Sign in to follow this  
Yellowfuture

Good Player "AT THIS LEVEL"

"AT THIS LEVEL" is a phrase we hear regularly by sports pundits, often it`s a phrase that`s used to fill a gap in an innane drivel of cliche comment.It`s cropping up more and more on this board eg "Drury will  be a good  left back at this level"  "Patty will  be a  quality player at this level"   OK we are moving down a League but the assumption that players who have been average at best in the  Championship will  all of a sudden become  more effective in Division 3 I would challenge. Look at our record  against lower division sides, we have often found it harder against them than top  Championship teams. Players may get a  bit more time on the  ball, but would  that be an advantage for the like of John O for example who  as soon has he has time to think about something freezes. Yes it  may be a lower division but I think it`s a false assumption to believe our players will automatically be more effective.   

i was the one who said the comment about drury... and that''s based on that i think he is a decent player. just my opinion but when he is fit i think he is pretty good. not brilliant by any means but pretty good.

Drury has been a good left back at div 3 level and hopefully if he can stay fit will show his class. You make a good point however, our relegation occurred because we had a group of players who collectively and in far too many cases individually were not good enough for the championship. I agree that a lot will not be good enough at this or any other level and we are wrong to assume that simply becuase a player has been at a championship club then they will suddenyl look a class above the rest when they drop down a league. Having said that I believe there are a number of players who have enough quality to do very well "at this level", Semmy could be one of them (maybe not that likely) as once again he has performed well in this league in the past, Hoolahan will hopefully be another.  I remain unconvicned about fatty patty, even if he does have the quality his recent actions have shown a lack of judgement and pretty poor self control so is he really someone who we want at the club anyway???

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]"AT THIS LEVEL" is a phrase we hear regularly by sports pundits, often it`s a phrase that`s used to fill a gap in an innane drivel of cliche comment.It`s cropping up more and more on this board eg "Drury will  be a good  left back at this level"  "Patty will  be a  quality player at this level"   OK we are moving down a League but the assumption that players who have been average at best in the  Championship will  all of a sudden become  more effective in Division 3 I would challenge. Look at our record  against lower division sides, we have often found it harder against them than top  Championship teams. Players may get a  bit more time on the  ball, but would  that be an advantage for the like of John O for example who  as soon has he has time to think about something freezes. Yes it  may be a lower division but I think it`s a false assumption to believe our players will automatically be more effective.   [/quote]

agree,just hope the players i.e doc,cody mac etc dont think the same way as some fans and think its going to be a walk in the park,its not just look at Leeds.

[quote user="timncfc"]

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]"AT THIS LEVEL" is a phrase we hear regularly by sports pundits, often it`s a phrase that`s used to fill a gap in an innane drivel of cliche comment.It`s cropping up more and more on this board eg "Drury will  be a good  left back at this level"  "Patty will  be a  quality player at this level"   OK we are moving down a League but the assumption that players who have been average at best in the  Championship will  all of a sudden become  more effective in Division 3 I would challenge. Look at our record  against lower division sides, we have often found it harder against them than top  Championship teams. Players may get a  bit more time on the  ball, but would  that be an advantage for the like of John O for example who  as soon has he has time to think about something freezes. Yes it  may be a lower division but I think it`s a false assumption to believe our players will automatically be more effective.   [/quote]

agree,just hope the players i.e doc,cody mac etc dont think the same way as some fans and think its going to be a walk in the park,its not just look at Leeds.

[/quote]

Yes, remembering also that Leeds had a striker scoring for fun and couldn''t get promoted.

Good points being made here, but I think the expression at this level refers to the quality of opposing players in League 1. The same type of performance against Championship opposition becomes more effective against less skillfull players (beating the full-back say, or losing a marker in the penalty area). It doesn''t guarantee success, as Leeds have found to their cost, but it may enable ordinary players to be more effective.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]

Good points being made here, but I think the expression at this level refers to the quality of opposing players in League 1. The same type of performance against Championship opposition becomes more effective against less skillfull players (beating the full-back say, or losing a marker in the penalty area). It doesn''t guarantee success, as Leeds have found to their cost, but it may enable ordinary players to be more effective.

[/quote]

Will  players in League 1 be less skillfull than ours?