Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Tales of the "pre-season football" fan...

This more than any other pre-season will be more difficult get to get up for, I take my hat off to anyone going up to Scotland next week to watch those matches, I especially applaud anyone "voluntarily" going to Selhurst Park on a Tuesday night later this month.

Pre-season football can be a hit and miss affair, I thought we could share some of the "best and worst" down the years.

Two of the better locations in past years for tours were Malaysia (which I regret not going to) I also rememeber a tour of USA in 1993, which I was but a teenager back then and couldn''t really afford to go, I would love to go there now (unlikely given our status!)

Anyway my worst - pre-premiership friendly 2004 away at Coventry, without doubt THE worst football match I''ve ever had the misfortune to sit through in my life, I can''t recall another match where literally NOTHING happened - final score 0-0 incidently.

best - the humble surroundings of Clipbush Park-Fakenham some 7/8 years ago, You will never witness a finer hat-rick on any stage of world football than the one that the then "trialist" Marc Libbra scored this night - still talked about in these parts now !

How was his hat-trick comprised?

I''ve always tried finding a vid of Libbra''s debut goal, but never found it. I think i''ve seen it once or twice on TV.

Libbra was so frustrating, he could be absolutely brilliant, but he was so up and down he made Hoolahan look a model of consistency.

[quote user="Largey"]

How was his hat-trick comprised?

I''ve always tried finding a vid of Libbra''s debut goal, but never found it. I think i''ve seen it once or twice on TV.

[/quote]

I was the classic ''perfect'' hat-trick, right football curler in the top-corner from 20 yards, left foot, drilled into the bottom corner from just outsde the box , followed by ''bullet header'' from a left wing cross. A night which prompted Worthington to reach for a contract.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

This more than any other pre-season will be more difficult get to get up for, I take my hat off to anyone going up to Scotland next week to watch those matches, I especially applaud anyone "voluntarily" going to Selhurst Park on a Tuesday night later this month.

Pre-season football can be a hit and miss affair, I thought we could share some of the "best and worst" down the years.

Two of the better locations in past years for tours were Malaysia (which I regret not going to) I also rememeber a tour of USA in 1993, which I was but a teenager back then and couldn''t really afford to go, I would love to go there now (unlikely given our status!)

Anyway my worst - pre-premiership friendly 2004 away at Coventry, without doubt THE worst football match I''ve ever had the misfortune to sit through in my life, I can''t recall another match where literally NOTHING happened - final score 0-0 incidently.

best - the humble surroundings of Clipbush Park-Fakenham some 7/8 years ago, You will never witness a finer hat-rick on any stage of world football than the one that the then "trialist" Marc Libbra scored this night - still talked about in these parts now !

[/quote]

I remember that night well Beastie!!  After that performance we were convinced we had signed a top, top class striker.

[/quote]

I would welcome any stories from the aforementioned Malaysia / USA tours from anyone that was there?

I remember that night well Beastie!!  After that performance we were convinced we had signed a top, top class striker.

[/quote]

based on the fact that he had scored a hat trick against an amateur side.... oh dear, oh dear!

I had loadsa fun at Cambridge away just before the premiership season kicked off...

me and a mate got the train down and found it amusing that the Abbey stadium is backed onto by a field of cows.. decent away end to be fair, can''t remember the score but think we won 3-2.. I can remember Matt Svensson missed about every chance that came his way and im sure McVeigh scored a goal for us....

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]I had loadsa fun at Cambridge away just before the premiership season kicked off... me and a mate got the train down and found it amusing that the Abbey stadium is backed onto by a field of cows..[/quote]I went to a friendly at Cambridge in 2006 and I remember that well. They weren''t there before the match though. I remember coming out of the ground and seeing a load of cows suddenly appear. It was quite a surreal experience. Almost as surreal as seeing Peter Thorne scoring a goal that day.(Oh and Jas... don''t you mean you found it "amoosing"?) [;)]

[/quote]Well i shall be taking the short walk to Clipbush park Friday night. Would be nice to see a few NEW faces trying to earn a contract.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]I had loadsa fun at Cambridge away just before the premiership season kicked off... me and a mate got the train down and found it amusing that the Abbey stadium is backed onto by a field of cows..[/quote]
I went to a friendly at Cambridge in 2006 and I remember that well. They weren''t there before the match though. I remember coming out of the ground and seeing a load of cows suddenly appear. It was quite a surreal experience. Almost as surreal as seeing Peter Thorne scoring a goal that day.

(Oh and Jas... don''t you mean you found it "amoosing"?) [;)]
[/quote]

Tommy Coopers got nowt on you mate! lol very good!

I went to Edgar st in Hereford in about 1988 or 1989 for a friendly - we lost 1 - 0 and the game was dire - All I remeber is the Pub we went in had a quiz machine and we won plenty from it 

Every year I go to 3 or 4 pre season games and as soon as I get there I wish I had not bothered.  Spurs and Col U were the final straw for me last season and therefore I shall save my £££s this season, for when the real stuff starts!

I live near Gt. Yarmouth so when city played against them i popped down there to watch the game (4 or 5 years ago).It was one of the worst rain storm ive ever seen in england and everywhere got flooded, Me and dad stayed and most of the other fans left after 10-15 mins!

[quote user="bradley11"]FC Utrecht was good [;)]
[/quote]

not half as good as GB Antwerp were....

anyone who didnt go to the home friendlies against Ajax and Inter Milan really missed some top quality talent...

Ibrahimovic scored for ajax against us.. and Inter played the likes of Materazzie, Adriano, Zanetti and Julio Cesar to name but a few.. Adriano scored from the corner flag with an absolute peach of a swerved shot!

I am off to Fakenham and will bew twittering posts onto my new site with team news etc, but I have a dreadful fear I will be reeling off a list of academy kids....

FC Utrecht was good cos of a few Dutch lads infront of me taking the mick out of some fat bird in the City stand all game.

Ace, I should imagine thats exactly what you will be doing considering the game the next day. Still, its a chance to see what the 3 youngsters who have just signed contracts are like? Or will they be going to Dartford?

[quote user="bradley11"]FC Utrecht was good [;)]
[/quote]

I went to a pre-season friendly in 2000 at Carrow Road, I cant for the life of me remember the name of the team, perhaps it was FC Utrecht? They were a foreign team (Danish I think) and had qualified for the Champions League. Might have been Odense but I think I am only recollecting that name cos Steeeno came from there. Possibly Aalborg?

Rubbish game, although I do recall Brian McGovern playing a stormer and thinking we had signed a quality Centre-Half! Oh how wrong I was.

There were only 2 away fans, and one wore a Vikings Hat :)