Sign in to follow this  
DEB (never forgotten)

Dickinson to Brighton!

[quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="Barclay hero"]

I don’t think the board have got 250k….. I agree that its not down to the fans to buy players but the club hasn’t got the money either.  I’m well aware that there has been a lot of wastage over the years – not all of it in the ‘football’ part of the club either – but it means the money just isn’t there any more.  Lita’s wages last year didn’t come from the board, and I think we are living very much hand to mouth now

Juan Velasco, great idea unfortunately the club is living beyond its means, even now (as most clubs do – if football was a proper business we would have gone bust years ago) and that means we can’t just divert part of the season ticket income into buying players.  Its not just the fee we have to pay – its wages, medical bills, car, housing you name it.  The club wasn’t helped by people keeping their rebate, however I’m not going to point fingers, or go down that road again (before anyone starts) – people kept their rebate for their own reasons and if they can justify it to themselves then they don’t need to justify it to anyone else.

The other point to note is that even if we DO find the money, Dickinson is a gamble, same as almost any player.  Yes signs are he’d be a good player but same thing applies to most of the donkeys we’ve bought over the years.  For the record I think we’re better off with Lee – he’s a proven scorer at Championship level with the scum so chances are he’ll do OK at our level.  Plus he really wants to play for us which helps

[/quote]

Not taking a ''gamble'' and ''risks'' is going to cost us a hell of a lot more than trying to get back up with what we have got.

I guarentee that failure to win promotion at first attempt will see about 12,000 season tickets next season. Its not a case of not being able to afford to do it, its a case of not being able to afford not to.  You have to speculate to accumulate, not finding the money again is exactly the same mistake that we have made for the last few seasons.

Relegation may have cost this club money, and we clearly have to cut our cloth accordingly (Marshall going, Croft going, staff redundancies is a start).

But failure to invest in the first team squad will cost us even more. The only way to arrest the decline of our club is to invest in players of a sufficient calibre on the pitch, and if this club cannot find £1m to spend this summer (considering Cureton, Marshall and Croft cost us £2.4m together) then we are f*cked.

Im fed up with this prudance crap. Why not look at it from a different angle?  Relegation is said to have cost us £7m per season in lost revenue.  We can stay down this season and lose another £3m in revenue, or we can invest £1m in the playing squad and try and get that £7m back.

I know which one I will choose.

[/quote]

And before you ask where we are going to get £1m from, please be reminded that the club have themselves claimed that 700k will be directed to the playing budget from rebate fiasco, and that the club recieved 500k from David Marshall. Add to that the fact that the wage bill has already been cut almost in half by the departure of expensive loan players, and there you have your answer.

250k for Dickinson = less than Lee Crofts annual salary.  Stop settling for mediocrity.

[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree with this. We have 18,500 season ticket holders which alone brings in approx £4.5m. Our wage bill must be tiny compared to last season and will be dropping further if Clingan goes. We have sold Marshall and will no doubt sell Clingan. We simply must be able to find £500K from somewhere this summer to spend on a couple of decent players. If we haven''t got at least £700K left to spend then that means that without the rebate money our budget was basically nil which is totally unacceptable.

[quote user="DEB"]http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/sport/Seagulls-sights-Dickinson/article-1140499-detail/article.html[/quote]

Wow, a misleading title from "DEB (never forgotten)....... what a surprise.

Why are we knocking the fact that we appear to be trying to cut the right deal.

So now the club is at fault when we try and spend money wisely........ they are at fault when we p$$$ money away.......... another no win situation.

Frankly Liam Dickinson''s record is decent but not outstanding.......... if most of the champ clubs are not interested, then why should we be paying over the odds for such a player......

I would like him to come here but if Derby want too much we are probably better to set our sights on somone else who is better value.

That also keeps extra money for another signing.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="Barclay hero"]

I don’t think the board have got 250k….. I agree that its not down to the fans to buy players but the club hasn’t got the money either.  I’m well aware that there has been a lot of wastage over the years – not all of it in the ‘football’ part of the club either – but it means the money just isn’t there any more.  Lita’s wages last year didn’t come from the board, and I think we are living very much hand to mouth now

Juan Velasco, great idea unfortunately the club is living beyond its means, even now (as most clubs do – if football was a proper business we would have gone bust years ago) and that means we can’t just divert part of the season ticket income into buying players.  Its not just the fee we have to pay – its wages, medical bills, car, housing you name it.  The club wasn’t helped by people keeping their rebate, however I’m not going to point fingers, or go down that road again (before anyone starts) – people kept their rebate for their own reasons and if they can justify it to themselves then they don’t need to justify it to anyone else.

