Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Jarvis deserves to start against Sunderland

Despite only being on the pitch for approx 15 minutes I thought Jarvis played exceptionally well and deserves to get a start against Sunderland. In my opinion, if Huckerby is still injured, then start Jarvis alongside Crouch. He is more mobile and quicker than Rivers and a lot more composed on the ball. He was unlucky with one great shot and absolutely mesmerised the Derby defence with one of his runs into the box. If he can do this in 15 minutes what can he do in 90?

Great second half team performance from all the players but those two saves by Green were
unbelievable. I hope we do go up this year or I fear some premier side will try and entice Green away. Finally, I thought the noise our fans generated in the second half helped to compensate for only having 10 men. It is nights like tonight that make you feel proud to be a Canary supporter.

How can you say Jarvis deserves to start on Saturday. We all no wot superb potential he has but at the moment that is all it is potential and if we want him to turn out to be the star which his potential offers for the moment we need to keep it to brief appearences. And as for saying hes quicker then Mark Rivers. Well I think apart from Huckerby of course you will not find a quicker player then Rivers in this Division.

I totally agree with your comments Jonathan. I also just can''t understand this constant moaning about Rivers. He was superb when he came on as sub against West Ham and was almost as good last night.
Play him deep and ask him to tackle like at West Brom and he will struggle. There are many top players in the Spanish and Italian leagues that are played to their strengths and are not required to be ball winners. He can be frustrating but I find him exciting on the ball and he keeps his marker occupied.
Now if you want a really good moan, how about the golden days of Sutch and Llewellyn? Can it be really true they both played in the same team for months on end?
Last biased comment on last night''s game. Drury was fouled and it was a penalty. McVeigh won the ball cleanly - no penalty. Twice taken penalty was a bit harsh on Derby.
Overall fantastic performance from all the team and still pushing forward until the end. Dear old Malkay worries me though.

I stick by my original comment that Jarvis is a better prospect to start alongside Crouch. He is more mobile, reads the game better and will cause more problems than Rivers ever will. As regards quicker players, Harper and Henderson look pretty quick, Forster and Tyson at Reading, Johnson and Harewood at Forest, Defoe and Connolly at West Ham and probably a few more.

Finally, it is no good having a player with loads of potential if you only let him have 15 mins every 6-8 games. If Rooney is good enough at 17 for Everton and England then Jarvis at least deserves a full 90 mins for Norwich.

Worthy is bringing him in gradually - but fear not, he''s sure to start getting full games or 70 mins once the loans have gone back. His chance will come and once Hucks has gone (and he will go) it will be down to the boy to start stepping in with goals if we want to stay top 6. Then we will see if he has what it takes yet. It will be interesting.
I think he can cut it - he looks to have the right attitude and to be mentally strong and that''s all important at that age. I can''t imagine him ranting and raving Rooney style at the ref. That kid is starting to worry me! He''s beginning to make Alan Smith in his early years look like a little poppit! And when was the last time the kid actually scored for Everton? Jarvis is more in the Shearer mould mentally, and that can only be good.

Jarvis is a great prospect. ''An old head on young shoulders'' has never rung so true.
There are a few on this board who seem to think Huckers going is a foregone conclusion. I am so sure..............!!

I agree with you abiut Mackay Bury belvoir and I feel that now is the time for shackell to be blooded in alongside maybe Drury when Brennan is fit leaving Brennan to slot in at left back as I also feel Fleming sometimes looks a wee bit shackey as for silver foxes comments thank you for aggreeing with me and i also feel his comments about Henderson being quickwer then rivo as rediculous when have we ever seen hendo take on a man and get past him.

Hi Mr Belvoir
I have to slightly disagree with you over Mackay. He does look crude and ungainly at times but is generally effective. What is important is his commitment and drive which cannot be faulted and his 3 or 4 goals a season are worth about 9 points.He is the modern Duncan Forbes and when he does go I doubt our defensive record will improve. Perhaps he can be coached not to kick the ball quite so hard! I do like Shakell but he must be eased in like Jarvis rather than be treated like Easton either by the manager (ie Wigan) or by crowd comments.

Yeah, I''m with Heraldo on this one. I do agree that Malks is ... um ... rather primitive in his footballing skills, but conceeding goals has never really been an issue for NCFC over the past two seasons. I don''t really rate Flemming either, but to say we put a young ''un and a left back as our central defensive partnership is a bit too simple. It takes years to develop a true understanding of that position, strikers is a different story, but centre backs generally have to have a good experience before they really show their potential. I don''t think a possible promotion season is the right time to bring in a young defender, and expose him to the pressure and pace of the top flight, where points a REALLY hard to come by and mistakes will be punished. Malky''s got thick skin, but we don''t know how Shackell will react should he make a couple of howlers. I would have thought it could do him some harm.

Jonathan, you will not see Henderson take people on in the first division because, like Jarvis, he rarely gets a chance. If you get a chance to watch him in the reserves you will see how fast he is . I don''t know whether you went to the away game at Northampton but on that night Rivers did not even take on a division 3 defender. On numerous occasions Edworthy passed Rivers standing on the halfway line, which reiterates my comment that Jarvis is more mobile and always makes himself available. On that evening the only 2 players who came out of the game with any praise were Jarvis and Henderson.

Don''t get me wrong I do like Rivers but quite often you cannot predict which one will turn up. Will it be the flamboyant player who takes people on or the other one who just stands there while our own defenders pass him by. My arguement is that given the choice I would start with Jarvis and if it doesn''t work then bring Rivers on at half time.

Nice to see some good balanced arguements on the board rather than just slagging off those just down the road. I think it is always difficult when you have real !00%ters such as Mackay and Holt, one almost feels guilty about suggesting that they should be dropped, and of course Worthy is quite right to show loyalty to such players. Not only does it pay off in matches, it also pays off in the changing room and in the dressing room, and if Worthy has done one thing in his time here, he has now got a bunch of players who are pulling in the same direction, and keep going to the end, a great difference from the lacklustre days of Hamilton.. However, both Shackell and Jarvis cannot be denied too long, if they are good enough they are old enough. Living in Sweden I am a bit out of touch, what has happened to Briggs, I thought he was going to really come good - worth a try on the right midfield so that francis can stay in the centre?