Sign in to follow this  
Next door to Boyer

The 'rebate offer' was a PR blunder...

Initially I thought it was just a point Foulger wanted to make about him backing the club while times were bad.

But it did make me think that if he could afford the 1 million, had no

rebates been taken, then why offer to give it to the club

dependant upon whether the supporters are backing them/him ?By offering the club money in this way, he brought in the supporters and asked us a question about our willingness to support the club financially, with another act of generosity, which he would match. But it was the wrong time to ask for a financial demonstration of our support. The fans are hurting, clearly the supporters have been showing their backing by going to

games and purchasing the season tickets over 2,3,4.. very disappointing

seasons, our support is not in question. But to ask for another financial gesture at the end of a season like 09 with the current financial climate was just unnecesary.The club made £700k  for transfer funds made from the

rebates offer, £300k down had Foulger just put in £1 million.Plus lets

assume the 350k from the supporters who decided not to take a rebate

added to Foulgers 1 million and we may have had a xfer kitty of

£1,350,000 !

Plus whatever we get for Clinghan, Hoolahan and whoever else ??I don''t know what PR wise the rebate offer was trying to achieve or ask; but all it does is cause discussion and give air time to critisism.

Look , the guy made an offer to the fans, "If you back the team building then so will I " 30 odd % of the season ticket holders took up the challenge to back their beloved club and he matched their donation. For the life of me I can not see why he is now being made out to be some sort of con artist!!  In the past there have been Threads on here and stuff in the media saying that fans wanted to put money up to buy players , well , he called their bluff and 2/3 of the season tichet holders decided for several different reasons not to do it. That''s fair enough but PLEASE get off the guy''s back! He kept his part of the deal .

I agree its been a PR nightmare. All its done is to divide the fans even more. A better approach would have been to announce the money matching today, after the final tallies have been counted.

NO NO NO.The club has increased its PLAYING BUDGET by 700K.  That is an entirely different thing altogether.However that fact makes your point even more valid as it was deffo sold to us, I believe, that the cash would be transfer budget, yet suddenly Foulger described it yesterday as playin budget, and made the point that players brought in already were in that 700K.Another effing Carrow Road PR disaster to wedge between us and them.[quote user="Next door to Boyer"]Initially I thought it was just a point Foulger wanted to make about him backing the club while times were bad.

But it did make me think that if he could afford the 1 million, had no

rebates been taken, then why offer to give it to the club

dependant upon whether the supporters are backing them/him ?By offering the club money in this way, he brought in the supporters and asked us a question about our willingness to support the club financially, with another act of generosity, which he would match. But it was the wrong time to ask for a financial demonstration of our support. The fans are hurting, clearly the supporters have been showing their backing by going to

games and purchasing the season tickets over 2,3,4.. very disappointing

seasons, our support is not in question. But to ask for another financial gesture at the end of a season like 09 with the current financial climate was just unnecesary.The club made £700k  for transfer funds made from the

rebates offer, £300k down had Foulger just put in £1 million.Plus lets

assume the 350k from the supporters who decided not to take a rebate

added to Foulgers 1 million and we may have had a xfer kitty of

£1,350,000 !

Plus whatever we get for Clinghan, Hoolahan and whoever else ??I don''t know what PR wise the rebate offer was trying to achieve or ask; but all it does is cause discussion and give air time to critisism.
[/quote]

What Foulger should have said:

"We, the board, despite having done our very best have made errors in the running of the club. This has ended up in us getting relegated. But we are now extremely determined to get back to the Championship as soon as possible. The rebates that we offered to return to fans if relegated will cost the club a little over £1m. Now, to demonstrate how determined we are I am hereby donating £1m out of my own pocket to go towards the player budget for the coming season. £1m will help but £2m would be even better. So I ask you as season ticket holders to match my donation pound for pound and let the club keep the rebate money to be spent on Players by Brian in the coming weeks."

If Carrow Road PR department want to sign me up, I charge EXTORTIONATE fees.