Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

FFS, Cody Mac is still unproven!

Don''t get me wrong, I like the lad a lot, but, to get promoted quickly, at the first time of asking, we need proven, proffessional strikers, not someone learning the ropes.

Cody is for the future, not now, push him too hard and you could destroy him!

Hmmm, I sort of agree, but is not like he''s alone is it?  We have three "short" strikers in him, Martin and Cureton.  If we obtain Lee, and perhaps a.n. other tall guy on loan, then he''s hardly going to carry the club on his shoulders is he?

im going to use a horse racing analogy, it seems apt.you have 3 horses.1 is a young but unproven talent, which is excitable and eager. (1)another is an alcoholic idiot with a temper, but with good legs on it (2)the last one, the veteran, still wags its tail, and will never give up, but always falls short in the races. (3)now, which ones in order would you rather race?id go for the young unproven one, after all, how do you become proven? by PLAYING!!!!and be it a horse or a cody, without experience and the opportunity, you wont go anywhere, talented or not.the alcoholic idiot, is clearly talented but needs to be kicked down a level, could Martin come good this year if tamed properly?and as for the veteran, you know who i am comparing him to. And in truth, if games were won on effort, he would get the golden boot, but alas it just isnt, i think its time we let him go to stud or shot him and served him in Delias.

based on this, AS it stand, cody is the best option we have, it would be good if we signed competition, but if we didnt, id stand by him as he is the best talent we have, and he can do it. Jamie lad has done it, he HAS been there, but, it doesnt mean he will be any better this time around. id still want to see some really good competition coming in for every position though not just strikers.

I think you should have used a dog racing analogy... Just seems more appropiate given the wagging tail. Never seen a horse wag its tail.  haha ;-)

agree with you MIA. As things stand our best options are McDonald and Martin.

Cureton as sad as some may find it is past it. He is now considering his future and is wanting games next year as a reason for him to stay, I don''t like that in a player. If he wants games he can prove himself in pre-season, why come out now and say if he doesn''t get a chance he wants to move on... he had opportunities last season, and the season before, and wasted the majority of them, it wasn''t down to bad luck, it was down to terrible finishing and composure.

McDonald made a few late substitute appears last season to drip feed him into the life of a higher league player and showed glimpses of magic. Scored a goal or two, ran with the ball at his feet and looked totally comfortable with the presence of championship defenders waiting for him.

I for one would pick McDonald over Cureton anyday, who wants to mature and wants to learn and can help us with this new "desire to win" mould of players Gunn is bringing in. How many chances can you give a player until you decide enough is enough? I for one think that moment for Cureton came some time ago...

Agree entirely Wiz. As Hucks said, to place all this emphasis on a diamond in the rough is just going to turn him to coal. We need to sign a competant and prolific strike force capable of allowing Cody to continue his education without massive pressures.

[quote user="Lincs CR"]agree with you MIA. As things stand our best options are McDonald and Martin. Cureton as sad as some may find it is past it. He is now considering his future and is wanting games next year as a reason for him to stay, I don''t like that in a player. If he wants games he can prove himself in pre-season, why come out now and say if he doesn''t get a chance he wants to move on... he had opportunities last season, and the season before, and wasted the majority of them, it wasn''t down to bad luck, it was down to terrible finishing and composure. McDonald made a few late substitute appears last season to drip feed him into the life of a higher league player and showed glimpses of magic. Scored a goal or two, ran with the ball at his feet and looked totally comfortable with the presence of championship defenders waiting for him. I for one would pick McDonald over Cureton anyday, who wants to mature and wants to learn and can help us with this new "desire to win" mould of players Gunn is bringing in. How many chances can you give a player until you decide enough is enough? I for one think that moment for Cureton came some time ago...[/quote]

Only one league goal I believe![:|]

Forgot to add, after reading Marshys post, that I think we do need a prolific striker, someone for the likes of Martin/Cody to feed off... we surely have to play ONE of them next year... if not I can''t see Martin wanting to stay, after proving himself with Luton to not even being given the chance may not rest well with the lad.

Curo''s legs had gone last year. They are not going to come back because we''re in League One. Time to get rid in the best interests of all concerned.

