Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

Cheerio Hoolohan

HOOLAHAN, is a key player, for our success next season, he is a match winner, he is a quality player, he is a player we must keep hold of!!!

You may not like him, but then again your favourite player is probably stuart nelson!

He''s played twice as many games so he should have scored more. [;)] If Hoolahan wants to go, then fine Yeates would be an ideal replacement, but if the lad wants to stay then I really don''t see what we will gain by getting rid. He has had time to bed in and I truely believe that we will see the best of him this season.

I personally love Hoolahan, he wants the ball all the time and his "tantrum" at being subbed away to Doncaster showed he cares about the club and wanted to play and help us get out of the mess we were in.

Someone worth hanging on to IMO. HOWEVER Yeates also is a quality player at League 1 level so if he was the man we raplaced Hoolahan with i''d understand letting Hoolahan go with Lee coming the other way.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Sorry Juan but you''re taking an oversimplistic viewpoint by only basing your opinion on bare statistics. There is so much more to a game of football than that. Do goals win games or do you score goals by winning games? You admit yourself that he earns a hell of a lot of free kicks for the team. So surely the best idea would be to bring in somebody who can take a decent set piece? Can Gill deliver a decent free kick?You also seem convinced that Hoolahan doesn''t want to be here although there seems to be no evidence to suggest that this is true.

Hoolahan had a difficult first season, that seems pretty clear to me. I would suggest that regardless of final league position it''s a pretty big step to go from playing in front of one man and his dog at Blackpool to 25,000 at Carrow Road where you''ve just been brought in to replace a former crowd idol. I also don''t think he has been helped by being moved around the pitch so much. He started off slowly as an orthodox left winger but by the time Roeder had given him more of a free reign around the time of the Ipswich home game he had started to look dangerous. In fact it was around this time, when Roeder was sending us out in a fairly loose 4-2-3-1 with Clingan and Pattison being the more defensive midfielders and Bell, Hoolahan and Croft playing behind Lita, that we actually started to look half decent.

I''d like to see us keep Hoolahan and build a side around him based on him either having a free role behind a lone striker (Lee?) or as part of a central midfield three with a licence to roam. Stick him out on the left and expect him to be Darren Huckerby and you might as well get rid.

[/quote]

Firstly, yes I do believe that goals win games, in fact I am 100% certain of that. And to score goals you need to create chances and you need to convert them. I have admitted that he wins a lot of free kicks for the team - it was me that told you that, which is why I clearly said that with a David Bell he would be an asset. Unfortunately nobody has suggested a player who can be our new David Bell, yes maybe Gill is that player - maybe he is not, I havent seen him play.

And again, I clearly said IF he wants to leave. I dont know how you interprate the word if when used in a sentence, but I use the word ''If'' when I am open minded to the possibility of more than one potential outcome. If I was insistant that he wants to leave, I would have used an alternative word. Perhaps WHEN.

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]The only player left who has any creativity or attacking flair. Vital if we''re to mount a promotion push.[/quote]

Totally agree with that Pete.

[quote user="Lambo"]

I personally love Hoolahan, he wants the ball all the time and his "tantrum" at being subbed away to Doncaster showed he cares about the club and wanted to play and help us get out of the mess we were in.

Someone worth hanging on to IMO. HOWEVER Yeates also is a quality player at League 1 level so if he was the man we raplaced Hoolahan with i''d understand letting Hoolahan go with Lee coming the other way.

[/quote]

Its funny how Mark Fotheringham has a tantrum and gets banished and hated by everybody, whilst Hoolohan i loved for it! Fotheringham set up 4 goals in 20 games by the way ;-)

Very good player, Hoolahan.

Would prefer to see him stay as his talent is obvious to see. Don''t see many more skillful players than him outside the Premier League.

I''m sure we would have seen better from him earlier on last season had Roeder not killed him a bit. Once we got shot of Roeder we started to see what Wes can do.

I still think he''d link up really well with Hucks...

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]

Firstly, yes I do believe that goals win games, in fact I am 100% certain of that. And to score goals you need to create chances and you need to convert them. I have admitted that he wins a lot of free kicks for the team - it was me that told you that, which is why I clearly said that with a David Bell he would be an asset. Unfortunately nobody has suggested a player who can be our new David Bell, yes maybe Gill is that player - maybe he is not, I havent seen him play.

