Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

Cheerio Hoolohan

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

Great post, Shack. Saved me typing it myself. There''s so much more to football than statistics. Juan, if you really think that we could replace Hoolahan with a better player, fair enough. Personally, I doubt it, therefore I really hope he stays. If he does, Gunn has to work out where to play him. I agree with the Shack that he looks more dangerous in a free role.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Sorry Juan but you''re taking an oversimplistic viewpoint by only basing your opinion on bare statistics. There is so much more to a game of football than that. Do goals win games or do you score goals by winning games? You admit yourself that he earns a hell of a lot of free kicks for the team. So surely the best idea would be to bring in somebody who can take a decent set piece? Can Gill deliver a decent free kick?You also seem convinced that Hoolahan doesn''t want to be here although there seems to be no evidence to suggest that this is true.

Hoolahan had a difficult first season, that seems pretty clear to me. I would suggest that regardless of final league position it''s a pretty big step to go from playing in front of one man and his dog at Blackpool to 25,000 at Carrow Road where you''ve just been brought in to replace a former crowd idol. I also don''t think he has been helped by being moved around the pitch so much. He started off slowly as an orthodox left winger but by the time Roeder had given him more of a free reign around the time of the Ipswich home game he had started to look dangerous. In fact it was around this time, when Roeder was sending us out in a fairly loose 4-2-3-1 with Clingan and Pattison being the more defensive midfielders and Bell, Hoolahan and Croft playing behind Lita, that we actually started to look half decent.

I''d like to see us keep Hoolahan and build a side around him based on him either having a free role behind a lone striker (Lee?) or as part of a central midfield three with a licence to roam. Stick him out on the left and expect him to be Darren Huckerby and you might as well get rid.

[/quote][/quote]

Well I did think that we could sign a better player, and that player is Mark Yeates. It now transpires that we have absolutely no chance and he is going to a top championship team. I do still believe that we can sign a better left winger, Darren Huckerby, and I do still believe that we would find it hard to find a way of accommodating Wes Hoolohan in his best position (behind the forwards).  But still, this is only my personal opinion and it is not going to change anytime soon, just like your opinion probably isnt going to change anytime soon either. If Gunn does think that he can accommodate Hoolohan to maximise his impact next season then great, there is nothing better that I would like to see then a City player doing well.

If Hoolohan stays and plays excellently for us next year, then there is nothing more that I would like then to pull up this thread, put my hands up and admit that I was wrong. I would get more enjoyment out of seeing a successful Norwich team and a successful Norwich player called Wes Hoolahan. If he is rubbish, or if Mark Yeates ends up moving somewhere for £4m, then I will take a much smaller amount of pleasure in pulling up this thread to brag about that. Still, we are all Norwich fans and we all have one thing in common - that we want to see a successful City team. I am not willing Hoolahan to play rubbish next year to prove anybody wrong, I am simply expressing my personal opinion which we are all entitled to do.

JuanVelasco, are you retarded, so many people have spelt his name correctly, yet you still spell it wrong, show some respect you tit. HOOLAHAN NOT HOOLOHAN

The wee man has proved a massive dissapointment. If we can get back the money we paid for him we should do it in a heart beat. Gunn is clearly focussing on strength and height with his new team. We need 18 big lads on the team sheet, this midget would just look silly.

As others have alluded to, stats can never tell the whole picture. Yes Hoolahoop may only have a handful of assists and goals but a) a lot of the time he was being played out of position and b) to get an assist, you''ve got to have someone on the end of any cross you put into the box. He was also injured for a fair part of the season and playing in a disjointed team low on confidence. I don''t get to see games all that often but I remember a few towards the final third of the season when he was being played on the left wing and he was the only Norwich player doing anything of note; taking men on and trying to put balls in, but nobody trying to capitalise on what he was doing.

[quote user="Big Bob"]JuanVelasco, are you retarded, so many people have spelt his name correctly, yet you still spell it wrong, show some respect you tit. HOOLAHAN NOT HOOLOHAN
[/quote]

In my last reply I wrote Hoolahan 4 times and Hoolohon 0 times, so show me respect you tit.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]So why are you getting so wound up about people disagreeing with it?[/quote]

Im not getting wound up by people disagreeing with it, I am getting wound up by people not allowing me to have an opinion that differs from theirs. I have asked about 5 times in this thread for people to agree to disagree, and as of yet people just cant understand that my opinion on the matter is not going to change. As it happens quite a few people have agreed with me.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[quote user="Big Bob"]JuanVelasco, are you retarded, so many people have spelt his name correctly, yet you still spell it wrong, show some respect you tit. HOOLAHAN NOT HOOLOHAN
[/quote]

In my last reply I wrote Hoolahan 4 times and Hoolohon 0 times, so show me respect you tit.

[/quote]

Are you for real? I made it 3 Hoolohan''s and 2 Hoolahan''s. You''re right about the Hoolohon''s though.

[quote user="Matthias son of Deuteronomy of Gath"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Are you for real? I made it 3 Hoolohan''s and 2 Hoolahan''s. You''re right about the Hoolohon''s though.

[/quote]

What does it say about you though? For actually counting spelling mistakes?

I am dyslexic and as such do find it difficult to spell and read certain words, obviously Hoolahan is one of them. If that makes me a retard then thats fine. Obviously too retarded for the pink un forum, but far too clever for university then hey?

Regardless, I would be very disheartened if Hoolahan left.  He is the one midfielder with genuine creative and attacking flair, the one player not afraid to try the difficult pass or to conjure something up.  A welcome antidote to the musclebound robots we seem to be picking these days.