The other point to note is that even if we DO find the money, Dickinson is a gamble, same as almost any player.  Yes signs are he’d be a good player but same thing applies to most of the donkeys we’ve bought over the years.  For the record I think we’re better off with Lee – he’s a proven scorer at Championship level with the scum so chances are he’ll do OK at our level.  Plus he really wants to play for us which helps

[/quote]

Not taking a ''gamble'' and ''risks'' is going to cost us a hell of a lot more than trying to get back up with what we have got.

I guarentee that failure to win promotion at first attempt will see about 12,000 season tickets next season. Its not a case of not being able to afford to do it, its a case of not being able to afford not to.  You have to speculate to accumulate, not finding the money again is exactly the same mistake that we have made for the last few seasons.

Relegation may have cost this club money, and we clearly have to cut our cloth accordingly (Marshall going, Croft going, staff redundancies is a start).

But failure to invest in the first team squad will cost us even more. The only way to arrest the decline of our club is to invest in players of a sufficient calibre on the pitch, and if this club cannot find £1m to spend this summer (considering Cureton, Marshall and Croft cost us £2.4m together) then we are f*cked.

Im fed up with this prudance crap. Why not look at it from a different angle?  Relegation is said to have cost us £7m per season in lost revenue.  We can stay down this season and lose another £3m in revenue, or we can invest £1m in the playing squad and try and get that £7m back.

I know which one I will choose.

[/quote]

And before you ask where we are going to get £1m from, please be reminded that the club have themselves claimed that 700k will be directed to the playing budget from rebate fiasco, and that the club recieved 500k from David Marshall. Add to that the fact that the wage bill has already been cut almost in half by the departure of expensive loan players, and there you have your answer.

250k for Dickinson = less than Lee Crofts annual salary.  Stop settling for mediocrity.

[/quote][IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/caireyhunt/clapping.gif[/IMG]

Well surely we have to spend some cash soon, we know we have some!

[quote user="USAcanary"]

[quote user="DEB"]http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/sport/Seagulls-sights-Dickinson/article-1140499-detail/article.html[/quote]

Wow, a misleading title from "DEB (never forgotten)....... what a surprise.

Why are we knocking the fact that we appear to be trying to cut the right deal.

So now the club is at fault when we try and spend money wisely........ they are at fault when we p$$$ money away.......... another no win situation.

Frankly Liam Dickinson''s record is decent but not outstanding.......... if most of the champ clubs are not interested, then why should we be paying over the odds for such a player......

I would like him to come here but if Derby want too much we are probably better to set our sights on somone else who is better value.

That also keeps extra money for another signing.

[/quote]

I seem to remember the same things being said for the last few years, problem is every year we have ended up missing out on our top targets and have ended up signing the crap that nobody else wanted because we weren''t prepared to pay the going rate. End result = relegation = several million in lost revenue and playing at our lowest level for 50 years, not exactly rocket science.

Two questions:1. What happens if we spend the money, it turns out the expensive players are not quite as good as we hoped and promotion doesn''t happen? Wouldn''t be the first time?2. Canarytom - are you a homophobe then? Do we need to turn you to the pink side? [;)]

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Two questions:

1. What happens if we spend the money, it turns out the expensive players are not quite as good as we hoped and promotion doesn''t happen? Wouldn''t be the first time?

2. Canarytom - are you a homophobe then? Do we need to turn you to the pink side? [;)]
[/quote]

If we don''t spend any money you might as well forget about promotion now, speculating in order to accumulate is something we have failed to do over the years and for me is a big reason we are where we are now.

I''m afraid the let''s not risk anything in case we fail philosophy doesn''t cut any ice with me, the people who are prepared to take risks generally are the ones who end up with the greater rewards. It is a far greater risk not to spend in our situation imo, if we sink any lower we really would be up the creek without a paddle.

How can you not know who chubs is? Haha. Shocking! Canarytom makes me laugh with some of his posts so I believe him that he is not a racist homophobe.

I would imagine that Derby would want more than £250k, more like £400-£500k. I would guess that the board is looking at Dickenson OR Lee, and negotiations are ongoing for both to see which one they can get a better deal for (i.e. who they can get cheapest then proclaim is the new saviour).

To be fair to Dickenson he has a decent record, if those stats are correct, but it does beg the question of why he couldnt score in a Leeds team that was playing very well at the end of last season?

[quote user="eagle"]

How can you not know who chubs is? Haha. Shocking! Canarytom makes me laugh with some of his posts so I believe him that he is not a racist homophobe.

