Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

Adrian Forbes......

I was thinking about him today, so much promise..... so little achieved. I then had a dream that we signed him back with Paul McVeigh.

Anyway, he is set to join Grimbsy tomorrow from Millwall. He scored an amazing overhead kick for Grimsby on loan last year.

Thankfully my dream doesnt look like coming true!

For those that are interested in the fortunes of the Forbes family, Adrian''s younger brother, Kieron is on trial at Northampton Town. He also plays as a right winger.

Ade forbes was great! he scored  2 stunning goals for us!

one was new years day 2000 against Blackburn where he ran from the half way line, skipped 2 tackles (one of which was from a certain Martin Taylor) and flicked it over the on rushing tim Flowers and into the bottom corner...

the other was a bicycle kick bs Birmingham! same season i think.. in front of the Barclay too!

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

one was new years day 2000 against Blackburn where he ran from the half way line, skipped 2 tackles (one of which was from a certain Martin Taylor) and flicked it over the on rushing tim Flowers and into the bottom corner...

the other was a bicycle kick bs Birmingham! same season i think.. in front of the Barclay too!

[/quote]

He had a lot of promise and a lot of ability, and worked hard. The perfect formula for a great player, if only he had any consistency...... he was one of the most inconsistant players we have had at Carrow Road IMO. The best player on the pitch one game, a complete liability the next....

I remember that goal though!  Forbesy had his chances, but I feel that if releasing him was a mistake he would have made it back into the championship...... he was a lower league player really.

Very likeable bloke though, I can remember when he used to get wound up when people sang ''Ruel, Ruel, Ruel''.....

I was just thinking about all the youngsters that came through around 96/97 from the same u18''s side.

Darren Kenton

Che Wilson

Adrian Forbes

Chris Llewellyn

Craig Bellamy

Adrian Coote

Drewe Broughton

all made their first team debuts within a few months of 1 another, could be similar this coming season, strange how their respective careers turned out. We all knew Bellamy would make it at the top level, whilst most of the others only made it in the lower leagues

[quote user="yossarian"]darren kenton.........about a foot away from being our greatest ever centre half[/quote]

I would have him back now as a right back!

He is playing in the USA now for ''Rochester Rhinos'' in the league below the MLS. My missus lived their for a year recently, so I spent a couple of months out there, a decent city is Rochester.

Strange one that, as Martin Allen offered him a two year deal at Cheltenham....... maybe he has just had enough of football. Steve Guppy was playing for them last year.

His three years as a Southampton reserve made him a multi millionaire though, so doubt he needed the money!

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]I was just thinking about all the youngsters that came through around 96/97 from the same u18''s side. Darren Kenton Che Wilson Adrian Forbes Chris Llewellyn Craig Bellamy Adrian Coote Drewe Broughton all made their first team debuts within a few months of 1 another, could be similar this coming season, strange how their respective careers turned out. We all knew Bellamy would make it at the top level, whilst most of the others only made it in the lower leagues[/quote]

I met Adrian Coote on holiday in Florida when he was playing for Colchester. He was smoking like a trooper, and out on the beer every day. It''s amazing how he didn''t make it.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]I also recall a spectacular flying header away at Watford, to open the scoring. We then folded and lost 4-1 I think. A tidy and effective player - provided the opposition weren''t too clever.

I remember him being labelled the next Ruel...if only!

Talking of, did anyone see him on sky sports ''where are they now?'' (think that''s what it''s called?)

He''s a fitness trainer now, think i''d still be star struck if he was my trainer, what a legend!

Don''t know what happened to his Pub he was running down near the dump?!

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[quote user="yossarian"]darren kenton.........about a foot away from being our greatest ever centre half[/quote]

I would have him back now as a right back!

He is playing in the USA now for ''Rochester Rhinos'' in the league below the MLS. My missus lived their for a year recently, so I spent a couple of months out there, a decent city is Rochester.

Strange one that, as Martin Allen offered him a two year deal at Cheltenham....... maybe he has just had enough of football. Steve Guppy was playing for them last year.

His three years as a Southampton reserve made him a multi millionaire though, so doubt he needed the money!

[/quote]Yeah I''d have him back too. In his pomp he would nail Semmy and now could probably still cope.

agreed! if anyone failed to hit the potential its Darren.... as the saying goes "he coulda been a contender!" so much promise and potential and just never lived up to it.. he really could of gone to the very top and played for England im sure.. such a shame.. i Liked Darren when he played for us...

i can remember matt "tosser" Jackson completely demoralising him after every single mistake he made in games.. rather than try encouraging.. its no suprise that Darren played to his best when he was alongside Malky....

Chris Llewelyn was dreadful wasn''t he? He would never tackle anyone but just sort of run along side them for 30 yards until they passed it to someone else.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]

My missus lived their for a year recently, so I spent a couple of months out there, a decent city is Rochester.

[/quote]Kodak?

I will never forget seeing Hamilton shouting at Malky to get the ball to Llewellyn, when he was about 70 yards away behind the entire opposition team....

[quote user="BA"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

My missus lived their for a year recently, so I spent a couple of months out there, a decent city is Rochester.

[/quote]

Kodak?
[/quote]

Nope...... she worked in a British pub restaurant called The Old Toad, the longest surviving pub in Rochester (and thats only about 15 years!)...... it is staffed completely by British students on their placement years,

The centre of the town is a depressing place, full of once great but now very run down buildings. Once upon a time they had Kodak and Xerox at their greatest, but both companies presence in the town is a shadow of its former self.....  In general though its not a bad place. Relies a lot on its university though for people bringing money in.....

You get a decent sized house in Rochester for about £10k though!