And again, I clearly said IF he wants to leave. I dont know how you interprate the word if when used in a sentence, but I use the word ''If'' when I am open minded to the possibility of more than one potential outcome. If I was insistant that he wants to leave, I would have used an alternative word. Perhaps WHEN.

[/quote]

So you don''t think that winning games scores you goals then? How many times do we see goals scored following an extreme spell of pressure from the attacking side with the defending team being pushed further and further back and defending in a more desperate manner. Compare that to wonder goals that come out of the blue when a team is not on top. That''s what I meant by ''winning games'' and that''s why you can''t simply judge a players effectiveness on bare statistics. Does Wes Hoolahan play a key role in helping us get on top in a game and ultimately creating chances to score? I have neither the time or the resources to find out but I do know that it is equally important as whether he delivers the final pass which sets up a goal or scores it himself. I have no idea whether Gill can deliver a decent set piece either but maybe we should find out before we dismiss the idea.

Thank you for your patronising examples of when I should and should not use the word ''if''. Truly it was most helpful. I tend not to start threads on subjects unless I''ve given some thought as to whether such an outcome may occur. I look forward to your next thread concerning what we should do ''if'' Adam Drury decides to have a sex change or ''if'' Jon Otsemobor is found to be the second coming of Jesus Christ. After all you can''t be too careful.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[/quote]

So you don''t think that winning games scores you goals then?

[/quote]

No I genuinely, 100%, believe that team who scores the most goals at the final whistle wins the game and gets the 3 points.

Look, I would not miss Hoolohan, and you would. I feel that just understanding that two people can have differing opinions on a particular subject is much more constructive than preeching our opinions at each other. Like I have already said, I have my opinion and I am not going to change it. Whether you choose to share that opinion is up to you, and you have chosen not to share that opinion. There is nowhere else that this conversation needs to go. If everybody agreed on everything then the world would be a very peaceful place, it would also be a very boring place. 

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

who scored the goal of the season vs southampton/???

oh yeah, HOOLAHAN!!

[/quote]

Ryan Jarvis once scored a good goal against Liverpool, last season he scored 0 goals in 30 games in League One. This means nothing.

Just watching everybody criticise the club for considering the sale of Wes Hoolohan. In my opinion the sooner he goes the better, if we get 400k - 600k for him then we would have done well. In 35 appearances last year he scored 2 goals (in 37 shots) and made 3 assists.  

If he is going to stay at Norwich I expect a hell of a lot more from him, and if he isnt going to want to be here then he is hardly going to pull his finger out of his brown tunnel. His record at Blackpool wasnt all that much better in the season before we signed him, he scored 5 goals in 46 games (in 61 shots) but still only made 5 assists.

The only thing he bring to the team is an astonishing amount of free kicks that he wins the team, but unless we learn to utilise set pieces then I cant see what he really offers us anyway. People criticised Lee Croft for his crossing ability, but with 5 goals (in 25 shots) and 3 assists in 36 games, he was a lot more effective for our attack than Wes Hoolohan.

There is absolutely no point whatsoever in having decent strikers at this club if we are going to have non creative wingers again.

Oh and by the way, the ''past it'' Darren Huckerby made 7 assists and scored 5 goals (34 shots) in 36 appearances for us in his last season at Carrow Road (only a year ago guys). A much better record than his so called replacement and last seasons player of the year.

Stop over rating Hoolohan, he is sub standard and his under performance last season puts just as much blame on him than any other player in the squad last year.

[/quote]

Yet you made the following statement about Hoolahan in my recent thread about him here:

''I disagree with this, I thought that we were just starting to see

the real Wes Hoolohan when Gunn came in and started playing him as an

attacking midfielder, scored a goal or two (at last) and generally

looked menacing before getting wiped out for the season by injury.

In fact, I couldnt disagree more, he was instrumental in Gunns early

good form..... and his loss was instrumental in the sudden loss of that

form. We missed Hoolohan a hell of a lot.''

Talk about contradiction!  [:P]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

Just watching everybody criticise the club for considering the sale of Wes Hoolohan. In my opinion the sooner he goes the better, if we get 400k - 600k for him then we would have done well. In 35 appearances last year he scored 2 goals (in 37 shots) and made 3 assists.  