I would imagine that Derby would want more than £250k, more like £400-£500k. I would guess that the board is looking at Dickenson OR Lee, and negotiations are ongoing for both to see which one they can get a better deal for (i.e. who they can get cheapest then proclaim is the new saviour).

To be fair to Dickenson he has a decent record, if those stats are correct, but it does beg the question of why he couldnt score in a Leeds team that was playing very well at the end of last season?

[/quote]

I had a scout on the Leeds 606 page and Dickinson was being mercilessly torn to shreds. Only one of the guys stood up for him and said he was still coming back from injury and was way off the pace with regards to match fitness when he was with them

[quote user="Mutley"][quote user="eagle"]

[/quote]

I had a scout on the Leeds 606 page and Dickinson was being mercilessly torn to shreds. Only one of the guys stood up for him and said he was still coming back from injury and was way off the pace with regards to match fitness when he was with them

[/quote]

The Leeds fan I know said he was quite poor and didn''t look like a player with that sort of record. I imagine that not playing competitive football for that long has its effect on his match sharpness and if he was coming back from an injury then that may explain something.

Whoever he signs, Gunn needs to get the right character to fit his squad. The last thing we need is another 20-something who is more interested in Mercy than football.

[quote user="eagle"]

[/quote]

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=43084

[quote user="Delia Out"][quote user="eagle"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That IS a decent record though? 

[quote user="Delia Out"][quote user="eagle"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He has scored 43 goals in 122 LG games 1 goal  every 2.83 games

That equates to around 16 goals over a 46 game season............

A decent record but not the sort of player who should command a large fee IMHO.

I don`t blame Norwich for not wanting to pay much for him.........Derby probably way overpaid for him at 750K, Obviously they dont rate him too highly for one reason or another.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Two questions:

1. What happens if we spend the money, it turns out the expensive players are not quite as good as we hoped and promotion doesn''t happen? Wouldn''t be the first time?

2. Canarytom - are you a homophobe then? Do we need to turn you to the pink side? [;)]
[/quote]

Wouldn''t it be brown side!?! I''m not a fan of overly camp homos. Why do they feel it neccessary to talk in that stupid voice?

[quote user="canarytom"]

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Two questions:1. What happens if we spend the money, it turns out the expensive players are not quite as good as we hoped and promotion doesn''t happen? Wouldn''t be the first time?2. Canarytom - are you a homophobe then? Do we need to turn you to the pink side? [;)][/quote]

Wouldn''t it be brown side!?! I''m not a fan of overly camp homos. Why do they feel it neccessary to talk in that stupid voice?

[/quote]You go on about gay people a hell of a lot for someone that''s supposedly straight

One of my mates is a big Derby fan and he just told me that the situation surrounding Dickinson is very strange. He has been loaned out to numerous clubs since he arrived there and always did a good job. Despite this, they seem intent on getting rid of him before he ever plays a match. Apparently, this is because shortly after he joined Derby, there was a party of some kind at the Chairman''s house and he managed to disgrace himself. As a result, Mr Perason says he will never play for Derby while he is Chairman.

[quote user="canarytom"]One of my mates is a big Derby fan and he just told me that the situation surrounding Dickinson is very strange. He has been loaned out to numerous clubs since he arrived there and always did a good job. Despite this, they seem intent on getting rid of him before he ever plays a match. Apparently, this is because shortly after he joined Derby, there was a party of some kind at the Chairman''s house and he managed to disgrace himself. As a result, Mr Perason says he will never play for Derby while he is Chairman.[/quote]

Awesome story if its true, not sure we want another "party boy" here though. We already have Matty "Party" Pattison.

Surely we have got the money to purchase dickinson or lee..... we got over £700,000 from rebates and Michael Fulger and we also got whatever money came from the sale of Marshall which I think is about £500,000 and we surely must of had some money in the kitty anyway to spend on players, so it isnt as if we havent got any money to spend.

[quote user="USAcanary"][quote user="Delia Out"][quote user="eagle"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He has scored 43 goals in 122 LG games 1 goal  every 2.83 games

That equates to around 16 goals over a 46 game season............

A decent record but not the sort of player who should command a large fee IMHO.

I don`t blame Norwich for not wanting to pay much for him.........Derby probably way overpaid for him at 750K, Obviously they dont rate him too highly for one reason or another.

[/quote]

Yeah or 43 goals in 79 starts........ but whatever way you want to look at it. Personally I like to be open minded to the chances that a striker has of scoring goal in 10 minutes, in relation to the chances that a striker has of scoring a goal over 90 minutes.....