Sign in to follow this  
SNAP

Smoke & Mirrors

Call me an old sceptic (but with this Board what else should we be?). The Manager has supposedly got a budget with which to work. A War Chest it’s often called. Are we to assume that we started with a blank piece of paper with a big zero at the top of the page before supporters were encouraged to let the Board that took us into Division 3 keep our rebates -  the rebates we were promised in the event of another dismal and depressing season ending in the ultimate failure? OK then let’s start from there.

Along comes a new CEO and he tells us all available money will be going into the football budget. So far so good. We’ve already sold David Marshall to Cardiff. We paid £1m for him and let’s assume that as he is nearer the top of the international pecking order so let’s say we managed to shoot ourselves in the foot again and received just £400k for him. Sounds like Carrow Road good business to me. With the £700k from supporters and Michael Foulger we should be in a healthy Division 3 position even before we sell Sammy Clingan for a knock down £500k. By my reckoning our Zero is now about to approach £1.6m without the huge savings being made on the salaries of all those overpaid Premier Crocks who were treated to a spell of convalescence at Dunston Hall at our expense. We also have the other rodents wishing to jump ship and we should get a few bob for them.

Sorry for the ramble but logic dictates that we should be pretty well equipped for an immediate return to the dizzy heights of The Championship if it’s possible to buy ones way out of Div 3.

Why, then, do I detect a “Smoke & Mirrors” scenario developing as we are told that the recent FREE transfers had already been budgeted for in the £700k now available? Agent’s fees? Can’t be that much on a free transfer, can they? My concern is that we will never get a better chance to get out of the Hell Hole that is Division 3 and already I’m detecting a sense that the Board will somehow find a way to sidetrack the money to fund the bank repayments while the football side will continue to be starved of funds. Am I alone in this dark place?

Are you assuming the wages for those players are included in the budget or not?

[quote user="SNAP"]

and already I’m detecting a sense that the Board will somehow find a way to sidetrack the money to fund the bank repayments while the football side will continue to be starved of funds. Am I alone in this dark place?

[/quote]And how would you fund "bank repayments"? Or would you just hope it goes away. Not sure what your point is actually

I think the new Chief Exec is basically calling the shots at Carra Road now in all honesty and at the moment he''s got my full and complete trust that he''ll do the job properly and balance the debt re-payments without damageing the football side of things. He knows full well that a return to the Championship would be a financial boost that would help clear that debt.

I firmly beleive that his plan and until i see evidence to show me otherwise i''m sticking to that opinion.

Unfortunately I don''t think our board and Mr Doncaster were sensible enough to have the rebate money saved away when in case we got relegated. As a result I think you will find that the £700k odd that has to be paid back to the 60 odd % of season ticket holders you wanted there money back will in fact actually be coming out of the playing budget. As a result in stead of start with a zero balance sheet we actually with a large minus figure.

[quote user="happy clappy hughes"]Unfortunately I don''t think our board and Mr Doncaster were sensible enough to have the rebate money saved away when in case we got relegated. As a result I think you will find that the £700k odd that has to be paid back to the 60 odd % of season ticket holders you wanted there money back will in fact actually be coming out of the playing budget. As a result in stead of start with a zero balance sheet we actually with a large minus figure.[/quote]Classic

[quote user="happy clappy hughes"]Unfortunately I don''t think [/quote]You should have stopped there....

[quote user="happy clappy hughes"]Unfortunately I don''t think our board and Mr Doncaster were sensible enough to have the rebate money saved away when in case we got relegated. As a result I think you will find that the £700k odd that has to be paid back to the 60 odd % of season ticket holders you wanted there money back will in fact actually be coming out of the playing budget. As a result in stead of start with a zero balance sheet we actually with a large minus figure.[/quote]

...hadn''t thought of that - thanks for darkening my gloom!