If he is going to stay at Norwich I expect a hell of a lot more from him, and if he isnt going to want to be here then he is hardly going to pull his finger out of his brown tunnel. His record at Blackpool wasnt all that much better in the season before we signed him, he scored 5 goals in 46 games (in 61 shots) but still only made 5 assists.

The only thing he bring to the team is an astonishing amount of free kicks that he wins the team, but unless we learn to utilise set pieces then I cant see what he really offers us anyway. People criticised Lee Croft for his crossing ability, but with 5 goals (in 25 shots) and 3 assists in 36 games, he was a lot more effective for our attack than Wes Hoolohan.

There is absolutely no point whatsoever in having decent strikers at this club if we are going to have non creative wingers again.

Oh and by the way, the ''past it'' Darren Huckerby made 7 assists and scored 5 goals (34 shots) in 36 appearances for us in his last season at Carrow Road (only a year ago guys). A much better record than his so called replacement and last seasons player of the year.

Stop over rating Hoolohan, he is sub standard and his under performance last season puts just as much blame on him than any other player in the squad last year.

[/quote]

Yet you made the following statement about Hoolahan in my recent thread about him here:

''I disagree with this, I thought that we were just starting to see the real Wes Hoolohan when Gunn came in and started playing him as an attacking midfielder, scored a goal or two (at last) and generally looked menacing before getting wiped out for the season by injury.

In fact, I couldnt disagree more, he was instrumental in Gunns early good form..... and his loss was instrumental in the sudden loss of that form. We missed Hoolohan a hell of a lot.''

[/quote]

That was before three seperate and unrelated people told me that we were talking about Mark Yeates.

AND..... in that very thread I also said IF he wants to leave then we should sell him!  

He DID start playing a lot better under Gunn, as an attacking midfielder. But what formation are we going to play for that? Im not having him in centre midfield in League One, we would be sliced open. Big, strong players that can tackle are needed in the centre of the park in league one. I want to see us play 4-4-2 and he has been completely ineffective on the left wing.

So I stick by my opinion that there is no place for Hoolohan in our squad, especially if we can sign somebody like Yeates. Obviously I would take Hoolohan over many left wingers, particularly people like Paul McVeigh, but Mark Yeates? Mark Yeates is top draw.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[/quote]

''I disagree with this, I thought that we were just starting to see the real Wes Hoolohan when Gunn came in and started playing him as an attacking midfielder, scored a goal or two (at last) and generally looked menacing before getting wiped out for the season by injury.

In fact, I couldnt disagree more, he was instrumental in Gunns early good form..... and his loss was instrumental in the sudden loss of that form. We missed Hoolohan a hell of a lot.''

[/quote]

That was before three seperate and unrelated people told me that we were talking about Mark Yeates.

AND..... in that very thread I also said IF he wants to leave then we should sell him!  

He DID start playing a lot better under Gunn, as an attacking midfielder. But what formation are we going to play for that? Im not having him in centre midfield in League One, we would be sliced open. Big, strong players that can tackle are needed in the centre of the park in league one. I want to see us play 4-4-2 and he has been completely ineffective on the left wing.

So I stick by my opinion that there is no place for Hoolohan in our squad, especially if we can sign somebody like Yeates. Obviously I would take Hoolohan over many left wingers, particularly people like Paul McVeigh, but Mark Yeates? Mark Yeates is top draw.

[/quote]

So you agree with pretty much all I said in my ''Hoolahan'' thread [url=http://www.pinkun.com/cs/forums/1728204/ShowPost.aspx]here.[/url]Good man, you''re learning son.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

2. Where has it been said by anyone at the club they are considering selling Hoolahan? - Where has it been said that they are not considering selling Hoolohan?

[/quote][/quote]You can''t really argue with that...On that basis, where has it been said that they are not considering closing down the football ground and turning it into a giant outdoor Skoda showroom?

[/quote]

Is Bryan Gunn consulting you then? Yeates does look a good player but to say he is top draw is alittle off the mark. He''s playing in a team where there is very little pressure on him in front of small crouds in a very similar situation to Hoolahans just a league lower when he was at Blackpool where he also looked a really good player. Is there actually any evidence at all to suggest Yeates is signing for us anyway?

