

Don''t often agree with your comments USA but you have identified it pretty much spot on I think.

The Cook has''nt a clue, never has and never will. She said as much in her Radio Norfolk interview way back in 1996 when she came on the Board. Problem is that power and ego went to her head and she embarked (with Bob Cooper) on the appalling decisions starting in April / May 1998. The Premiership season was a disaster not due to lack of money spent but becuase of the total lack of leadership from the top, with the emphasis being on this .....''one long lovely holiday''  That attitude spread throughout the club culminating in the Craven Cottage murder yet to listen to the Board just after that season ended you would have thought we''d won the FA Cup, Champions League, Wimblledon and the Boat Race all rolled into one!

IF (and I think it''s still a damn big IF), she has finally accepted she must take a back seat then we MAY just MAY stand a fighting chance of rebuilding. Thing is she has had a serious role in almost destroying the club and should have shown the decency to resign from the Board.

Lets not hype the ''new'' Board up too much. we had all this stuff with The Turners two years ago. ''They were hard headed business people, Smith was going to hand over'', etc. etc. LOOK WHAT HAPPENED!  

[quote user="USAcanary"]

[quote user="spark65"]He gave notice back in March when the Wolves owner bought back into Redrowhttp://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/construction_and_property/article5945833.ece[/quote]

Not sure what you are trying to suggest?

Steve Morgan and Alan Bowkett are VERY good friends............. Alan even mentioned in his CW interview he had dinner with him last week.

He also mentioned that Steve Morgan told him that last year Wolves spent only 9.5 million on their player budget compared to our 8.5 million.

My Bowkett''s point (which most of us agree with) is that its not always the amount but how you spend it.

He said obviously we had done a poor job in the past and he along with the new CE and board members would try and put that right in the future.

[/quote]

Steve Morgan is also very good friends with Delia and MWJ......It featured on her last TV Cookery series on BBC 2. Are we now going to follow the Wolves model? 

[quote user="USAcanary"]

[quote user="spark65"]Not really trying to suggest any thing. I was just wondering if he left Redrow with out knowing where he was going next or had he been approached back in March. i think its a good appointment of a man who knows business inside out.[/quote]

No, Not according to his CW interview.

He actually stated that "if you would have told him 1 month ago that he would be Chairman of Norwich he would have said you were crazy"

It was a big surprise mainly because he had been pretty vocal against the way the club was being run, even as late as May.........(the directors group press release can be found by searching)

There are many haters who would love to claim that he was "hand picked" to be Delia''s toadie.................. Its just 100% not true. Complete opposite.

The guy has shown in the past he is an independent thinker.

He stated in the CW interview that he backs Gunn 100% but also stated.........Football is a results game!

Sound like he won''t shirk from any tough decisions...........

Most of us have reservations about Gunn''s ability to manage. I personally hope Bryan succeeds and proves us wrong.

I know the haters will not like this but I think you acutally have to give a little credit to Delia/MWJ here........

They could have picked a "YES man" but its obvious even they have admitted they are naive and had totally run out of ideas.

They know we needed new blood and new direction. We also needed people like Mr Foulger to take a bigger role.

The new board has more business/football/media experience than it has had in a long time. Apart from the CE the board are all huge fans of the club.

Will it pay off? Who knows?

I hope it does. I want good things to happen to the club. I dont want to be a sad hater who celebrates failure. 

Maybe if we turn things around on the pitch we will be able to attract more outside investment.

On a personal Note........ Winning is great but often the biggest thrill I ever got watching Norwich since the early 70''s was when our backs were against the wall

We were pressing for the equalizer/winner and the crowd was getting behind the team with OTBC......... it still sends a shiver down my spine thinking about it.

Well.......... our backs are against the wall........ do we leave early......... or do we sing OTBC at the top of our lungs willing on the club we love to pull it around?

OTBC.

[/quote]

I actually agree with almost everything you say here, but it is the "haters" (i only think that silly label can be applied to a handful of posters) who have been flagging up the need for change for years now.  Some people even rounded on Bowkett after the Trust letter and now he`s on the board! 

Of course it`s good that changes have at last been made, but it should have happened years ago- and may well have done if the dissenters were not shouted down by those misguided people who believed that rocking the boat could only have a negative outcome.

To quote Delia "Time to move on and bring in expertise we desperately needed".  If they have only just realised that (or IMO been honest enough to admit it to themselves...) then they are 100% culpable for the damage already done to the club by not acting sooner.