Having said that, we need someone else in to spread the load because Cody is still very raw. Lee would be ideal, but, I suspect, unlikely.

by "glimpses of magic" Wiz, it doesn''t mean he suddenly became our top scorer. He wanted to shoot, he wanted to take the defender on, he had a winning mentality... that sure as hell is more than Cureton had to offer.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Lincs CR"]agree with you MIA. As things stand our best options are McDonald and Martin. Cureton as sad as some may find it is past it. He is now considering his future and is wanting games next year as a reason for him to stay, I don''t like that in a player. If he wants games he can prove himself in pre-season, why come out now and say if he doesn''t get a chance he wants to move on... he had opportunities last season, and the season before, and wasted the majority of them, it wasn''t down to bad luck, it was down to terrible finishing and composure. McDonald made a few late substitute appears last season to drip feed him into the life of a higher league player and showed glimpses of magic. Scored a goal or two, ran with the ball at his feet and looked totally comfortable with the presence of championship defenders waiting for him. I for one would pick McDonald over Cureton anyday, who wants to mature and wants to learn and can help us with this new "desire to win" mould of players Gunn is bringing in. How many chances can you give a player until you decide enough is enough? I for one think that moment for Cureton came some time ago...[/quote]

Only one league goal I believe![:|]

[/quote]

Only one league start I believe [:|]

although cureton cannot hit a barn door..mcdonald runs with the ball, takes on defender, came from DARTFORD and showed no fear when running against championship defenders, score a goal in his 5 substitute last 10 minute appearances..... comapred to cureton who missed chances from 3 yards out on ENDLESS occasions.... im not exaggerating either, he had opportunites from 2 or 3 yards and still managed to miss...Thats why he should start.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Curo''s legs had gone last year. They are not going to come back because we''re in League One. Time to get rid in the best interests of all concerned.

Having said that, we need someone else in to spread the load because Cody is still very raw. Lee would be ideal, but, I suspect, unlikely.

[/quote]

His legs have gone? Did fine against these spring chickens in March:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RimkeeCWfKA

Doesnt look like his legs have gone to me. That Chelsea reserve team could easily compete in League One, and probably the championship.

Whow Peeps! I started this thread, not in defence of Curo, you''ve all assumed that yourselves, but expressed an opinion on young Cody.

Personally, I think signing Lee is the vital factor here, regardless of who playes alongside him.

I totally agree Wiz. Cody is a diamond in the rough that needs nurturing carefully. He''s not ready to shoulder responsibility for scoring the goals we need to be promoted. We need two goal scoring strikers with Cody and Martin offering the competition and continuing their own development.

For me Chris Martin could be a pivital player next season. We all no he has the talent and now a bit of experience, its just whether he can control his behaviour and attitude.

I also think Cureton isn''t past it yet. He, along with Cody, needs to play games.

Cody for the Experience and Cureton just so he can find his feet again.

All 3 strikers could do a good job for us next season, providing they have a target man to play alongside.

[quote user="lappinitup"]Cody knows where the goal is, Jamie doesn''t. No contest![/quote]

FFS mate, this thread is about Cody.......no one else, got it?[:S]

[quote user="league1canary"]

I think you should have used a dog racing analogy... Just seems more appropiate given the wagging tail. Never seen a horse wag its tail.  haha ;-)

[/quote]could of used a donkey for curo.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="lappinitup"]Cody knows where the goal is, Jamie doesn''t. No contest![/quote]

FFS mate, this thread is about Cody.......no one else, got it?[:S][/quote]Jamie''s name had been mentioned ELEVEN times in this thread before I posted wiz, why pick on me? Is it ''cos I''m old.............

.............or because Jamie''s old! [:''(]

[quote user="lappinitup"]Jamie''s name had been mentioned ELEVEN times in this thread before I posted wiz[/quote]

Yeah, maybe, but not by me intially!

But if makes you happy, I''ll point the title of this thread out again to everyone.

With Cody M, I think of Jermaine Beckford.

Similar story-loads of goals at non league level, lots of clubs after him, Leeds got in.

Struggled at first and got a lot of stick-Leeds, then in CCC, loaned him out to Scunthorpe in L1. Leeds fans pleased to see the back of him at that point.

Leeds then went down and Beckford scored a hatful, under less pressure, at Scunny and they went up.

He went back to Leeds-and, over two seasons in L1, has scored a lot of goals.

I think that might be his level.

I think Cody might need a season as well, just like Beckford-but he doesn''t need the potential superstar burden that is being put on him. If he can get 10-12 goals next season and not become a subject of some fan criticism come Oct/Nov, if he is struggling, then he''ll come good, but he has to have-regardless of whether we can give it him or not-time. Hopefully he will.

Wiz we don''t mean to change this into a Cureton topic however when talking about whether or not to play a striker we have to compare him to what we currently have... which is pretty much only Cureton.

I have to agree with Cody.  The crunch game last season was against Reading.  His only league start but was completely ineffective because of their experience against his lack of.  They dominated him.  

He does have potential,  but just because we are now facing league one players does not mean he will run riot.  He has pace and ethusiasm, and I too hope he will do well.  

Wiz is not advocating Cureton as the starting option,  just trying to rightly temper the over enthusiastic optimism (translated - pressure if he fails to score in the opening two games) that he is our striking saviour.