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So you agree with pretty much all I said in my ''Hoolahan'' thread [url=http://www.pinkun.com/cs/forums/1728204/ShowPost.aspx]here.[/url]

Good man, you''re learning son.
[/quote]

Yeah I suppose I pretty much do agree with what you said there. I do believe that he is a good player, but I cannot see how we can utilise him to his full ability. He is not effective on the left wing and I cant see him doing a great deal anywhere in a 4-4-2.  I want us to play with 2 wingers and 2 strikers, so I cant see how we can accomodate Hoolohan as an attacking central midfielder.

Without two centre mids on the pitch with strong defensive capabilities, who are more box to box, I cant see how it would work.  In the promotion season we had Holt and Francis, with Holt staying deep and Francis being more box-to-box. I just think that we would be leaving ourself completely open with Hoolohan playing centre mid, and I cant see the benefit of playing a 4-3-2-1 or anything similar....... you dont play with a loan striker in league two, we are not man utd.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

2. Where has it been said by anyone at the club they are considering selling Hoolahan? - Where has it been said that they are not considering selling Hoolohan?

[/quote][/quote]

You can''t really argue with that...

On that basis, where has it been said that they are not considering closing down the football ground and turning it into a giant outdoor Skoda showroom?

[/quote]

Well Lotus arent doing too well, so Skoda may well consider moving in on their patch!

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[/quote]

Is Bryan Gunn consulting you then? Yeates does look a good player but to say he is top draw is alittle off the mark. He''s playing in a team where there is very little pressure on him in front of small crouds in a very similar situation to Hoolahans just a league lower when he was at Blackpool where he also looked a really good player. Is there actually any evidence at all to suggest Yeates is signing for us anyway?

[/quote]

Well the best third party to consult would be Cam, but he is still serving his suspension!

[quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So you agree with pretty much all I said in my ''Hoolahan'' thread [url=http://www.pinkun.com/cs/forums/1728204/ShowPost.aspx]here.[/url]Good man, you''re learning son.[/quote]

Yeah I suppose I pretty much do agree with what you said there. I do believe that he is a good player, but I cannot see how we can utilise him to his full ability. He is not effective on the left wing and I cant see him doing a great deal anywhere in a 4-4-2.  I want us to play with 2 wingers and 2 strikers, so I cant see how we can accomodate Hoolohan as an attacking central midfielder.

Without two centre mids on the pitch with strong defensive capabilities, who are more box to box, I cant see how it would work.  In the promotion season we had Holt and Francis, with Holt staying deep and Francis being more box-to-box. I just think that we would be leaving ourself completely open with Hoolohan playing centre mid, and I cant see the benefit of playing a 4-3-2-1 or anything similar....... you dont play with a loan striker in league two, we are not man utd.

[/quote]

Same here, Juan, two out and out wide men such as Yeats and the Barnet chap whose name defeats me at this time - both with stacks of pace and reliable crossers of the ball. We''ve been missing that for too many seasons now.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[/quote]

No I genuinely, 100%, believe that team who scores the most goals at the final whistle wins the game and gets the 3 points.

Look, I would not miss Hoolohan, and you would. I feel that just understanding that two people can have differing opinions on a particular subject is much more constructive than preeching our opinions at each other. Like I have already said, I have my opinion and I am not going to change it. Whether you choose to share that opinion is up to you, and you have chosen not to share that opinion. There is nowhere else that this conversation needs to go. If everybody agreed on everything then the world would be a very peaceful place, it would also be a very boring place. 

[/quote]

Nice selective quoting there [:|]

I find it amusing that you want ''understanding'' on ''differing opinions'' as this is ''constructive'' despite the fact you come across as one of the rudest and most opinionated posters here when anyone dares to disagree. You obviously don''t even want to consider other opinions as your quoting of just one sentence from my previous post quite clearly shows. I''ll just assume that ''there is nowhere else that this conversation needs to go'' as deep down you know I''m right [:P]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

HOOLAHAN, is a key player, for our success next season, he is a match winner, he is a quality player, he is a player we must keep hold of!!!

You may not like him, but then again your favourite player is probably stuart nelson!

