Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Only signing 6ft+ players - deja vu?

I am sure I have heard this before from the club.  A ''policy'' of signing players 6ft+, was this with Worthington when we got promoted to the Prem?

Can anyone remember?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

I am sure I have heard this before from the club.  A ''policy'' of signing players 6ft+, was this with Worthington when we got promoted to the Prem?

Can anyone remember?

[/quote]

The club has not said that they have a policy of signing 6ft+ players. They have said that we need height in a few key positions. That does not mean that everybody will be over 6ft, it means that we needed some height at the back to replace Shackell, we needed some height in the middle of the park to help out with set pieces and we need a target man.  It doesnt mean that we are going to go out onto the pitch with 6ft 5in wingers!

Roeder said it, well he said that we needed powerful and strong athletes..... before proceeding to sign Hoolohan, Clingan and Lupoli and to sell Shackell!

i don''t really recall Worthington actually bringing in too many tall players, bar Doherty and then Ashton in January. Had he done so i think we would have stayed up, we were too "nice" and actually played half a season with Fleming and Charlton at the heart of the defence

It was Roeder when he was banging on about the Arsenal model.  He then proceeded to loan and buy people almost exclusively under 6'' ......

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]actually played half a season with Fleming and Charlton at the heart of the defence[/quote] and that was such a good partnership as well! i feel we are only IF team!

I thought it was Worthingtons aim for the academy, develop the football ability of those lads with potential to physically compete - cant make good small footballers stronger,  can if you can make a competetive big lad move from an ok amateur to possible pro who will push themselves they could save a lot of cash.

It did come home startlingly for me at the Arsenal home game in the prem,  they seemed like giants compared to our players!   

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Francis and Etuhu weren''t signed in the summer of 2004[/quote]True. Mis read the post sayin Worthy didnt bring in many tall players.

[quote user="ACE"]It was Roeder when he was banging on about the Arsenal model.  He then proceeded to loan and buy people almost exclusively under 6'' ......
[/quote]

Yes, I can remember Roeder musing on that theme.

When we got stuffed at home by the Arse they had one player under 6 foot.We had one player over 6 foot.Roeder indeed identified it as a problem. Shame he had a short memoryWho else...?    McVeigh Notman Henderson Charlton .......