Sign in to follow this  
Man-E-Faces

Graeme Murty

I see Graeme Murty is training with Southampton. I am suprised we''re not in for him. Think he would be a great acquisition and give some much needed competition to Mr Otsemobor.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11700_5413739,00.html

I have a feeling that we will see Spillane as an attacking full back, which suits me fine, he is one of those players that just doesnt get it wrong very often and is Norwich through and through.

If not signing a right back means Spillane will play ahead of Otsemober then fine. If not signing a new right back means playing Otsemober week in week out, then thats just a mighty shame!

I still think we''ll see Semmy at right back. I think they''ll stick with him because he''s experienced and obviously everyone hopes one day he''ll put his pace to good use.

Not convinced Spillane has that much to offer going forward. Be surprised if he becomes more than some kind of defensive utility player.

Quote "I see Graeme Murty is training with Southampton. I am suprised we''re not in for him. Think he would be a great acquisition and give some much needed competition to Mr Otsemobor. http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11700_5413739,00.html"

I was going to post on exactly this issue today, surely we''d be a far more attractive prospect that Saints? At least we are likely to still be relatively solvent and in the league at the beginning of the season. I would be pleased if we signed him, however I''d rather we signed a promising younger player with more pace, Murty looks like a decent defensive right back but never thought he offered very much going forward, ideally we want someone who can do both jobs, very rare at our current level. At least a fast young player could develop his defensive skills over time whereas an older player like Murty is unlikely to be able to change his style at this stage in his career. Also as he''s coming from a recently premier league club still with parachute payments he''s likely to be on wages way above what we could afford.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Spillane as an attacking full back? he''s a centre back without a huge amount of pace[/quote]

He played half of his games for Luton as an attacking full back, this came from a press quote by the man himself.

He was second in the Luton player of the season awards last season, and first in the young supporters awards. His performances last year won him a number of Ireland Under 21 caps.

Having played as many games in his senior football career at right back as he has centre back, who are you to decide what position he plays? As it happens he said himself that he considers himself primarily a centre back but was comfortable at right back. The argument is not whether he is better at centre back or right back, the argument is whether it is better for us to have him at right back or centre back.

Putting Spillane above Stefanovic and Doherty in my opinion is not an option. Playing him ahead of that passionless lazy liabilty Otsemober sounds like a perfectly valid idea to me.

My understanding was that he had played at right back for Luton but that there was no mention of him doing so in an attacking capacity, however I may be wrong on that one.

I think we still need a pair of young full backs who can cross a ball and track back. I have no opinion on Spillane''s ability at right back as I haven''t seen much of him playing, but as he is also a central defender I would assume that he is more of a defensive minded player and that he doesn''t have the pace normally required of an attacking right back.

[quote user="Brian Gunns Dermatologist"]

My understanding was that he had played at right back for Luton but that there was no mention of him doing so in an attacking capacity, however I may be wrong on that one.

I think we still need a pair of young full backs who can cross a ball and track back. I have no opinion on Spillane''s ability at right back as I haven''t seen much of him playing, but as he is also a central defender I would assume that he is more of a defensive minded player and that he doesn''t have the pace normally required of an attacking right back.

[/quote]

The difference between an attacking full back and a ''full back'' is very very simple. An attacking full back has the license to get ahead of the right winger, and a ''full back'' doesnt. They are quite essentially the same thing.

A good example of an attacking full back is Steen Nedergaard, who often overlapped the winger and put in a decent cross. He was a very defensive player, who happened to be able to cross. An example of a full back that has very rarely been used as an attacking full back is Adam Drury who was very rarely used in this capacity because of the non-defensive qualities of Huckerby. Otsemober would (generally ineffectively) have license to go forward because Crofty wasnt too bad at dropping deeper and defending, whereas Huckerby didnt do this.

All Spillane needs to be an attacking full back is a decent passing ability (he has) and a decent crossing ability (which he has). He doesnt need to have the out and out qualities of a winger. Its going to depend on what kind of right winger we get. If you watch Chelsea play, Ashley Cole is probably one of the best examples of an attacking full back at the moment in the premiership, but he has been able to get forward a lot more without Joe Cole. If a full back is given license to overlap the winger then they are an attacking full back, if they are required to stay deep and behind the winger then they are not. 

It is very rare to play two attacking full backs, but also very rare to play none. If Drury is our left back next year then the right back will have to be able to get forward. Otsemober can do this, but unfortunately cannot defend too well. In the promotion season we had a really effective system whereas Nedergaard and Drury would alternate between being the attacking full back, whilst the other would cover the centre backs. This was in Huckerbys days of playing up front / free role. This system was lost in the premiership after Huckerbys move to the left.

What we need is a Steen Nedergaard, he wasnt that quick, wasnt that skillfull but never let us down and could cross the ball perfectly.  Spillane looks more capable of doing that then Otsemober to me.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="Brian Gunns Dermatologist"]

[/quote]

The difference between an attacking full back and a ''full back'' is very very simple. An attacking full back has the license to get ahead of the right winger, and a ''full back'' doesnt. They are quite essentially the same thing.

A good example of an attacking full back is Steen Nedergaard, who often overlapped the winger and put in a decent cross. He was a very defensive player, who happened to be able to cross. An example of a full back that has very rarely been used as an attacking full back is Adam Drury who was very rarely used in this capacity because of the non-defensive qualities of Huckerby. Otsemober would (generally ineffectively) have license to go forward because Crofty wasnt too bad at dropping deeper and defending, whereas Huckerby didnt do this.

All Spillane needs to be an attacking full back is a decent passing ability (he has) and a decent crossing ability (which he has). He doesnt need to have the out and out qualities of a winger. Its going to depend on what kind of right winger we get. If you watch Chelsea play, Ashley Cole is probably one of the best examples of an attacking full back at the moment in the premiership, but he has been able to get forward a lot more without Joe Cole. If a full back is given license to overlap the winger then they are an attacking full back, if they are required to stay deep and behind the winger then they are not. 

It is very rare to play two attacking full backs, but also very rare to play none. If Drury is our left back next year then the right back will have to be able to get forward. Otsemober can do this, but unfortunately cannot defend too well. In the promotion season we had a really effective system whereas Nedergaard and Drury would alternate between being the attacking full back, whilst the other would cover the centre backs. This was in Huckerbys days of playing up front / free role. This system was lost in the premiership after Huckerbys move to the left.

What we need is a Steen Nedergaard, he wasnt that quick, wasnt that skillfull but never let us down and could cross the ball perfectly.  Spillane looks more capable of doing that then Otsemober to me.

[/quote]

Just realised that this wasnt the promotion season, this was the play off season and the year before promotion. But the same applies, Drury stopped attacking because of Huckerby.

If it got Semmy outta here then I''d be all for it. Releasing him will be costly though seeing as no-one would want him

This is clearly a location issue, especially as he is coming towards the end of his career.  Southampton is a lot closer to Reading than Norwich is.  He would be a great signing, but we have not got a chance if Southampton get through their troubles.

Spillane was highly rated here (Luton) as a right-back, I fear Otsemobor will play but Spillane is definitely worth a go.