[/quote]

NO

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I find it amusing that you want ''understanding'' on ''differing opinions'' as this is ''constructive'' despite the fact you come across as one of the rudest and most opinionated posters here when anyone dares to disagree. You obviously don''t even want to consider other opinions as your quoting of just one sentence from my previous post quite clearly shows. I''ll just assume that ''there is nowhere else that this conversation needs to go'' as deep down you know I''m right [:P]

[/quote]

Look pal, I just told you that I can respect your opinion, If you cannot respect my opinion then thats fine. Its a lovely day outside, I unfortunately cannot go outside right now, but I also do have a limited amount of time that I would like to spend talking to somebody that is never going to agree with me on a very small thing. Just acknowledging that we have different opinions is, again, the best way to go. Agreeing to disagree in my opinion remains the best way forward.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Look pal, I just told you that I can respect your opinion, If you cannot respect my opinion then thats fine. Its a lovely day outside, I unfortunately cannot go outside right now, but I also do have a limited amount of time that I would like to spend talking to somebody that is never going to agree with me on a very small thing. Just acknowledging that we have different opinions is, again, the best way to go. Agreeing to disagree in my opinion remains the best way forward.

[/quote]

And....... plus Houston is online and I am finding disagreeing with him a hell of a lot more on the confederations cup thread [:P]

So Yeates who has pretty much played most of his career since leaving Spurs in league 1 is "top drawer" partly because he has been linked with palace? Yet Hoolahan who was clearly top notch at league 1 level and one of the most sought after players in the championship last summer is not?

Hoolahan is more proven and IMHO a better player than Yeates.

Having said that if Hoolahan were sold Yeates would be an adequate replacement but i doubt Col U would sell him to us.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

So Yeates who has pretty much played most of his career since leaving Spurs in league 1 is "top drawer" partly because he has been linked with palace? Yet Hoolahan who was clearly top notch at league 1 level and one of the most sought after players in the championship last summer is not?

Hoolahan is more proven and IMHO a better player than Yeates.

Having said that if Hoolahan were sold Yeates would be an adequate replacement but i doubt Col U would sell him to us.

[/quote]

No Yeates is top drawer because I have seen Hoolohan play many times, have seen Yeates play many times, and have come to my personal conclusion that Yeates is a more accomplished and all round player. I wouldnt say that Hoolohan was one of the most sought after players last summer, as far as I am aware he was wanted by Charlton and Norwich. Two teams that subsequently were relegated. 

Yeates looks as if he is going to Middlesbrough for 500k, so working by your silly logic he is in fact a better player? Remember that Yeates is 24 and Hoolohan is 27. Three years ago Hoolohan had not even yet signed for Blackpool and was at Livingstone. Surely that Yates the more ''proven'' player at this stage in his career?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11702_5398846,00.html

We are not getting Yeates, and looking at that article we would have no chance against Sheffield United, Bristol City, Crystal Palace or Middlesbrough.

I predice that Yeates will have a superb season in the Championship and if he does, I will be reminding you of this thread!

Great post, Shack. Saved me typing it myself. There''s so much more to football than statistics. Juan, if you really think that we could replace Hoolahan with a better player, fair enough. Personally, I doubt it, therefore I really hope he stays. If he does, Gunn has to work out where to play him. I agree with the Shack that he looks more dangerous in a free role.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Sorry Juan but you''re taking an oversimplistic viewpoint by only basing your opinion on bare statistics. There is so much more to a game of football than that. Do goals win games or do you score goals by winning games? You admit yourself that he earns a hell of a lot of free kicks for the team. So surely the best idea would be to bring in somebody who can take a decent set piece? Can Gill deliver a decent free kick?You also seem convinced that Hoolahan doesn''t want to be here although there seems to be no evidence to suggest that this is true.

Hoolahan had a difficult first season, that seems pretty clear to me. I would suggest that regardless of final league position it''s a pretty big step to go from playing in front of one man and his dog at Blackpool to 25,000 at Carrow Road where you''ve just been brought in to replace a former crowd idol. I also don''t think he has been helped by being moved around the pitch so much. He started off slowly as an orthodox left winger but by the time Roeder had given him more of a free reign around the time of the Ipswich home game he had started to look dangerous. In fact it was around this time, when Roeder was sending us out in a fairly loose 4-2-3-1 with Clingan and Pattison being the more defensive midfielders and Bell, Hoolahan and Croft playing behind Lita, that we actually started to look half decent.

I''d like to see us keep Hoolahan and build a side around him based on him either having a free role behind a lone striker (Lee?) or as part of a central midfield three with a licence to roam. Stick him out on the left and expect him to be Darren Huckerby and you might as well get rid.

[/quote]