Sign in to follow this  
singing canary

i think paul mcveigh will do a good job.

i have read several peoples opinion regarding paul mcveigh of which i do see peoples concern .

yet when the guy was here he was a real handfull and was a main fixture in our championship winning team .

fair point he has not achieved much since then yet has anyone considered he may not have been settled anywhere else since he left.

he is 31 and certainly not over the hill and now with norwich now playing at a lower level could be good for us .

players form drops yes but they dont turn poor players over night .

if he fits in here (as he did previously) he could be a very usefull player .

has anyone considered he may have a big point to prove to us .

he may not be the player he was yet i feel the guy deserves a chance to prove himself as when he was here before he could do alot of damage on the right wing or used as a striker .

I hope you are right but I just can''t help but think that this is a bad move, I have been less than impressed with Rusty and Cureton has been a massive flop.  Never go back!

Would rather see us go for new blood personally.

Please do remember that he hasn''t signed anything yet. He hasn''t got a club, he still lives locally and he is trying to get his fitness levels up.

This is quite a common thing to happen for a player out of contract. (unless your name is Huckerby and Roeder is the Manager)

Personally, I can''t see McVeigh signing or us.

I think that Duncan Forbes and Dale Gordon both live locally and could still do a good job for us as well, don''t you?

OTBC

I would have McVeigh on the right wing ahead of anyone else we currently have at the club. On his day he could turn games.

my thoughts ace in his day he was a real handfull and when he got his scoring boots on he was always in the right place at the right time .

if he can get back to full fitness i think he will surprise a few people i hope he does enough for us to give him a chance as i feel he could be a dark horse for us .

McVeigh hasn''t signed for us... i dont think he will either.. he is just training with us to keep his fatness...ooops.. fitness up.

jas :)

But as you say Singing Canary that was in his day. A long time ago. And I seem to remember that he only played well when there was something in it for him.............like playing for a new contract. Once achieved, back to mediocrity.

If Gunn gives McVeigh a contract it shows the absolute lack of ambition within the club.

But why should I be surprised?

he was part of our winning championship team and i would not say he was over the hill either at 31 .

i fail to see how you mean lack of ambition when the guy was in our team that walked the championship by 10 points (i think)

its all about bringing in players who want to play for us if he does get a contract i really feel alot of people will take back what they have said about him .

i may be wrong but as ace said he is better than what we have at the moment .

if we could get hucks on the other side i think we would create a fair few problems .

you ahve to ask yourself did luton play him out of position or did he not fit in to how they play .

he scored 40 goals for us he cant be that bad can he?

He was at his best on the left had a hell of a cross on him,didn''t play on the right much if i remember correctly,talking of right wingers what happened to Mark Rivers.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

McVeigh hasn''t signed for us... i dont think he will either.. he is just training with us to keep his fatness...ooops.. fitness up.

[/quote]I''ve a feeling he will sign.  If were a Championship club, no way,  but as we''re League 1 now you bet he will,  if he''s fit.

[quote user="singing canary"]im now going to get grilled ..

on his day i think he was better than croft .[/quote]Mark Fotheringham was pretty good on his day also.It doesn''t mean anything. Then again Paul bleeds yellow and green so get him in.

Mcveigh had 1 good season. Then when he got given a new contract he put on loads of weight and went down the pan! He was crap last season at Luton in league 2, so how the hell is he going to be any better in league 1 and being a year older too? I think he would find it hard to get a contract at Kings Lynn let alone us!

[quote user="singing canary"]i have read several peoples opinion regarding paul mcveigh of which i do see peoples concern .

yet when the guy was here he was a real handfull and was a main fixture in our championship winning team .

fair point he has not achieved much since then yet has anyone considered he may not have been settled anywhere else since he left.

he is 31 and certainly not over the hill and now with norwich now playing at a lower level could be good for us .

players form drops yes but they dont turn poor players over night .

if he fits in here (as he did previously) he could be a very usefull player .

has anyone considered he may have a big point to prove to us .

he may not be the player he was yet i feel the guy deserves a chance to prove himself as when he was here before he could do alot of damage on the right wing or used as a striker .[/quote]Thinking and doing are completely different!! look at rodents signings,i thought hemade some good ones,but they took us down!! i hope your right!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Hes nowhere near as fat and lazy as Alan Lee.

[quote user="colneycanary"]Mcveigh had 1 good season. Then when he got given a new contract he put on loads of weight and went down the pan! He was crap last season at Luton in league 2, so how the hell is he going to be any better in league 1 and being a year older too? I think he would find it hard to get a contract at Kings Lynn let alone us!
[/quote]

1 good season? where were you for the other 2?

Mc Veigh has talent as did his good friend Mulryne. Booze has been the ruin of both of them and unless he has turned over a new leaf i see little to get excited about

[quote user="colneycanary"]Mcveigh had 1 good season. Then when he got given a new contract he put on loads of weight and went down the pan! He was crap last season at Luton in league 2, so how the hell is he going to be any better in league 1 and being a year older too? I think he would find it hard to get a contract at Kings Lynn let alone us!
[/quote]

Crap in league two? He had a better goals per game ratio than Chris Martin, despite playing in midfield,  should we be getting rid of him too then?

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[quote user="colneycanary"]Mcveigh had 1 good season. Then when he got given a new contract he put on loads of weight and went down the pan! He was crap last season at Luton in league 2, so how the hell is he going to be any better in league 1 and being a year older too? I think he would find it hard to get a contract at Kings Lynn let alone us![/quote]

Crap in league two? He had a better goals per game ratio than Chris Martin, despite playing in midfield,  should we be getting rid of him too then?

[/quote] Yes , and we probably would be if we had any sort of transfer kitty . McVeigh is yesterdays man , average years ago and nowhere near good enough now . We could stick a team of 50 year old ex players on the pitch and the likes of you would claim they are up to the job .Start living in the real world , promotion is going to mean having a better squad than the other teams , Gunn is putting together the worst squad seen at this club in decades , the mans a joke .

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Mc Veigh has talent as did his good friend Mulryne. Booze has been the ruin of both of them and unless he has turned over a new leaf i see little to get excited about[/quote]

Maybe he''s grown up a little, he literally looks half the man he was when he left NCFC, he looks trim, tones and interested.

Personally I have never been a big fan of Paul, but in this league if he can get fit and replicate some of the form he was in when he played for the championship winning side, he''d be a welcome and good signing.. I mean personally, after looking at the squad, I wouldn''t mind having him at the club even it was just for backup. I mean he''s not going to be demanding hardly ANY wage what so ever, he''ll be begging for one.. no agent fees, no big long contracts.. I don''t see why so many people have a problem with this signing.. everyone just thinks that when we sign a player he will jump STRAIGHT into the first XI and be what Gunn thinks to be the best player for that position..

no offence your going to look a bit silly if they do well .

the norwich of old always signed players from lower leauge clubs .. steve bruce drinkell , linighan , phelan , .

why have you written them off before they kick a ball .

as comented on here mcveigh looks fairly trim compaired to what he used to look like .

he is 31 not 51 no footballer losses masive amount of skill in a couple of years at least let him kick a ball first before passing judgement .

Are you talking about the same Paul McVeigh who was considered by Luton''s management to be largely unable "to do a job" for them in League 2?Why not just get in the whole team from 2001, considering you believe their skills haven''t dimished in 8 years.